Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_2868.jpg

k5-p4.jpg

k1-1.jpg

IMG_0715_edit-1.jpg

IMG_2142_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice ones there Rich and a good variety - sadly I've had little time of late.

Highlights for me:

Love the blackcap (3) - one of my favourite birds and this year I've had zero luck.

Nice pose on the Bullfinch (4)

Liking the composition on the Coalie (7)

Goldcrest (10) always a pleasure - tricky little devils

Wren (11) Love the low viewpoint. The water is a bonus and the oof foreground works well.

Might just blow the dust off my camera having seen these ;)

Last edited:
Lovely set u8myufo, and what we were looking for.... everywhere. :D.
Thanks for posting and let's see some more.
Gordon.

Cheers guy`s, yes Phil dust it all off and get back out there, you have always produced some very good work. Gordon, as much as I would like to post more up my kit has all gone.I only have the EOS-M and my plan was to either get a scope to attach or an old 70-200 Canon.Hey it still might happen when circumstances change a bit.Thanks for stopping by.
Rich

Thanks for posting those Rich. A great set. Love the Bullfinch and Goldcrest - in part because don't see Bullfinches here and the Goldcrest never keeps still for long enough. Not sure about the background for the Kestrel shot with the brickwork. Hope you can get some gear sorted because would like to see some more.

Hi Rich, nice to see some good shots of local birds without having to pay someone hundreds of pounds to set them up for you. To me there is more merit in doing it yourself, than "pay your money and get your shots." IMO. Regards Ron.

Thanks for posting those Rich. A great set. Love the Bullfinch and Goldcrest - in part because don't see Bullfinches here and the Goldcrest never keeps still for long enough. Not sure about the background for the Kestrel shot with the brickwork. Hope you can get some gear sorted because would like to see some more.

No worries Steve.Like I say these had been up before but I think they were all lost in the changeover.Yup you are right about the brickwork, but as we know you just have to grab the shot.A couple more for you

IMG_8016_filtered.jpg

edit2_filtered.jpg

IMG_0220_filtered.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

Some very good images here Rich, I especially like the male and female Blackcaps.... as well as the Wren and Goldcrest.

nice to see these Rich.

I hoe things start looking up for you and you can get some gear again.

Blackcaps are always good to see - all your shots are very good in many ways, technically, subject and composition

Hi Rich, nice to see some good shots of local birds without having to pay someone hundreds of pounds to set them up for you. To me there is more merit in doing it yourself, than "pay your money and get your shots." IMO. Regards Ron.
In all fairness Ron, not everybody has the time , space nor inclination to get some of the nature shots they want. These people have no option other than to pay for somebody elses hard work.

Though I fully accept and understand your point of view, it is not always possible.

In all fairness Ron, not everybody has the time , space nor inclination to get some of the nature shots they want. These people have no option other than to pay for somebody elses hard work.

Though I fully accept and understand your point of view, it is not always possible.
Totaly agree Ade, if time and money would allow then hell yeh I would love to do a workshop.
A very nice set you have created here Rich - far from being "nothing special" :)
The first 3 images do seem to lack a little contrast/punch for my taste, compared with the others! - or is it just me being picky?

Russ

PS nice to see you posting again :)

Hi Russ,as you have commented I did not want to appear to be ignoring you, and I do not think for one minute you are being picky. I agree the first three are slightly less contrasty in comparison, they were taken in a good bright light but not exposed to direct sun so I tried to portray that in the PP on those.But as you say, to your taste they could be different.If you do not mind Russ it would be good if you could adjust those three to your liking,

Last edited:
Rich - love the Blackcaps; nice pose, nice perch, clean background and a lovely catchlight

Although I travel a lot I would agree with Ron that there is more satisfaction (rather than merit) in shots on a local patch. Certainly some of my favourite experiences and photos have been taken within 400 yards of my back door. But also agree with Ade and Rich - there is sometimes no alternative but a paid for, commercial set up - not too many Ospreys, Red Kites etc near Blackpool!

Hi Rich
Obviously, the light is everything in photography, and I take your point about the prevailing light when those first three were taken. As you know, my pp skills are not very good :(, but I'll rise to the challenge and have a go at adjustments later when I return home to the PC. (This could be a long thread, I suspect!)
Regards,
Russ

A really great set, I'm particularly taken with the Coal Tit, lovely perch, pose, background and exposure. I also rather like the Buzzard as the background gives you an idea of the habitat.

I can also associate with you Rich regards not being able to go out there at the minute, you enjoy seeing great shots but it's tough when you can't get out yourself, especially when you have idea's whizzing around your head of things you'd like to do.

Hi Rich
As requested, I have attempted to add a little contrast to your first three images (using LR5)....
What do you think?

Russ

Cheers Russ. The first two work but not sure about the Blackcap.In saying that the first two would not have been to my taste which as we know is all subjective and the usual we all see things slightly diferent and monitors are all diferent blah diddy blah blah :) In saying all that I have always had a hang up about things looking too shiny,I think it started from the early days of the latest graphic cards out,all pushing the boundries.People would say wow look how good this and that looks. And my arguement would be but it does not look like that in real life.Same with birds I suppose,you take species like the Goldfinch, Kingfisher,even a Mallard.Their plumage shines in the light with fantastic colours,even in an overcast light they have plenty of contrast to them.Not so for a lot of other birds unless the light is right and hitting them right. I appreciate the trouble you have gone to Russ,I have done a screen grab for a rough side by side comparison.Not the best solution but should give a rough idea,and as always I am up for listening to other peoples comments about it.

Birds1_zps15aa53b6.jpg

birds2_zpsb3f9feb0.jpg

Rich
It's great to have a mature, constructive debate on these issues. At the end of the day, all we all want is to display nice, representative images of our fantastic birdlife :)

Regards
Russ

It`s how it once was in here Russ and it is how it should be, any picture posted up should be thought provoking on every aspect of it just like in an art gallery.You may come out of it having learnt something or you may not,and that goes for the OP as well not just those who reply to a thread.

Cheers Russ. The first two work but not sure about the Blackcap.In saying that the first two would not have been to my taste which as we know is all subjective and the usual we all see things slightly diferent and monitors are all diferent blah diddy blah blah :) In saying all that I have always had a hang up about things looking too shiny,I think it started from the early days of the latest graphic cards out,all pushing the boundries.People would say wow look how good this and that looks. And my arguement would be but it does not look like that in real life.Same with birds I suppose,you take species like the Goldfinch, Kingfisher,even a Mallard.Their plumage shines in the light with fantastic colours,even in an overcast light they have plenty of contrast to them.Not so for a lot of other birds unless the light is right and hitting them right. I appreciate the trouble you have gone to Russ,I have done a screen grab for a rough side by side comparison.Not the best solution but should give a rough idea,and as always I am up for listening to other peoples comments about it.

Birds1_zps15aa53b6.jpg

birds2_zpsb3f9feb0.jpg

Assuming Russ is image is on the left I prefer his there seems to be more detail (possibly easier to see) and it's brighter but agree if that's not the light it was taken in then it's up to you how you present it.

Above is based on Russ's version on the left if not that put this in the bin and forget it was ever said.

Looks like the section is slowly getting sorted which is good to see.

Assuming Russ is image is on the left I prefer his there seems to be more detail (possibly easier to see) and it's brighter but agree if that's not the light it was taken in then it's up to you how you present it.

Above is based on Russ's version on the left if not that put this in the bin and forget it was ever said.

Looks like the section is slowly getting sorted which is good to see.

Comments appreciated Bryn.

Not that you had anything to prove to me Rich but I would happily settle for those in my portfolio.

Unfortunately someone has to get a dig in at someone elses expense once again in a thread. I despair of this section sometimes.

Back