Beginner oil on water

Hi, Mandy good first attempt. Cracking colours, I like RH transition between the orange and link.

Not sure if you cropped or not, but the focus looks a tad off. For me, it's a tad bright.

I also like it when there is something with a pattern on the BG or text.

Nice work.

Cheers.

Like it Mandy. Works well for me :)

Thanks very much.

Hi, Mandy good first attempt. Cracking colours, I like RH transition between the orange and link.

Not sure if you cropped or not, but the focus looks a tad off. For me, it's a tad bright.

I also like it when there is something with a pattern on the BG or text.

Nice work.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments not cropped this image, it does look a little bright i think I should of toned it down a little.

I agree that the focus is out. It also looks like you have shot it at a slight angle. When I do these, I tend to get right over the subject and shoot it straight on. Like this (I'll remove it if you want).

Rasta Planets-5
by Brashman 201, on Flickr

I did see yours it's very good, I did shoot it at a angle.
I did do another attempt at it yesterday this time from shooting above, not sure if the oil I am using helps or not. I think most people use olive oil I am only using flora sunflower oil.

My attempts I did yesterday, the set up was lid of casserole dish placed on top of a couple of sheets of white paper. No extra lighting used only the kitchen light was on. PP wise into cs3 image inverted and a gradient filter applied, then in LR5 for clarity and sharpening and toning down of colours, and cropping where needed.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/oil-on-water.527200/

I did see yours it's very good, I did shoot it at a angle.
I did do another attempt at it yesterday this time from shooting above, not sure if the oil I am using helps or not. I think most people use olive oil I am only using flora sunflower oil.

My attempts I did yesterday, the set up was lid of casserole dish placed on top of a couple of sheets of white paper. No extra lighting used only the kitchen light was on. PP wise into cs3 image inverted and a gradient filter applied, then in LR5 for clarity and sharpening and toning down of colours, and cropping where needed.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/oil-on-water.527200/

I tend to use a deeper dish rather than just the lid. That way you can get maybe 2-3 inches of water in it as apposed to about 1/4 of an inch in the lid. With this set up if you stir the oil in a bit you'll get some suspended in the water and not just sitting on the top (you have to be quick mind before it all floats up again:D). This'll give a more 3D effect adding depth to the pic.;) You also need to raise the dish about 6-9 inches above the card (I use DVD covers for this).

I've looked at the pics in the link and think there are still focus issues. Dunno if you're on af but as with most Macro stuff I'd suggest mf. With the above set up it's easier to focus on the oil as it's a fair bit detached from the bg which also helps with dof if you are using a large aperture.

I tend to use a deeper dish rather than just the lid. That way you can get maybe 2-3 inches of water in it as apposed to about 1/4 of an inch in the lid. With this set up if you stir the oil in a bit you'll get some suspended in the water and not just sitting on the top (you have to be quick mind before it all floats up again:D). This'll give a more 3D effect adding depth to the pic.;) You also need to raise the dish about 6-9 inches above the card (I use DVD covers for this).

I've looked at the pics in the link and think there are still focus issues. Dunno if you're on af but as with most Macro stuff I'd suggest mf. With the above set up it's easier to focus on the oil as it's a fair bit detached from the bg which also helps with dof if you are using a large aperture.

I did give the oil a bit of a stir up, and I used my 18-55 lens tried it, with AF and MF. I did have a go with the lid raised on top of a coke can but the results were horrid.

Ah well.

This is true.

Trial and error. I started with the lid as per Youtube but then tried the deeper dish and that works better for me (at least I think the results are pretty decent:)). Whatever suits you best is the way to go.

Thanks for taking the time to look, and share your tips much appreciated :).

Nae worries. If they help your shots improve a wee bit then job done. Once you get used to a system that suits you which you are comfortable with and the results are what you are aiming for it's a real buzz and very satisfying.

Back