Official ID thread

Hi guys, here's one I cant find in the books I have, there are similar ones shown but with enough differences for me to rule them out. Can anyone here help please.
Its around 10mm in length.
Probably going to be a common species and show my lack of knowledge up :oops: :$

TJS_2259 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

TJS_2264 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

I think this ones a Marbled Beauty - the foreshortening in the first pic threw me at first.

Cheers,

Dave

Grateful if someone could let me know which dragonfly this is.

Thanks
John

dragonfly.jpg

Thanks Bryn. I still can't find an id for #1 though if anyone else has an idea.

Protophormia terraenovae

or

protocalliphora azurea

Basically a Blue Bottle...

Need some other shots to determine exact species.

Last edited:
I think this ones a Marbled Beauty - the foreshortening in the first pic threw me at first.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave, I do appreciate you taking time to reply, I looked it up based on your ID and it looks spot on. To be honest, I did try to ID it, but got hopelessly lost, so thank you again (y)
Trev

Anyone know what this is? Scuttling across a pond. Nice green shell and swimming like Duncan Goodhew doing the breaststroke.
Sorry for the poor image - light was so harsh.

IMG_0679
by mickledore on Talk Photography

Anyone got a clue on these things can't find it in the book Chris mentioned though could be in the wrong section most likely. Only thing I know is it likes hiding especially behind grass blades.

Anyone got a clue on these things can't find it in the book Chris mentioned though could be in the wrong section most likely. Only thing I know is it likes hiding especially behind grass blades...

These are plant hoppers Bryn. I couldn't tell you the exact species, but you should be looking in the hemiptera section ;)

Any Idea on this beast only ever seen it twice in my garden but my has it scared the sh!te out me when flying past.

Hi, I don't suppose there's anyone who would be kind enough to identify this plant for me. We were out in a local gardens and thought we would like one for our garden and haven't a clue what it's called. Thanks in advance.

George.

0903 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Hi, I don't suppose there's anyone who would be kind enough to identify this plant for me. We were out in a local gardens and thought we would like one for our garden and haven't a clue what it's called. Thanks in advance.

George.

0903 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

That looks like the flower from a New zealand flax to me.

Hi
That looks like the flower from a New zealand flax to me.

Hi Alf, Many thanks indeed for your reply we're going to see if we can get or order one from our local centre.(y)

George.

This strange beastie is about 5mm long and was on a silver birch tree. Thought it may be a Tussock Moth Caterpillar but it seems to have legs and hopped of the trunk when I got too close.

Not brilliant quality Im afraid.................

Bug by 1979Bree, on Flickr
Bug2 by 1979Bree, on Flickr

I found this tiny creature on an oak tree any ideas it seemed to be carrying camouflage on its back. I only spotted it through the lens as I lined up another insect.

A lacewing nymph

On an oak tree by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
This strange beastie is about 5mm long and was on a silver birch tree. Thought it may be a Tussock Moth Caterpillar but it seems to have legs and hopped of the trunk when I got too close.

Not brilliant quality Im afraid.................

Bug by 1979Bree, on Flickr
Bug2 by 1979Bree, on Flickr
This looks like an overgrown misshaped vapourer moth caterpillar (probably not though)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Alf that is a pupae in the wall, you could dig it out and pop it in a small sealed vessel to see what emerges.

Updating the OP with links to sites and databases tonight and tomorrow, any suggestions ?

Back