off to chester zoo

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
as thread tittle iam off to the zoo which lens to take ? 24-105 or my100-400 and or the1.4x extender :thinking:(y)

I don't know that zoo but when I go to my local zoo I've found that the 100-400 is the best bet for animal shots.

Here are a couple of shots from my local zoo, both with a 100-400, no other lens I have would have allowed me to get these shots.

http://www.blueskybirds.co.uk/notbirds/tigers_2836.jpg

http://www.blueskybirds.co.uk/notbirds/turaco_2772.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

You'll need the 100-400mm more than the 24-105mm , oh and a small mortgage to get in

When I was there earlier in the year the main lens i used was the 100 -400, I wish i could get back soon.

I had my 70-200 and for a lot of shots it wasn't long enough, so definitely take the 100-400mm. If you don't mind changing lenses/have a second body I'd take the 24-105mm as well though, as a lot of the animals have indoor enclosures as well and they can get pretty close to the glass.

Just the usual really, get down/up to eye level, try and get eye contact, or catch them doing something interesting.

If you have a lens hood use it indoors as it will steady the lens if you press it against the glass so you can use a lower shutter speed if necessary. If you go in the chimp breeding centre the ledge at the bottom is good to balance the lens on when they are sat on the floor.

The closest point to the wire mesh on most enclosures, the lions for example, is at the corners. Use a wide aperture to avoid focusing issues and switch to 3m+ focusing if your lens has the option. (Don't forget to change back though!)

The lights in the reptile section make for some cool shots (Komodo dragons, turtles etc) so have a look in there.

Just enjoy it really though, it costs enough to get in, so might as well take in the sights as well as getting the photos. :)

Just the usual really, get down/up to eye level, try and get eye contact, or catch them doing something interesting.

If you have a lens hood use it indoors as it will steady the lens if you press it against the glass so you can use a lower shutter speed if necessary. If you go in the chimp breeding centre the ledge at the bottom is good to balance the lens on when they are sat on the floor.

The closest point to the wire mesh on most enclosures, the lions for example, is at the corners. Use a wide aperture to avoid focusing issues and switch to 3m+ focusing if your lens has the option. (Don't forget to change back though!)

The lights in the reptile section make for some cool shots (Komodo dragons, turtles etc) so have a look in there.

Just enjoy it really though, it costs enough to get in, so might as well take in the sights as well as getting the photos. :)

thanks for taking the time to help (y)

just got back and had a quick look at my pics and well please with what ive seen other than mi batteries running out

hi ian you was right about the 100-400 the only lens i used ive posted some pics in the animal threads if you care to look (y)

oh and a small mortgage to get in

What ?? A Tenner or maybe 12 quid. Considering what's on offer to shoot there, that's nowt at all !!
Your 100-400 is the first choice but take both and spend some time in the monkey house, be patient and get as close as you can. Well worth it.

What ?? A Tenner or maybe 12 quid. Considering what's on offer to shoot there, that's nowt at all !!
Your 100-400 is the first choice but take both and spend some time in the monkey house, be patient and get as close as you can. Well worth it.

£14-95 adults with donation £16-45 but still worth every penny a proper full day out only used 100-400 never put 24-105 on the camera :bang:ranouta battery power what a idiot was showing full and didnt take back ups never again though:bonk::bonk:

Back