Critique OK, What's wrong with this guys

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
Fire away as usual

Maybe too central
a little bit too soft, (it was hand held)

but all comments appreciated

CR_1.jpg

Two things i noted from the exif, subject was 7+ m away and shutter speed was only 320 on a 300mm lens, to my eye it does look a little soft, i think a faster shutter speed would have helped and perhaps not such a large crop. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys

here's another and maybe you can help me by answering a question

Q: when you crop do you stick to the standard sizes, e.g. 5 x 7 etc., or do you "free" crop to any size?

Probably too much space to the left?

CR_2.jpg

Two things i noted from the exif, subject was 7+ m away and shutter speed was only 320 on a 300mm lens, to my eye it does look a little soft, i think a faster shutter speed would have helped and perhaps not such a large crop. Just my opinion.

Thanks
It was hand held at f4 with the 300mm f4 Nikon on a D300 at 1/320 and ISO 200 - I used single point focus and spot metering
Minimal adjustments in LR, just brought the "whites" and highlights back a little
Is that OK?

the second image is similar but at 1/250th sec

Last edited:
Depends on final use as to crop ratio. If purely for web use, whatever ratio fits best but for prints, I tend to stick to 3:2 or A series sizes (1:1.41).

Thanks

forgot to say, It's a female Black Redstart, (Phoenicurus ochruros)

Last edited:
Thanks
It was hand held at f4 with the 300mm f4 Nikon on a D300 at 1/320 and ISO 200 - I used single point focus and spot metering
Minimal adjustments in LR, just brought the "whites" and highlights back a little
Is that OK?

the second image is similar but at 1/250th sec

As it happens i use exactly the same gear as yourself. The 300m F4 is imo a brilliant lens and the D300 is no slouch. I have found using f8 produces a sharper image, handheld i would have using something more like 1/400 and raised the iso accordingly if it helps.

as the others have stated its a bit soft ,it looks like the focus has grabbed on to the stuff in the beak rather than the eye ,,but the one glaring pet hate of mine is straight lines ,if your going to show it on a fence /log /wall or whatever straighten it up in p/p as your eye is distracted to where it runs out of the photo ,the obvious culprit being the sea or river pouring out of the edge even waves and ripples should be at a believable angle .

Back