Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Has the EM5 been updated or is it just a new leather wrap?

Edit: Double post

Last edited:
Thanks Lee, I didn't know about that, but the nearest official dealer that I can book a Test and Wow is 60 miles away.
Anyway, thanks for all the info, I just got back from looking at all three ( they were all used, not new) Like David says, there really isn't much difference in size between the 5 and 10 but the 5 felt nicer to me, plus it now comes as a kit with the 12-40 f2.8 ( which I wanted). There are a few subtle changes with the look of the new EM5 body as well, apparently.
The EM1 was lovely, but, I couldn't justify the £360+ extra and with the bigger grip, it did feel too big, it just wasn't what I wanted.
Just been checking the shots I took at the shop at home and I think I can expect images as good as my Fuji kit, but the AF is just so much faster, it really is noticeable.
All in all, a good day.
I ordered an E-M5 with 12-40 lens, should be in next week
Allan

Has the EM5 been updated or is it just a new leather wrap?

They didn't have the "Elite" version of the M5 at the shop, so i just paired it up with the 12-40 to see how it felt. It felt right. I tried the same lens on the M10, I did notice it felt a little front heavy but that could have been because I was expecting it to be. The M1 felt really nice with a similar size VF to my X-T1, but I couldn't live with the extra body size and cost. I didn't notice what firmware they had in either although I was told they were all on the latest.
I ordered mine from HDEW, seemed like a pretty good price with 3-5 day delivery

They didn't have the "Elite" version of the M5 at the shop, so i just paired it up with the 12-40 to see how it felt. It felt right. I tried the same lens on the M10, I did notice it felt a little front heavy but that could have been because I was expecting it to be. The M1 felt really nice with a similar size VF to my X-T1, but I couldn't live with the extra body size and cost. I didn't notice what firmware they had in either although I was told they were all on the latest.
I ordered mine from HDEW, seemed like a pretty good price with 3-5 day delivery

Body size wize I always got the impression the E-M1 was very similar in size to the X-T1
To be fair though I've not handled an X-T1, looking at my E-M1 and this reference from dpreview it looks as it's the grip that's slightly larger.
sbs-e-m1.jpg

With any luck the E-M5 that you have ordered with be the new Pro model especially as its described as a kit (with the 12-40).

They look the same size there, but I didn't take my X-T1 to compare, it just seemed bigger. I think the main body is thicker, as well as the grip.
I ordered the Pro ( or Elite) kit E-M5, i should come with V2 firmware and the latest body mods, I am sure its the same under the hood as the original version though.

Last edited:
Fedex arrived this morning with my new E_M5 and 14-40 Pro kit. I was like a kid at Christmas, camera is really nice, lens is even nicer. It has the textured "leather" grip, textured black paint and V2 firmware.. Taken a few quick shots indoors and really impressed with the IQ.
An hour later, Postman arrived with another parcel......and here, I must make an admission. When I said earlier "The M1 felt really nice with a similar size VF to my X-T1, but I couldn't live with the extra body size and cost" I was trying to convince myself I didn't like it because of the price.
Well, I didn't figure on seeing a new black and silver E-M1 for sale at a really good price just after I just sold some camera kit. I had enough money to buy it, so I did.
I might have to read the instruction manual for this one!
Now, a dilemma. Do I keep both as well as my X-T1?
Allan

Fedex arrived this morning with my new E_M5 and 14-40 Pro kit. I was like a kid at Christmas, camera is really nice, lens is even nicer. It has the textured "leather" grip, textured black paint and V2 firmware.. Taken a few quick shots indoors and really impressed with the IQ.
An hour later, Postman arrived with another parcel......and here, I must make an admission. When I said earlier "The M1 felt really nice with a similar size VF to my X-T1, but I couldn't live with the extra body size and cost" I was trying to convince myself I didn't like it because of the price.
Well, I didn't figure on seeing a new black and silver E-M1 for sale at a really good price just after I just sold some camera kit. I had enough money to buy it, so I did.
I might have to read the instruction manual for this one!
Now, a dilemma. Do I keep both as well as my X-T1?
Allan

I am keeping both,the XT-1 is better for very high ISO work :)

Just compared my X-T1 to the E-M1 and the Fuji seems a bit taller but not as "fat", not as I remembered when I looked at the Olympus cameras.
So, if you rely on your memory ( like i did) when choosing cameras and comparing them to what you think you already have, heres a little website that will do the maths for you.
It also shows you how HUGE a dslr is and how small a mirrorless or M43 camera is

http://camerasize.com

Allan

I like the sound of that, especially if one or more is in a leather case :D
Not sure about affording a leather case just now. Perhaps Mrs A will do me a knitted ER case for one of them if I ask nicely....( goes online to research leather cases.........)
Allan

I find my M5 is a little too small to use comfortably ( glad I didn't go for the M10!) and have thought about getting the battery grip. Does anyone have one? Is it useful?
I love the feel of my M1, is the HDL-6 a similar size to the M1 grip?
Allan

The EM5 grip is good (especially the vertical part) but it does add quite a lot of bulk if you add both parts.
The annoying thing is that the vertical bit prevents access to the battery compartment, so changing batteries is a pain. Adding the battery grip resolves this, but then you've got a much bigger camera!

I also have a third party grip which is only the vertical part. It doesn't have the control wheel or shutter but does allow access to the battery compartment.

I'm still deciding which I prefer!

Thanks Andy, not too bothered about taking the grip off to change batteries, its the feel of it that concerned me. The battery grip does make it a lot bigger though, not sure I would use it very often though, I much prefer landscape orientation
Allan

Thanks Andy, not too bothered about taking the grip off to change batteries, its the feel of it that concerned me. The battery grip does make it a lot bigger though, not sure I would use it very often though, I much prefer landscape orientation
Allan
Then the 3rd party one might suit you better. About 1/3 the price too!
Want to borrow mine for a week or two to trial it?

Then the 3rd party one might suit you better. About 1/3 the price too!
Want to borrow mine for a week or two to trial it?
Thats kind of you, but we are going away for a month on Tuesday. I might have a look around for a used HDL6 or a 3rd party grip when I get back
Allan

I have a query for those with the oly wifi

I have it all connected, but to use the wifi again when I switch it back on, do you go to the main menu, playback menu, connection to smartphone? It then comes up with the QR code?

I can't get out of the screen without the wifi turning off

Probably really simple, just me being a t**t :)

I tried it and and got the QR code screen, scanned it with my iPad and had to install some software. At this point, you leave the camera controls alone and use your smartphone ipad or whatever. I kept pressing the back button which shut the wifi down.
This may or may not be how it works, but it's the only way I could use it, and logically, it should work just like this.
Does that help?
Allan

Thats kind of you, but we are going away for a month on Tuesday. I might have a look around for a used HDL6 or a 3rd party grip when I get back
Allan
I managed to find a used HDL6 on Amazon at a good price on Sunday, so ordered it. It came Tuesday morning, just before we left the house. It makes my EM5 feel much better to hold, haven't tried the battery part yet, the grip as it is is just great.
Allan

I tried it and and got the QR code screen, scanned it with my iPad and had to install some software. At this point, you leave the camera controls alone and use your smartphone ipad or whatever. I kept pressing the back button which shut the wifi down.
This may or may not be how it works, but it's the only way I could use it, and logically, it should work just like this.
Does that help?
Allan

I did exactly the same Allan, I would have thought that you could just toggle the wifi on or off and you are connected, just seems a bit strange

First proper outing with my EM1 and Zuiko 14-150 lens.
Feeding frenzy..

Going home after a long day putting out one lobster pot!

15610723130_400ec148f2_z_d.jpg

I didn't do real comparisons to my Fuji or testing as such, these are just thoughts that came to me as I was using the camera
Menu system is a little long winded, but the super control panel gives easy access to most features you would want to change regularly.
AF is bl***y quick which makes the camera very nice to use, and makes my X-T1 feel a bit slow and clunky.
Shutter button has a hair trigger and takes a bit of getting used to, on/off button is in a silly place ( some of the Fuji buttons are stupidly placed too)!
IQ? Excellent, but if I am being truly honest, not fully up to the X-T1 standard if you are into pixel peeping.
I haven't altered any of the fn buttons but I guess I could spend a bit of time either altering the functions or getting used to them as they are ( I think the latter)
Tried MF a couple of times and I know I am going to miss the split evf on the Fuji.
All in all, I really like using the Olympus. It seems pretty light, especially with the Zuiko 14-150 lens I had with me today, it's great for one handed use ( with an impatient Labradors lead in the other hand) IBIS seems to work really well ( but a little hit and miss with my Zuiko 75-300 lens)
I am sure after a few more days use, I could come up with a better comparison, but so far, its a big thumbs up.
Allan

I see rumours of the e-m5 successor (e-m6 ? ) coming early Feb and that production of the e-m5 has ceased.

If only @minnnt was looking for a new camera

Last edited:
Back