Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

There's not much love on here for the P20mm, I'll have dig mine out and show what it can do

I was going to buy one today but the low light focussing issue comments ruled it out. I can't take a gamble on something will only be good in the day :(

I honestly think for landscapes and size-wise the 20mm is great, but I wanted a small evening events lens and it was just too frustrating!
Haven't looked back since buying the 17mm/1.8, it's a touch bigger, but fits well on my e-m5. I like the manual focus ring on it (though I suck at using it and it's not detailed enough in distance scale), build quality's fine.

Will try and dig out some photos later - at work at the moment. For some reason I get on better with the field of view - thought they'd be close enough I wouldn't care but I always felt the 20mm was too tight...purely personal preference though!

If you want a stop-gap btw damian, the panny 14mm is cheap and lightning fast to focus - but I'd also recommend getting the Oly fl300r or another small flash for inside people shots. I bounce off the ceiling and use iso800, works very well.

Last edited:
I have the P14 and the O17 and both are great - I think I prefer the FOV of the 14mm but it's 'only' f/2.5 so maybe not for night time but it is very small and nicely built and sharp wide open. For under £100 second hand you really can't go wrong.

Both focus great on my EM10.

Ordered a nissin i40 today as I need something better than the pop up. I think a new lens will have to be put on hold for a month as we're mid house move so there's money flying out of everywhere at the moment

A little frost this morning but, although cold, it wasn't as dramatic as I'd hoped. Reverted to manual focus and the old rock back and forth technique

socket set
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Almost pushed the buy button on the OM-5 then looked at the OM-1?

Is the OM-1 really worth approx £400 extra, as I have no lens yet perhaps I should go for the 0M-5 and buy a quality landscape lens.

Any views, they both feel good to handle for me.

Thank you,

Trevor

Yes.
The OM-1 is a full frame manual exposure film camera.

The EM-1 added:
  • Much improved ergonomics. 2x2 dials and quick access to functions. MySets on the Dial. Better buttons.
  • Wifi. Remote Control, remote viewfinder, send JPGs.
  • Focus Peaking
  • Bigger Viewfinder
  • Live Composite Mode
  • Tougher Weather sealing
  • 1/8000 sec shutter
  • Timelapse mode
  • AF supports PDAF lenses
Or better still, wait a week and get the new E-M5 mkII.

Last edited:
Yes. The EM-1 added:
  • Much improved ergonomics. 2x2 dials and quick access to functions. MySets on the Dial. Better buttons.
  • Wifi.
  • Focus Peaking
  • Bigger Viewfinder
  • Live Composite Mode
  • Tougher Weather sealing
  • 1/8000 sec shutter
  • Timelapse
  • AF supports PDAF lenses
Or better still, wait a week and get the new E-M5 mkII.
(The OM-1 is a full frame manual exposer film camera)

Now that's great info, wonder what the price point will be on E-M5 MKII, It will still be an E-M5 but will it match the EM-1?.

Thank you,

As most people dont need all the bells and whistles of new models why not pick up an Em5 and a good lens as j am sure there will be some great offers now the Em5 II is coming out. Also a used traded body from somewhere like wex with a 12 month warranty could be an option?

As most people dont need all the bells and whistles of new models why not pick up an Em5 and a good lens as j am sure there will be some great offers now the Em5 II is coming out. Also a used traded body from somewhere like wex with a 12 month warranty could be an option?

That's another option, thank you!

Hi Everyone, Been a member of the of TP for ages, just moved over to Em-5

Minnnt- I saw a post way back where you mentioned a GGS, did you fit it & is it any good?

I saw the bird shots with the 75-300..... superb quality

Damianmkv...which camera were you using for the frost shot? I had heard many good things about the 60mm & that shot endorses it

Hope you don't mind my questions :)

Almost pushed the buy button on the OM-5 then looked at the OM-1?

Is the OM-1 really worth approx £400 extra, as I have no lens yet perhaps I should go for the 0M-5 and buy a quality landscape lens.

Any views, they both feel good to handle for me.

Thank you,

Trevor

Trevor
I use the E-M1 with a 12-40 f2.8 for landscapes now. It has weather sealing and the controls are well layed out. I havent had the 12-40 long I was using my 4/3 12-60 with an adapter for about 6 months.
I am not sure what improvement the E-M5 mkii will be though. I have an E-M5 which I like but for landscapes I will using the E-M1.

Trevor
I use the E-M1 with a 12-40 f2.8 for landscapes now. It has weather sealing and the controls are well layed out. I havent had the 12-40 long I was using my 4/3 12-60 with an adapter for about 6 months.
I am not sure what improvement the E-M5 mkii will be though. I have an E-M5 which I like but for landscapes I will using the E-M1.

Thank you Alf,
Learning more each day, appreciated.

I know that some people like to leave on the protective film that comes with a new product packaging on things like a mobile phone or calculator screen. Back when you couldn't buy 3rd party stick on films. And when they show you their new toy, you say "Ooh look. You left the film on the screen. Shall I peel it..." they yell "No leave it! I like it on there."

Last edited:
A screen protector is just a bit more substantial than the protective film that people some times leave on their screens.
It essentially protects your investment :)

Last edited:
Yes. But why do people feel they need one?
I've never had screen damage yet. And I'm wondering if I need this.
But nobody has said they've damaged their screen yet. So either people with "awesome" screen protectors are those over protective types. Or the opposite, who expect real damage as their camera gets bashed about.

Last edited:
Yes. But why do people feel they need one?
I've never had screen damage yet. And I'm wondering if I need this.
But nobody has said they've damaged their screen yet. So either people with "awesome" screen protectors are those over protective types. Or the opposite, who expect real damage as their camera gets bashed about.

I do not use them myself but I have damaged the screen on my XZ-1 as I put in a bag with my Voigtlander Vito B and the apperture ring which is a good old fashioned piece of machined metal scratched it.

Thanks. So you don't generally use "protection". Yet probably don't chuck your camera in a bag with sharp things in it any more.

Last edited:
Thanks. So you don't generally use "protection".

No I am happily married and Vasectomy years ago.

Oh I see you mean a screen protector no I dont. I suppose if you use the touch screen functions a lot then you may want to.

Touchscreen. Olympus SCP. good point.

Just a minute! People put those protectors on their smart phone screens. So they should work somehow with touchscreens.

Last edited:
Touchscreen. Olympus SCP. good point.

Just a minute! People put those protectors on their smart phone screens. So they should work somehow with touchscreens.

I have one on my phone and it works very well.

My question is, why do you fit a screen protector?
When you get home and see your lcd screen has a scratch on it, you will say to yourself, " I wish I had fitted a good screen protector"
I don't like saying those words, so I fit a screen protector on all my cameras as soon as I get one.
Allan

Back