Oil/ water ....Feel free to add yours :)

Name
susie
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a bit of free time today so I thought I'd have ago with my macro lens ...it was a choice between going digging in the compost bin and looking for globby's :eek: (something like that) or having been inspired by Clive @coopers to have a go with the oil and water.

It was harder than I expected and I only came away with one that I was quite pleased with...I found it was difficult to isolate the bubbles, but I liked the 'outer space' feel of this one.

All comments and handy hints welcome and thank you for looking.

susie :)

16322709586_e29d8a6c14_b.jpg

Last edited:
Right idea but very underexposed and not very well focused (ie quite soft),

Did you use a flash? You should use coloured card or material as a background for a better effect.

Here's a couple I did last year some time to give you an idea of the effects you can obtain. I does take a wee bit of practice but fairly simple once you get the basics right.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iDZ6ES]
[/url]

Im sure that big one is Mars :D Strange colours.
Not sure if its my eyes (anything is possible) but it does look out of focus a bit (sorry susie) Bugger, Bash beat me to it lol
Other than that, well done for not getting your hands dirty in the compost bin :D
Im thinking about having a go at this too :)

Last edited:
I like that. Very Third Rock. :D

Would love to see some BTS shots of the both setups for these. Love the images.

I like that. Very Third Rock. :D
Exactly what I was thinking !!

Well I think you made the better choice,far to cold today for digging around in the compost...
A decent first attempt and a very "outer space look" its like there revolving around the sun...my tips would be some more light and some sort of coloured pattern to reflect,placed under the dish.
Keep at it,it will happen :) its half the fun :banana:
Clive.

Susie, these are a good bit better but still need brightening up albeit you like darker images. These lose a lot of vibrance being underexposed. There's still a bit of a focus issue too. What lens and f/stop are you using, I can't see any exif.

Susie, these are a good bit better but still need brightening up albeit you like darker images. These lose a lot of vibrance being underexposed. There's still a bit of a focus issue too. What lens and f/stop are you using, I can't see any exif.

Thank you Brash ....now, this is when I have an eeeeek moment because I tend to be a wimp and use auto settings on my camera. Although I've promised myself I will try to get to grips with it this year. My lens is a 14- 45 and I used a Raynox 250 macro on it, with lens virtually fully extended. According to the exif it elected an f stop of 6.3. 5.6 and 5.2. In descending order.

The focus is I think mainly my fault the 250 is very sensitive and I was using the camera hand held using manual focus.

If its any use my link to Flickr is
https://www.flickr.com/photos/susiejb2/

Last edited:
Thank you Brash ....now, this is when I have an eeeeek moment because I tend to be a wimp and use auto settings on my camera. Although I've promised myself I will try to get to grips with it this year. My lens is a 14- 45 and I used a Raynox 250 macro on it, with lens virtually fully extended. According to the exif it elected an f stop of 6.3. 5.6 and 5.2. In descending order.

The focus is I think mainly my fault the 250 is very sensitive and I was using the camera hand held using manual focus.

OK then. I'd suggest upping the f/stop to f/11 - f/16 or higher if you can and use a flash too. I'm not too sure about the Raynox, I gave mine away and bought dedicated Macro lenses, I use the Canon MPE-65 or the Sigma 105, both great lenses. The 65 is a real b*****d to use because of the narrow dof but great when it comes off (as per the examples, which are not perfect but I was real happy with them). I do it hand held (ooooooh errrrr, matron:D) but feel free to use a tripod to steady the camera if needs be. I also use fully manual but you should experiment with different modes away from auto coz auto ain't the way to learn. Any queries please don't hesitate to ask;)

Last edited:
Hi Susie,
Well I had my go at this and these are my results, I took 96 shots and I hope these 3 are the best for sharpness/colour.
Nice little thread going here.
What do you think?

View attachment 29293
This 2nd shot is the better of the 3 as the bubble in the middle makes it look like a spirit level and the way the 4 colours are inside it.
View attachment 29294 View attachment 29295

Hi Graham ... Good to see your shots, thank you for joining in :) number one is really unusual they look like gold rings. I think I like the middle one best though...I like the subtle colours.
I was going to do some more today and follow the advice from Brash, but the sun came out so I went out with my camera instead. Hopefully I will have time for another try tomorrow.

Do post some more if you do some.

Last edited:
Thanks Clive that helps a lot, I did have another try today but I just couldn't get anything right :( I'll give it a another go later in the week.
It looks to me like you are very nearly there,I did find focusing difficult and ended up using live view and magnifying,then back to normal and mirror lock up.

2 inches of water in a Pyrex dish and stood on a 4 inch glass tumbler,so the oil would of been around 6 inches from the pattern,Lens end was around 14/16 inches from water surface.
Clive.

Nice work here, looking forward to see how it all develops. I gave something similar a go a year or so ago. Slightly different set up though, this was some water with a drop of glycerin (helps to increase surface tension and form drops better) on a plastic sheet (actually an empty cd case) above some patterned card:

050/365/2013 - Droplets by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I got some good advice to take two shots; one focusing on the pattern within the droplets and a second on the edges of the drops then merge them together in post This would help to provide more definition overall, but I never revisited it. Maybe I will now after seeing these efforts :)

Like that affect a lot Tim (y) like how the pattern is kept in the bubble.
Clive.

Back