Critique Nuthatch

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Spotted it moving up a dead tree on a walk this evening. Tree was backlit but the bird moved around into different lighting conditions

I'm no expert on nature unfortunately. I like the silhouettes (although that blob of whatever it is on the first silhouette would drive me nuts)

I'm wondering what they would look like with a bit of rotation? Especially the last one going a quarter turn clockwise.

I quite like the different take with the 'spotlight' effect in #1 but the silhouettes don't work for me as wildlife shots and unfortunately the last is soft of the bird itself. :)

sorry the first 3 dont really work at all for me, first is too dark, the silhouettes could be any bird and the last shot as said is soft

Stan

Thanks for all the replies. :)

I'm no expert on nature unfortunately. I like the silhouettes (although that blob of whatever it is on the first silhouette would drive me nuts)

I'm wondering what they would look like with a bit of rotation? Especially the last one going a quarter turn clockwise.

Yes it bugs me now I've seen it. Didn't see it before I posted or I'd have cloned it out - I think it's a fly.

I quite like the different take with the 'spotlight' effect in #1 but the silhouettes don't work for me as wildlife shots and unfortunately the last is soft of the bird itself. :)

The first one is my favourite of them as well. The silhouettes were a bit of an accident as the challenging lighting made the camera create something close to that exposure and I helped it along a bit in LR. I kind of like them as they are very different to anything I've done before and I've not really seen bird or wildlife shots done like them before.

Yes the last one is a bit softer than I realised. I thought it was just noisy.

sorry the first 3 dont really work at all for me, first is too dark, the silhouettes could be any bird and the last shot as said is soft

Stan

Take your point about they could be any bird, but I think the nuthatch has a bit of a distinctive shape / stance and I selected the two shots I thought showed this the best, but I suppose it would be hard to guess what it was if you didn't know.

Last edited:
Its great to see some imagination Jon, but shots like these are always little 'marmite'!

For me personally, the first nearly works - I like the spotlight effect a lot but unfortunately the shooting angle lets you down - easy to say in hindsight but you needed to be further to your left for it to have worked.

For the silhouettes, the second with the Nutty going down is far stronger as the open beak is nice and the downwards descent clearly show the species.

As already mentioned, the last is a bit soft, looks like focus hit in front of the bird going by the bark.

Glad you're looking for something other that the normal shots, keep at it - makes thing more interesting

Mike

Its great to see some imagination Jon, but shots like these are always little 'marmite'!

For me personally, the first nearly works - I like the spotlight effect a lot but unfortunately the shooting angle lets you down - easy to say in hindsight but you needed to be further to your left for it to have worked.

For the silhouettes, the second with the Nutty going down is far stronger as the open beak is nice and the downwards descent clearly show the species.

As already mentioned, the last is a bit soft, looks like focus hit in front of the bird going by the bark.

Glad you're looking for something other that the normal shots, keep at it - makes thing more interesting

Mike

Thanks Mike. Marmite is what I was fully expecting!

Looks like I did miss focus on the last one - they are busy, fast moving little birds and don't sit and pose like a warbler sat on a branch singing...well this one wasn't anyway!

I wasn't still either, I was trying to chase it around the tree.

Back