Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks Alan, I knew you probably would ;)

How did you find it iQ & noise wise?

Thanks Chris, I'll give them a look... I'm pretty sure the weight will be ok its the size more than anything, I'm concerned it might be too small for my hands which for me can cause just as many problems as being to large and heavy can.

My understanding is that Oly do a 1yr worldwide warranty, so you'd be covered for a year, then after that you're dependent on the extra year of panamoz warranty.

On the flip side, buying UK stock you get 2yrs warranty as standard, then with the em1 you get "service plus", which give an additional 6 months and expedited turnaround times (apparently). Plus, you'll get whatever the bundle deal is at the time (eg free grip worth £190).
Is there any info on bundle deals as I can't find any. A free grip might well be tempting enough to make me order an EM1. :)

Is there any info on bundle deals as I can't find any. A free grip might well be tempting enough to make me order an EM1. :)

The free grip with pre-orders offer ended last month: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature....=21334&linkCode=shr&tag=1567&docId=1000749003 Not sure what current bundle deals are (if any).

By the way, I see 'Trusted Reviews' gives the camera a score of 1/10 - not sure I trust that review then. :) http://www.trustedreviews.com/olympus-om-d-e-m1_Digital-Camera_review

Last edited:
The free grip with pre-orders offer ended last month: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature....=21334&linkCode=shr&tag=1567&docId=1000749003 Not sure what current bundle deals are (if any).

By the way, I see 'Trusted Reviews' gives the camera a score of 1/10 - not sure I trust that review then. :) http://www.trustedreviews.com/olympus-om-d-e-m1_Digital-Camera_review

Mistake it's now gone up to 9/10,the only thing is Olympus alway had an good JPEG output,but this model seem aimed an the raw shooter :)

Managed to get out yesterday at high tide to see how the em5 would react in what can only be described as less then ideal conditions. It was hard enough to stand never mind hold a camera steady. The extreme spray also made life interesting.

Nice set of images Mark, I really like the third one with the grass giving another sense of the elements at work here

Images from Saturday after I made a quick visit to PhotoLive2013 show (and where I had a play with an EM1). These were all taken with my EM5 and 12-35mm

10499175295_1f79cec3c8_c.jpg

10511033223_f254292629_c.jpg

10519018286_305e308357_c.jpg

10533466805_5110edfeb9_c.jpg

10542508385_60438879d3_c.jpg

I finally found a use for the dramatic tone filter on my OMD. :)

Daughter Of The Night
by The Craftysnapper, on Flickr

Vampires and Zombies by The Craftysnapper, on Flickr

Well that worked pretty I must say.

Thanks everyone.

I got got the first chance to try out the new filter system today, its still early days but the signs are good.
Here is the first shot taken with them but more information can be found on my blog post HERE

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lensworx/10595853073/]
Hitech 67mm Filter Test shot.
by Mark Illsley, on Flickr
[/URL]

I ain't got an e-M5, but I just bought the sensor in this here e-pM2 from the forums,
until an e-P5 gets cheap enough.
Anyway, it's a very dark room and the wife & child were about to go out gathering sweeties.
Straight out of camera Jpeg, it chose ISO6400 and that's fine by me ;

I think I was pushing the em5 to its limits tonight, Another storm hit with force 8 & 9 gales.
I did not get a chance to get out until just after high tide but that was bad enough.

Borth Bubble Bath

Aberstorm Round 2 - 1

Aberstorm Round 2 - 2

Aberstorm Round 2 - 4

Aberstorm Round 2 - 3

I am really considering a faster lens, what options are out there for fast weather sealed lenses?

You could 'splash out' on the new Oly 12-40 f2.8.
Early reports seem extremely favourable.

took the omd out tonight to photograph some fireworks.
Having got back and looked at the images there seems to be a lot of banding in them.
Is this something that is known issue or should I be worried?

I had the camera on a tripod set to ISO200 and IS was turned off.

took the omd out tonight to photograph some fireworks.
Having got back and looked at the images there seems to be a lot of banding in them.
Is this something that is known issue or should I be worried?

I had the camera on a tripod set to ISO200 and IS was turned off.
What lens were you using? A Panasonic one by any chance?

Help please. I'm considering a Panasonic Lumix G vario 100-300mm f/4-5.6 vs Olympus ED 75-300mm f/4-6.7 for bird photography on my new M1 which is on order. Which lens is best for image quality?
Someone has suggested a better approach is just to add a camera i.e.the Panasonic Bridge camera FZ200 with 24X zoom and constant f/2.8. Any comments on this idea?

Mark can you post a crop with visible banding?
Your pics are linking to a yahoo sign-in page instead of a big picture. for me anyway.
Banding from an Olympus lens on your body is practically unknown!

Mark can you post a crop with visible banding?
Your pics are linking to a yahoo sign-in page instead of a big picture. for me anyway.
Banding from an Olympus lens on your body is practically unknown!

I have no idea why it is doing that but here is a crop, I hope by this you are able to see the banding and indeed the noise considering it was shot as ISO200.

Wow, that very fine banding certainly reminds me of crops I've seen of banding with the 20mm.
How odd, thanks for posting your crop.
No idea why or how to fix it though ...

I have no idea why it is doing that but here is a crop, I hope by this you are able to see the banding and indeed the noise considering it was shot as ISO200.

Very strange, the banding is certainly there.
It would be interesting to see the Exif information.

Edit: Just read your posts above.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am hoping it was a combination of settings, time will tell.

I took a trip down to the brecon beacons yesterday. Having just got a 9-18 from the for sale section I could not wait to get out and try it.
I took the omd but also took the 5D just in case, I ended up not using the 5D all day. I was also pleased with how well it did IR, considering the light it did very well.
Here are a few from the trip

Sgwd ddwli uchaf 1

Sgwd ddwli uchaf infrared

Sgwd ddwli uchaf 2

Sgwd clun gwyn

Sgwd clun gwyn Infrared

A question I have been asked more than once over the last week or so is will I be getting rid of my 5D Mark III?
The answer at this point is no. the omd is great but its a different beast imho and should be taken at face value and the should not be compared (hard I know).
I think that the systems could work well together. When I am near the car and dont have far to walk, when I need ultimate quality or when I am tracking moving targets then the 5D will be broken out
When I want something light and the freedom to move around and not stick out like a sore thumb or just an everyday camera to carry around then the omd wins.
I would like to hear how other people feel about this

I would like to hear how other people feel about this

I think for those who can afford to own both systems (full frame and m43) there is some logic to that and they can be 'complimentary'. I own APS-C and m43 but the greater difference between m43 and FF in terms of size, weight, etc makes more sense if budget allows for that. Depends a lot on what you take photos of (eg: wildlife, sports, landscapes, low light) and what you do with them too (very large prints for example).

Last edited:
As with most things I don't think you can be generalise what kit people should own. For me once I spent a little time with m43 gear I knew I didn't need my. 5D2 and L glass. I've personally never regretted dumping my.DSLR gear, but obviously different for others.

Hi all ... a little advice if i may ....

Ive recently just sold my complete Nikon gear and now after a month or so of research, narrowed my future camera down to 2. They are the Pen E-P5 and obviously the OMD E-M5. Is it worth the little extra for the Pen bearing in mind the wifi and fast shutter speeds? Also i used to love my 35mm ... Has anyone got anything at all bad to say about the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:1.8 ??

Any guidance would very much appreciated (y)

Hi Scottie. The e-P5 is newer, expect the price to come down soon. ?E-M5 has built-in viewfinder, e-P5 has ISO100 and 1/8000 shutter ... the WiFi stuff I can't comment on.
For me the e-P5 would be the winner, even without the newer VF-4 or lens.

Hi Scottie. The e-P5 is newer, expect the price to come down soon. ?E-M5 has built-in viewfinder, e-P5 has ISO100 and 1/8000 shutter ... the WiFi stuff I can't comment on.
For me the e-P5 would be the winner, even without the newer VF-4 or lens.

Many thanks (y)

Back