OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

One day I will work out what wavelength I want to leave this camera at:) Its been 585nm, 650nm, 680nm and now I've changed it to 850nm! I think for now it will stay at 850 as I like the mono look right now. I know you can convert the lower ones to mono but think this is the way to go with deeper IR not just near IR:) Just a quick test shot from today (ignore the lens flare) Samsung WB600 at 850nm IR

Last edited:
Just sitting here with my Panasonic GF5 in hand and wonder if anyone can tell me the size of glass I need to cut to replace the IR blocking filter in place? I have found the sensor size but am not sure if it will be the same. I don't want to take it all apart and then fiddle about while I have it in lots of pieces unless I really have no other option :) I now have google eyes for looking.

Thanks some really god photos on this thread I will try to visit it often.

Last edited:
Thanks for that matey I will cut one down ready and have a go. I have been shooting IR for some time now and actually found this thread while googling the filter size for my GF5 I will post some photos but I warn you I do this on a shoestring budget so may horrify you with my vice and hacksaw techniques :)

I would also point out that the very early digital cameras can be picked up for a song on a certain auction site and as there were no IR blocking filters fitted they are a great first step into Infrared without the expense.

I can list a few later tonight but early Olympus such as the iconic 2020z and the 2000z along with a few Nikons can be easily used ;)

hehehe yep, I started modding on Oly 3030 and similar series. But I always replaced the filter. I use perspex btw it a lot easier to work ! Done some Nikon D70s recently and not as bad as you might think.

I'll join this thread too, love IR and love the images on here.

Taken with a Full Spectrum EPM1 - 14-42 IIR with 680nm filter
Used the Photoshop action mentioned earlier, didnt know about that and always wondered how people kept the colour in the sky

P6231444 by FrogDriveR1, on Flickr

Well here we go these are a few I have taken so far and I have many more to still take. I absolutely love IR photography and where it is takes me. I am as said on a shoestring budget and every IR camera I have at the moment is under £15.00 I use eBay a lot but have researched and researched to find out what I can use that is within my budget. I have Two Olympus 2020z's considered THE iconic IR camera's and Olympus 2000z's the first ever zoom digital camera made that I have used regularly amongst others. I think I am more than future proofed in this respect.

It's all about pixels though isn't it and I recently sold a load of kit to get an Olympus GF5 to convert the missus is less than pleased I am converting this one as it is a beautiful camera and I am a little like a bull in a china shop and eyes are failing a little now so I am holding fire at the moment as I don't have funds to replace if I brick this camera.

Anyway enough gabbing here are a few I have taken good or bad but ones I am not getting rid of in a hurry. Thanks for the tip on the Ps action you use I used it to great effect tonight to rescue or make pop one of my earlier photos.

All images in this post taken on a D70s

2t5b.jpg

6c09.jpg

u1sn.jpg

f4xg.jpg

k876.jpg

4xyn.jpg

Last edited:
All images in this post taken with an Olympus 2000z which is a 2.1 MP camera

e0n3.jpg

xvgt.jpg

oolp.jpg

vot7.jpg

3o1z.jpg

oxvt.jpg

Trees are not green! They look far better in white :)

Last edited:
Some great shots John (y) hard to pick one out but I do really like the portrait avery striking image(y)

Thanks Bob I have to agree. I have a few IR portraits and as long as the eyes don't go all sci-fi they can look quite impressive :)

Out today with the S5 again...

Cornwall Quarry Infra Red by R. Alan Jones ~ www.quarryscapes.co.uk, on Flickr

Dorothea Infra Red by R. Alan Jones ~ www.quarryscapes.co.uk, on Flickr

Both with Tokina 11-16mm, but the new star of the show is my 35mm F2 Nikkor, not only is it my favourite visible spectrum lens it's now my favourite IR lens too!

Nice shots Alan. The 35mm certainly looks good.

I've just started trying the tokina 11-16 again for some of my IR shots but find it can suffer from quite a noticeable hot spot. When I used the lens with an unconverted camera and an R72 filter it was completely unusable. Do you get anything similar?

Apologies if this is seen as slightly off-topic, but I've just noticed that Aperture Photographic are listing a mint- converted D70s at £150 if that's of interest to anyone watching? You'd need to phone and find out what filter is fitted, but seems a good price for condition and it should have a 6 month guarantee.

http://www.apertureuk.com/nikon_auto_focus.html

Thanks for waking us up Bob :) Nice set, jetty is the best I reckon. Here's a couple from my newest D70 conversion, trying to sell it at the mo, not much luck :(

1- Framed Tree

11150334125_9d3679cd43_b.jpg

2- Narrowboats

11150492993_eb2ff5ec62_b.jpg

First attempt at Infra Red Images.

Taken with a Fuji S5 Pro converted to 665nm.

Posted in the Landscape section, but this thread is more appropriate!

Thanks David, IR is something I have wanted to try for a long time, so we will see what happens. I am probably too late for this year as most images seem to benefit from some lush greenery, but I will persevere. I need to find a good tutorial on processing to get the lovely blue coloured images, I have already found that it is not as simple as straight channel swapping. Mono's I am comfortable with, just need more practice with the IR images.

I am very impressed with Dervish99's processing, mono and colour, and also your colour images further up this page.

I am using the wb preset on the camera as set by the people who converted it (Fuji S5 Pro at 665nm). Maybe I should try setting a manual WB off the grass. I am also quite surprised how much exposure compensation (plus and minus) I have to apply, no two shots are the same!

Yep, WB on well sunlit green grass or tree leaves is always the best IMO. You can then channel swap to get the blue skies back, while leaving foliage white.

All the togs who have contributed to this thread have their own secrets and styles and it's just great to see so many joining in :)

Thanks for waking us up Bob :) Nice set, jetty is the best I reckon. :(

:) wondered where every body had gone Dave, must admit though photography has certainly taken a back seat for quite a while, love the canal boats

All the togs who have contributed to this thread have their own secrets and styles and it's just great to see so many joining in :)

I have not got any :crying:

Loving this David very dramatic

Thanks Bob, I need some sunshine now, and some recipes for PP (just like you!), and I don't mind admitting that if I turned out work like Dervish99 I would be very happy.

Watch this space.

I like that, Bob, all leads in nicely to the sunlit mound and trees. Lovely colours too.

Thank you Lee, the last on was taken on a Nikon D70 with a 720nm filter. The image is Scotney castle.

This was on a d40, 50mm lens, hoya r72.
ms paint used to sort out some dust.

Back