Official ID thread

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Here is the shiny new section for posting your pics for ID and information.

As many details/descriptions as possible would help track down information and help to ID your subject/s.

Also links to any info/pics to back up your answer would be great :)

There is a vast amount of knowledge between us and this is a great way to share and educate us all :)

Matt

:runaway: ID DATABASE AND USEFUL LINKS!!!:runaway:

A list of any sites used to confirm ID or that may help in future, keep posting links, I will keep adding them :)
General Database/sites.
Butterflies.
Flies.
Spiders.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff!

I might be using this thread a lot. My ignorance of insects knows no bounds, despite being fascinated by them.

Here's one to start. Any info. very welcome.

I.D. Soldier Fly. Chloromyia formosa

DSC_0222 by simon ess, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cool, Simon I'm thinking possibly a soldier fly for your one, but i haven't found a match yet.

This is fun this game :)

Matt well done for getting the sticky :)

Chris I know you wouldn't give in to such items, it is hard cash that speaks your language. ;) trust you are well old bean.

Chris I know you wouldn't give in to such items, it is hard cash that speaks your language. ;) trust you are well old bean.
LOL that as well Alby :D
I'm good thanks and trust you are too.

Last edited:
Matt shall we add websites that are handy for IDs to the original post.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/index.php#.U1ggBJK9KK0

I know I found a link posted in one of my posts that @TimmyG said he would favourite but I cant find it so hopefully he has it cant even remember what bug it was for.

Edit: Found it, it was a barkfly site

http://www.brc.ac.uk/schemes/barkfly/gallery.aspx
A list of useful bugs sites is a good idea, I have supplied a lot of photos on the brc barkfly site and it is a very useful resource.

That looks to me like a fly of the Heleomyzidae family. Not sure you'll be able to get further than that. There are a few similar looking species and you have to start counting bristles and noting their location. Still, there might be someone here who can enlighten us further.

Got a little black wasp I can't ID, anyone any ideas?

EDIT: Sorry folks, Flickr beat you too it ;) This is a female Chalcid wasp (Eurytomidae)

Check out the male here, looks to have some impressive antennae. Hopefully will stumble across one of these one day :)

Little Black Wasp by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

This was one from the south of Spain.

Last edited:
Would love ID on these guys please, around the same size as a fire ant, I assumed they were springtails of some sort but I thought springys were a lot smaller?

Found these nesting in some old rotting wood.

Also updated the OP with the links you all keep posting, glad the thread is working, keep it up :)

Matt

Springtail? by mattd85, on Flickr

Any room at the in. by mattd85, on Flickr

Look like earwig nymphs to me Matt. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back