OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I've been shooting digital infrared for a few years now and I see it gaining in popularity everywhere I talk about it. We have a good series at AVF, and several groups for infrared in Flickr, but now is your chance to show off in TP.

I have a Nikon D70IR at 720nm, and I mainly modify Olympus and Sony compact cameras, and have also done some Samsung, Nikon, Fuji and Canon. Im happy to offer advice on modding and editing techniques.

To kick off here is a sample set from various cameras I've used over the last few weeks :

1- The Blue Bridge on the River Nene, Northampton (WB500)
9252078059_0f8b556ffe_c.jpg

2- St Giles Church, Northampton (WB500)
9247715006_a5f9619572_c.jpg

3- Northampton Statue (WB500 mono)
9244935715_8509849cfe_c.jpg

4- Jackfield Footbridge (D70)
9212843055_7b0ab71006_c.jpg

5- Ironbridge (D70)
9215594378_92d3f999bc_c.jpg

6- St Giles Church, Northampton (Olympus C3040z 850nm)
9116161632_425b1e5d9c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Dervish, I use Khromagery in Photoshop. Its a free plugin which does the swap for you.

If you increase the sats too much you introduce too much colour noise, esp at high ISOs, so I tend to leave them a tad subtle.

Big tip for colour - ALWAYS get the sun behind you :)

Hi David, still learning the IR stuff, have got a 450D converted to 665nm, i've only done a few false colour shots, as mono is my main passion, (both IR and non IR) so the majority of them go the mono way.

It's interesting what works and what doesnt, some shots come out really muddy but others just jump out from the screen. Lots more learning to do which is what makes it fun.

infrared photography always fascinates me, must try it soon, great images above :)

I know that faux colour IRs generally split opinions, but I'm really drawn to that first one of yours David.
The colour's very subtle, but that bit of red really helps to draw your eye along the line of the bridge and around the photo.

And I recognise that view in yours Phil :)

David, first off, fantastic images.

I'm really after buying an older D70 or D80 and converting. What I like is the brilliant whites and the deep blues you get, your first image being a prime example.

If you don't mind me asking, what have you done differently there versus the rest, where the skies are black, rather than blue?

Tom, its due to the infrared absorbtion of the sky, if its cold its dark, so the bluer the sky the blacker it becomes. This only happens if you go for a higher nm figure such as 720 or 850, and if you just want those rich mono tones 850 is the only way to go.

Here are some more of my back catalogue which show these rich dark tones :

1- Ironbridge Church (Nikon D70 720nm)
9215605110_102b1ef149_b.jpg

2- Turvey Graveyard (D70 720nm)
8968525570_ee0b3e27b3_b.jpg

3- St Marys Abbey York (D70 720nm)
8958448156_2d7bd4a860_b.jpg

and finally for today, my MOST viewed IR image - Holy Trinity Church interior, D70 IR -
8957248505_708f23ab76_b.jpg

The last shot was 1.6 seconds hand held, and is unusual for me as it doesnt immediately shout IR, but Flickr folk like it so ...

David

Have you converted the cameras yourself or had them done by someone elese?

Cool stuff! I converted a D70 a while back, went the IR only route blocking all visible light but I was having trouble with focus calibration so I set it aside and sort of forgot about it, this thread certainly sparked some curiosity back in me!

I don't know why, but cemeteries seem to lend themselves really well to IR.
The UK's oldest public cemetery just up the road from us and it's on my list of must visit places with my new toy - hoping to get something as interesting as these on my visit.
We've had pretty hazy cloud cover for the last week, so hoping that by next weekend we get some lovely blue sky with fluffy clouds to make the most of the IR effect.

Impressive shots with the external filter too.
I've always found motion blur with grasses etc too much of an issue with this in the past - and unfortunately I don't get to pick and choose the days that I have time to get out with the camera.

Thanks David I'll definitely give that a try! First I'm gonna change the filter I'm using to block visible light, at the moment its just pieces of 35mm neg :LOL:
As soon as I get the change I'm gonna pop into homebase or some other shop and grab a little glass cutter, I've got a 760nm IR filter sitting here ready to be cut!
Seeing as the IR filter is somewhat closer to the hot mirror in terms of thickness it should improve my focusing problems a bit.

Hi Dave, nice to see you on here, I have a few pics in your AV IR thread, not posted anything lately over there but seeing as TP is my "home forum" you should expect to see a few contributions from me in this thread soon but I'll need to pop them on my flickr first.

Mal.

Last edited:
Eyup Mal, nice to see you here too ;)

To keep the thread bubbling over, heres a few more from Swindon, first from the Radnor Road cemetary :

1- Group with false colour
9283465655_4af329c341_b.jpg

2- Angels group false colour -
9286254636_21f4f62de1_b.jpg

and finally, one from Coate Park, a country park with a pretty big lake and old diving platform -

9283496817_a70072c3c9_b.jpg

Some good images in here:)
I've just sold my IR D40X and I think I'm missing it already:(
Will probably convert another soon though - my LX3 isn't getting much use these days - hmm:)

I also still have a sensor unit already converted for a Canon 450D lying around somewhere!

Last edited:
Hi David, some great stuff there (and not just by you). What nm figure is it on the filter in the camera that you have used for images 1-3 right up the top of the thread? Tempted to give this IR thing a go.

What software are you guys using to do the PP? I've only got Elements 10 at the moment and its not very intuitive in trying to swap the red and blue channels over. I might give the Lightroom 5 trial a go, but anyone got anything else to recommend?

Cracking Pictures now the suns out you should get yourself over to Overstone Hall. Plenty of green and odd looking structures their which should do some interesting things.

Yes Robin, it's only round the corner, I go to the boot sales they have in the grounds on some Sundays, but not done any IR shooting there :) Down in Bennetts Meadow on the river is good, that's where that blue bridge is, and of course, all our loverly churches :)

Back