Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Undoubtedly some good improvements but I can't see a reason, yet, for a current EM5 or EM10 user to upgrade. Would be interested to see the full specs though.

I wonder what the EM1ii will bring?!

Presumably the E-M1 mk2 must include the 40mp "wiggle sensor". As well as some perfomance upgrades like the E-M5 is getting. Including incremental PDAF improvments.
But the E-M5 mk2 has closed the gap to the E-M1, compared to the E-M5 mk1, as the E-M1 mk1 only has PDAF, better weather sealing, and grip to it's advantage. The new E-M1 will need some new headline feature to keep it's place as the flagship.

Last edited:
I've been reading up about long exposures (astro) with the EM1 and it seems as though it has a problem with noise (or something) yet the EM5 didn't. I wonder if that's carried over into the EM5ii?

Undoubtedly some good improvements but I can't see a reason, yet, for a current EM5 or EM10 user to upgrade. Would be interested to see the full specs though.

I wonder what the EM1ii will bring?!

The EM-1 not long out,we will be getting monthly replacement soon :)

Can most definitely see a big difference there Alf. Not sure whether its the camera /lens config or the addition of the tripod on the last one.
I really need to invest in a light tripod.

I will trry and take some real comparison shots I think with the same lens filters and tripod.

Alf, What filters/holders do you use?

I am using Cokin P series and Kood filters but I am thinking of changing to Lee Seven5 filters.

I have re
I've been reading up about long exposures (astro) with the EM1 and it seems as though it has a problem with noise (or something) yet the EM5 didn't. I wonder if that's carried over into the EM5ii?

I have read this and will testing both the E-M1 and E-M5 when I can

I'm not sure if it's the same problem or not, but my EM10 stopped recognising any lens which was put on it - I sent it in for repair and it turned out to be a faulty lens mount (on the camera, not the lenses). The lens mount was replaced and the camera is now fine.

Yes. Sometimes if a lens is not connecting fully I get a black screen. I just turn the lens tighter in the bayonet and it springs into life. It happened today out in the freezing cold after changing lenses. It might have been due to the cold, or me changing lenses with thick gloves on nothing quite completing the turn.

Yes. Sometimes if a lens is not connecting fully I get a black screen. I just turn the lens tighter in the bayonet and it springs into life. It happened today out in the freezing cold after changing lenses. It might have been due to the cold, or me changing lenses with thick gloves on nothing quite completing the turn.

That's how my problem started (I would just remount the lens thinking I hadn't secured it properly the first time) then one day it got worse and failed completely. If it becomes persistent I would send it in for repair (hopefully it's still under warranty).

Alf, as far as I'm aware it's just the EM1. I wonder if it's something to do with electrical interference on the long exposures, I also wonder if it's something which can be addressed with firmware.

It was a comparison I was after to see the difference my self.

Last edited:
Olympus cameras have mechanical spring on the mount, it is one pin. If its not "free" '(have to be NOT pressed), camera will not start the sensor, which results in blank black screen. That happens when the lens is not tight (or too tight/loosen bayonet). On the lens there is a hole, where the mechanical spring on the camera mount stays "free". If the lens is not correctly mounted, the spring is not in that "hole" and the camera will not start sensor.

View attachment 29876

Does anyone use Lee Seven5 filters on m4/3 as I am thinking of investing in them.

Thanks for the replies Lindsay & Marivesel. It seems to be ok today but as you said, Lindsay, its likely to keep reoccuring. I only bought the camera at xmas so I have warranty

Does anyone use Lee Seven5 filters on m4/3 as I am thinking of investing in them.

I've got a selection that I've been very happy with. As you would imagine it's as easy to use and possesses the same high quality as any of Lees products.

I knew exactly which grads etc that I wanted but because they offer a number of different combo kits it took me a while to work out the most cost effective way of getting what I needed. In the end I managed to pick up 1 or 2 used bits that saved me a hell of a lot of money.

My little kit consists of 0.6 & 0.9 grads in soft & hard and a big stopper. I quite often use the grads as a normal nd on my 12-40 f/2.8 (by sliding them down the holder a bit) so the it's a pretty versatile set up. I have been looking at adding a little stopper which I think could work quite nicely.

The only very, very minor thing is that Lee don't do a pouch that holds more than three filters. I'd like a 75mm version of the handy 100mm field pouch. Anyone got any ideas?

Now, this could be interesting (link)

v3 Firmware for E-M1

The firmware could be announced after tomorrow February 5 and released on February 24 . And it should bring those improvements:

1. 9fps at C-AF mode
2. Better tracking capability at C-AF mode

v3 Firmware for E-M1

The firmware could be announced after tomorrow February 5 and released on February 24 . And it should bring those improvements:

1. 9fps at C-AF mode

Yes, definitely interesting, can't wait to try it out. Some thoughts:
- I guess the EM5-II has improved C-AF so they felt the need to upgrade the EM1. This is quite smart as Oly have a history of releasing new tech into their next camera, so you often get a situation where a model higher up the line suddenly doesn't look very competitive. It should keep EM1 owners happy, well done Olympus.
- Given that one of the biggest remaining advantages of DSLRs over m43 is AF tracking, I always assumed that Oly would be trying hard to improve this because it would directly translate into more sales/market share. It's been a few years since the EM5 so I'm keen to see how far they've come. If it's a significant step forward then we'll see the m43 band wagon really gain some momentum this year. Fingers crossed.

v3 Firmware for E-M1

1. 9fps at C-AF mode
looking forward to see the differences will make

v3 Firmware for E-M1

1. 9fps at C-AF mode

Ooooh, baby! I really really really hope the C-AF becomes usable.

So then, the EM5 mkii

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m5-ii/olympus-e-m5-iiA.HTM

The sensor shifting seems to work rather well, not that I'd ever be likely to use it.

Looking forward to some thoughts vs. EM1 (especially long exposure sensor noise).

edit: perhaps one of the most important changes is that it has a full electronic shutter (and silent mode) as I still get shutter shock on my EM10 even with anti-shock set to 0.

Last edited:
So has anyone pre ordered?
5 1/2 year warranty is pretty good but i cant see how that messenger bag is worth £230.00

How do you find mk2 pictures? I looked under Camera Finder and just found the mk1.

Last edited:
Just type E-M5 II in the search - link - you get a few pics of it and some with it.

The messenger bag is listed at £99.90 over on the olympus UK store, so the £230 must be the total value including the 5 1/2 year warranty.

http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerc...e=google&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=penglb

As an aside, anyone know anywhere that has the new 1.4x converter in stock for the 40-150 F2.8 pro lens. Can't seem to find it in stock anywhere ?

Srsmicro shipped my converter friday, they run a waiting list if out of stock, took about 10 days....

Back