Old Water Tank

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the water tank used to provide water for the Leas Lifts at Folkestone. A council worker let me loose in there with my D7000 and the 10-20 mm lens the other day as part of trying to boost my flagging photography mojo.
Although I've taken a small number of photos, I thought this stood out the most as my favourite. I like the way HDR creates that "Half Life 2" effect.

LiftsWaterpump3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I like that (y)

HDR when used carefully is great for building interiors.

Agreed, I like it too. Can't decide if I like the paint pot in there or not. Did you keep it intentionally?

Agreed, I like it too. Can't decide if I like the paint pot in there or not. Did you keep it intentionally?

Actually, that's a good point, it wasn't until after I processed the shot then I noticed the paint pot - but since it's there, I thought I'd leave it anyhow (my cloning skills aren't that good).

I was thinking that perhaps I could have had the shot just a little bit more to the left (showing just the two embossed feature on the water tank inside of the current two and a bit and a bit more of the wall to the left). Something to think about should I want to give it another go.

But glad you all like it.

I grew up in Folkestone & had never seen this stuff so I have to say I like. HDR not overdone at all, just right.

Thanks for all the glowing comments!

Indeed, Darren, Folkestone is full of hidden photography gems, I got to know the lift operator via Facebook and made arrangements to get inside that chamber. It's actually quite small and cramped and is "L" shaped.

Here's the other end, but am in two minds about this photo as it looks all busy and cluttered . . .

imagejpg1.jpg

I don't think it's busy and cluttered in a bad way at all, i think it works well for where and what it represents... good stuff do you have more? :D

That's very cool - kinda reminds me of playing Half Life 2 for some reason :)

I don't think it's busy and cluttered in a bad way at all, i think it works well for where and what it represents... good stuff do you have more? :D

Awww, thanks! There was a lot to take in for what is quite a confined space.

And your wish is my command as I have one more . . .

Lifts+Water+pump+4.jpg

Indeed, Dave, these photos does have that Half Life 2 look and feel about them, which I think is why I like using Photomatix to create HDR. It did take four different type of processing using diffent sets of bracketed exposures before I settled into something that I felt happy with.

Last edited:
Impressive shots Ian, I really must have a longer look around Folkestone. I always seem to gravitate to the pier/ fishing boat area.

Impressive shots Ian, I really must have a longer look around Folkestone. I always seem to gravitate to the pier/ fishing boat area.

And nothing wrong with that as it is a well liked photography spot, especially at dawnbreak and sunset time. I've taken a fair few photos of that area over the years, especially since I live practically next door to all that. Although the former harbour docking area is slowly being laid bare by demolition as I type.

Last edited:
If you're ever in the mood for going out in the East Kent area, give me a shout, I'm only in Deal, so 20 mins or so for me in the car.

nice set of images. your lucky to get access. i like to see these types of HDR - really suits the subject.

Back