Official Olympus E-PL5 thread. (other m4/3 are welcome too!) Show off your pics!

How often do you find yourself at the 14mm end wishing the lens was faster in terms of light?
Well so far not much, but I'm sure the time will come. A faster lens is always welcome, but want the pancake so the camera is more compact for the times when I don't want to take a bag. And when my Mrs says 'what you taking that lot for' hidden in a pocket keeps the peace!

Well so far not much, but I'm sure the time will come. A faster lens is always welcome, but want the pancake so the camera is more compact for the times when I don't want to take a bag. And when my Mrs says 'what you taking that lot for' hidden in a pocket keeps the peace!

My E-PM1 is what I slip into my man-bag every day. I don't get any comments any more - wahey! (taken with my Moto G and edited in Office, lol)

View attachment 13155

Yeah baby :D

img_8241.jpg

I have this mated to an RJ focal reducer, giving a sort of 50mm field of view... :)
Is that the one from ebay (china)? Does it give the extra stop as stated?

Yes and yes. It's great for shooting low light portraits etc. but edge sharpness is poor, so not good for landscapes.
What about macro, have you tried it?

Kinda, although playback defaults to the LCD which is annoying!

ahh annoying indeed, I have got used to using the Pana G3 EVF and not using the LCD at all and thought if the same is of the Oly then I would look at getting an EVF for my EPL-5 but probably not, although I like the idea of looking down into a VF, and of course with manual lenses its a godsend.

What about macro, have you tried it?

Not yet I'm afraid. Should be OK though I would have thought.

ahh annoying indeed, I have got used to using the Pana G3 EVF and not using the LCD at all and thought if the same is of the Oly then I would look at getting an EVF for my EPL-5 but probably not, although I like the idea of looking down into a VF, and of course with manual lenses its a godsend.

The EVF (VF-2 in this case) is really useful and makes the camera more useful to me for street shooting etc. I like the fact that I can use the touch screen though for shooting kids running around indoors etc. though. Variety is the spice of life and all that :D

Any recommendations with regards to a case for the EPL5 - something small that holds it with the 14-42 attached is all I'd need initially (y)

Any recommendations with regards to a case for the EPL5 - something small that holds it with the 14-42 attached is all I'd need initially (y)
Do you want waterproof, fashion, leather, belt, shoulder, expensive, cheap? There's a lot to choose from. Depends on use, likes etc.

Something small and compact - not fussed on being able to hold additional lenses.. Just the camera with 14-42 attached..

I'll be using it whilst out and about on my mobility scooter so I guess something that can hang from shoulder and be at hip level.. Either that or something small and compact that can hang off the scooter handles... Budget wise preferably under £30 (y)

Something small and compact - not fussed on being able to hold additional lenses.. Just the camera with 14-42 attached..

I'll be using it whilst out and about on my mobility scooter so I guess something that can hang from shoulder and be at hip level.. Either that or something small and compact that can hang off the scooter handles... Budget wise preferably under £30 (y)
I have a Crumpler Pretty Boy that would fit that description. Very well made and robust. It will shake of most showers but is not described as waterproof. It also has a belt loop that possibly would attach to your scooter handle. If you want waterproof, have alook at the smaller Lowepro bags that have AW in the title, they have a pull out cover for the bag. Something in the sliplock range would suit. All of these would be well under 30 quid.

I have a Crumpler Pretty Boy that would fit that description. Very well made and robust. It will shake of most showers but is not described as waterproof. It also has a belt loop that possibly would attach to your scooter handle. If you want waterproof, have alook at the smaller Lowepro bags that have AW in the title, they have a pull out cover for the bag. Something in the sliplock range would suit. All of these would be well under 30 quid.

Spot on - thanks for that (y)

There's a few different numbers in the Pretty Boy range - im guessing something like the 3000L should be about right?

Last edited:
Spot on - thanks for that (y)

There's a few different numbers in the Pretty Boy range - im guessing something like the 3000L should be about right?

Yeh, that will swallow it! I have the 650s bag because I prefer a tighter fit. But it will only fit the E-PL5 and 1 lens.
Here are some pics of it.

The first is with the kit lens (14-42) attached and strap inside.
The third is with the 75-300 attached, this way the bag is on a belt and the strap over my shoulder. Bit snug, but it fits!
View attachment 13454 View attachment 13455 View attachment 13456

I bought the Olympus street bag (medium) for peanuts on eBay, looks well retro! They make a small size bag too which I guess would be better suited to just one lens.

Thanks for that - love the retro look of the street case.. Although it doesn't look as though they do that design in a small..

Looks like I'll have to get the medium and then add a couple of lenses later on down the line to fill it :D

Last edited:
Are any of you using the EPL5 for street photography?

If you are or have done what lens(s) do you recommend?

I was contemplating either the 17mm pancake or the Panasonic 20mm f1.7... any thoughts? (y)

I personally prefer the 40mm perspective so I went with the 20/1.7. Not that I've done any street shooting with it yet anyway :D :D

From reading around online the Panasonic 20mm is lighter and out of the x2 has the better image quality - the Oly 17mm is quicker with its speed of auto-focus... so I think I'll be going for the 20mm once I've sold the rest of my DSLR kit (y)

I have just pulled the trigger on a Lensbaby Composer with Tilt Shift Transformer for my daddy's day pressie.. I used to enjoy my Lensbaby Muse on Canon and with this one being able to lock down tilt and focus it will be much easier to use, great for arty video too.. and at £69 delivered spanny new its all FTW for me.. only shame is I don't have any Nikon lenses any more as you can mount them to the Tilt Shift Transformer.

Back