Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Eeuuugghh. There's some landscapes from Cornwall a few pages back with that lens

Hi folks, I hope one of you can give me a bit of advice please. I was thinking of switching to mirrorless and having a budget of between £700 and £800 I was leaning toward the fuji x series probably an xe1 or 2 with either a 35mm or 56mm lens. I can really only afford one body and one lens.

Right out the blue in started reading about the Olympus 75mm lens and it's really intrigued me. I was thinking of buying this lens and either an em5 or em10 to compliment it. Has anyone used this combo and what is the image quality like compared with the fuji?

I knowhow this is a long lens to have as the only one in my kit but I almost exclusively shoot my toddler son who is small enough to not take up too much of the frame. It will also come in handy for candid shots as when I pull my canon gear out he notices and changes his behavior and it makes it difficult to catch him acting naturally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

How are you finding the 10, Alan?

David - not many types of shots taken in anger yet, but I do like the balance of it in the hand and the EVF is bright and info easy to read. All dials, buttons etc have a good feel.
The only shots that i have taken, other than 'tests', are at a dance competition - these are on my Flickr in the Dance album. Very impressed with the way that it focussed and handled the mixed (colour, dark/light etc) lighting.

I have no idea what to do...I got a comment today that there is lag between what you see via the EVF and what you finally take - I'd have assume that EVFs work like OVFs is what you see is what you get ?

Mmm, not sure about that. I have found no difference between what I have shot and what is taken. However there IS a darkening of the EVF for a very short period after the shot is taken and then the shot is displayed in the EVF for a short time. This makes taking fast consecutive shots a bit haphazard, but there may be something in the menu that I have not found yet that can remedy this.

@scottduffy Sadly I cannot compare to the Fuji, however if you have a look at me recent images on Flickr (I'm at work so cannot link - sorry) you will see a few were taken with the 75mm & EM10, hopefully that will give you a bit of an idea.

Thankfully I'm used to using the 135L on Canon full frame so have a decent grasp of using that range, although not as good being a x2 crop it isn't shabby at all :)

@scottduffy have a look back through this thread at @craftysnapper 's shots with the 75mm - they're lovely

Whilst I haven't used it, bear in mind it's effectively 150mm - I have just sold my 85mm ( equivalent to 127mm ) and things were pretty tight when used indoors. Maybe a 45mm 1.8 would be better - and also considerably cheaper

@scottduffy have a look back through this thread at @craftysnapper 's shots with the 75mm - they're lovely

Whilst I haven't used it, bear in mind it's effectively 150mm - I have just sold my 85mm ( equivalent to 127mm ) and things were pretty tight when used indoors. Maybe a 45mm 1.8 would be better - and also considerably cheaper

Thanks for the vote of confidence Damion.:)

scotduffy I have a album of images taken only on the 75mm on my flickr, I hope it helps.

It is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/sets/72157649644105936/

Last edited:
I see that Wilkinsons have dropped their price for the e-m10 body to under £400 tonight. Delivery to cardholder address only though

Thanks for the vote of confidence Damion.:)

scotduffy I have a album of images taken only on the 75mm on my flickr, I hope it helps.

It is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/sets/72157649644105936/

Stunning shots mate. Thanks for sharing them with me. Food for thought.

I keep hearing that the jpegs from the x series are second to none and since I'm not too hot at post processing is thought this was a very important selling point.

Decisions decisions.

Stunning shots mate. Thanks for sharing them with me. Food for thought.

I keep hearing that the jpegs from the x series are second to none and since I'm not too hot at post processing is thought this was a very important selling point.

Decisions decisions.

I think you should take a deep breath and have a serious go at processing images yourself because... If you shoot raw you've always got the raw file to go back to and try something else but with jpeg it is what it is. You can do stuff to a jpeg but maybe not to the extent that you can with a raw. Also, as newer and cleverer software comes out you might find that you can do even better things to a raw file that may well not be possible with a jpeg, for example I used to be pretty happy with jpegs and then when processing raws with Rawshooter Essentials but I found that I could get better results from raws processed in CS5 and if I'd shot jpeg I'd have been much more limited in what I could do.

Processing raws can at first to be a pain and intimidating, maybe, but once you get on with it it's pretty easy and doesn't have to take all night. For example most of my shots take just seconds to process. I have a few changes saved as presents and once these presents have been applied often all I do is adjust the exposure, straighten any wonky shots and maybe crop or clone out anything unwanted. So, many of my images are processed in considerably under a minute. Probably something like 20 seconds actually. Personally I wouldn't let jpeg quality be a deciding factor unless I was doing something that involved very large numbers of images that had to be turned around very quickly.

I think you should take a deep breath and have a serious go at processing images yourself because... If you shoot raw you've always got the raw file to go back to and try something else but with jpeg it is what it is. You can do stuff to a jpeg but maybe not to the extent that you can with a raw. Also, as newer and cleverer software comes out you might find that you can do even better things to a raw file that may well not be possible with a jpeg, for example I used to be pretty happy with jpegs and then when processing raws with Rawshooter Essentials but I found that I could get better results from raws processed in CS5 and if I'd shot jpeg I'd have been much more limited in what I could do.

Processing raws can at first to be a pain and intimidating, maybe, but once you get on with it it's pretty easy and doesn't have to take all night. For example most of my shots take just seconds to process. I have a few changes saved as presents and once these presents have been applied often all I do is adjust the exposure, straighten any wonky shots and maybe crop or clone out anything unwanted. So, many of my images are processed in considerably under a minute. Probably something like 20 seconds actually. Personally I wouldn't let jpeg quality be a deciding factor unless I was doing something that involved very large numbers of images that had to be turned around very quickly.

I think you're 100% correct. I'm actually sitting here right now having a think about how best to begin this journey. I'm not sure whether to get a photoshop book or two or stick to tutorials but the problem with them is that i have no idea what i'm looking for in the first place. I'll let you know when i take my first steps.

I'm absolutely no expert and always used to shoot JPEG - I'd not processed a RAW file in my life before April.

It's really not as daunting as you might think - there's a load of YouTube videos to help

I downloaded a couple of em10 raw files and was really pleased with what could be done with them. There's alot of detail hiding in them. The highlights especially. They can be brought back considerably.

Experiment with your sharpening technique aswell.

lol, funny thing is I shot raw right up until today and gave the jpegs a go out of the EM10 as I'd heard they were good, and they are... very little to do in lightroom at all.
Sure if the occasion needs it, such as really bad lighting or so forth I'll swap back to raw but for everyday it looks like I'll stick to jpegs, at least for a while.

Maybe shoot with both then if there's the odd shot in a batch that needs work you have the raw to fall back on.

I had one camera, may have been my LX3, that wouldn't shoot only raw and instead insisted on raw+jpeg so I used to copy the pics to my pc and then process and delete as appropriate. These days memory cards are big enough that shooting both probably wouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have a case for their em10 ? Or do you just lob it in your kit bag ?

Just shoulder bag for me.

Can anyone clarify the EM10 battery situation? I see it comes with a BLS-1 battery, having read around it seems the BLS-5 is also compatible - is this correct and what would be the reason to chose one over the other?

yep, currently at 5031 views and 91 favourites - its no 105 in explore today

The worst thing is is that's it's crap aswell. There are loads more worthy shots on Flickr than that, one of mine for instance.

Remember what I told you yesterday ? 7600 views now son :D

Is it some sort of computer programme that you have written that keeps going round in circles and logging up more views ?o_O;)

Back