Official ID thread

Spotted Crane-Fly - Nephrotoma appendiculata

I think

Any idea why the photos i put on here have been removed, i assume it can only be done by moderators. Is there some policy that i am unaware of. ?

Any idea why the photos i put on here have been removed, i assume it can only be done by moderators. Is there some policy that i am unaware of. ?

What are your shots of? If its not macro could be the reason.

They were macro images Mark , first they showed, then 2 disappeared, and finally the other two.

I don't know who Mark is lol and if that's the case not sure why they disappeared then tag in mods or RTM your post to ask for an answer.

Wow. That was quick. Thanks Alby. Looks like you definitely know your bugs. I have to say this was a lucky find and he/she moved to a nice place on the leaf for me.

Any idea s on this wee chap would be appreciated,it never moved from its safe haven, felt it was lying in wait.
red.jpg

Can anyone ID this fly, never seen one before

Fly
by NS NO, on Flickr

Think its is a horse fly of some sort... not 100% sure though never seen anything like it before.

Can you give us an idea of size and do you have any more photos showing profile?

Last edited:
Think its is a horse fly of some sort... not 100% sure though never seen anything like it before.

Can you give us an idea of size and do you have any more photos showing profile?

It was only about 1cm long, no more photos I'm afraid

First one looks like a sawfly, I had a similar one recently - Tenthredo sp.
Thanks very much, it is indeed a Tenthredo brevicornis.

Edit: Just realised they're so difficult to tell apart it could be any of several of the tenthredo family.

Last edited:
Hi, i would like help in finding out what this beauty is, wingspan was about 5-6 inches, body was long, maybe 4 inches with a split tail.
Dont forget, im in South of France..
Thanks
EDIT....It`s a "Antlion"

View attachment 13758

Last edited:
And a damselfly for ID, please. It could be a variation of a common blue but it may be a variable. I didn't know there was one called a variable. :/

View attachment 13902

Last edited:
How about this fella

Apparently it is a Miridae) Leptopterna dolabrata Thanks to Tim for the ID

Insect-1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back