olympus E450 + 14 - 42mm

Name
Caroline
Edit My Images
Yes
and 40 + 150mm lenses.

Would that be a good starter pack for a college student.

What lenses fit on olympus cameras?

Possibly . Do you mean 40-150? and 14-50 or something?

Olympus and Leica digital lenses fit olympus cameras.

Adapters allow the use of pretty much all manual focus lens.

Are you going to be studying photography? If so I would wait until you get told what you need. You may find that they have stuff available to borrow - in which case it makes sense to buy the same brand.

yea I am going to study NC photography and digital imaging :D

Cant wait.

Just on the look out atm as I know the college used to loan out cameras and equipment.

and yeah I meant the 2 lens sizes for Olympus.

I have an Olympus 420, and it's a good camera for what it is but if it were my money I'd try to get hold of something with image stabilisation.

Having said that I second holding off till you know what kit the college use and going for the same brand.

Thanks Qwerty,
Im just outside Glasgow as well,

Do you have somewhere that you would recommend I go, the only place I can think of is Jessops on Sauchihall street.

I've used Jessops a number of times over the years and also Merchant City Cameras (whom I prefer) a couple of times.

Merchant City Cameras have a shop in the City (on Parnie Street not far from High Street) and also a web site www.merchantcitycameras.com

thanks, is that the one on the way to the barras?

I wouldn't say IS is a reason not to go for the E-450, I don't have it on my D40, and before that I had an E-420 without IS. I'd say the bigger issue os the limited range of accessories for the E system, the cost of 4/3 lenses, the range of 4/3 lenses, and the size of the 4/3 sensor itself. The E-420 is a cracking camera...but I'm glad I moved to Nikon.

Ideit: The 40-150 is a nice lens, but you're missing a massive range on the bottom end. You'll want to be able to go wider than that, usualy kit lenses will go as wide at 17 or 18mm

Yes, the shop is quite near the Barras.

I wouldn't say IS is a reason not to go for the E-450, I don't have it on my D40, and before that I had an E-420 without IS. I'd say the bigger issue os the limited range of accessories for the E system, the cost of 4/3 lenses, the range of 4/3 lenses, and the size of the 4/3 sensor itself. The E-420 is a cracking camera...but I'm glad I moved to Nikon.

The reason I mention IS is purely because I've just returned from a trip to Portugal and really wished I had IS as I was trying to get a photo of a para-glider but couldn't keep the camera steady enough.

Having said that it all depends on the type of photos the OP wants to take. Fully agree though that the accessory range for Olympus cameras is quite limited / expensive and opting for Canon or Nikon could be beneficial in the long run.

As mentioned before I'd recommend holding off to see what equipment the College use as it could be useful to be able to borrow kit (lenses etc.) and use it with your own camera body.

Might be worth dropping an email to the college asking them what you should get. What you care about is that the person teaching the course knows how to access the relevant functions on your camera. I found that I had a lot more funcationality for the money when I bought my Oly. Not 'features' per se, but more control. It's useful to understand what each of the functions and parameters does, especially if you're learning. That was a few years ago though and most of the entry level models are pretty sophisitcated now.

You may also find that students on the course get discounts of specific brands or at certain shops.

Back