Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The wifi only allows you to connect to a tablet or phone, not your computer/laptop so in a way its restrictive, though the remote app for such devices is good and gives you full control over the camera.

There's a couple of promotions on at present, I believe with the EP5 you can claim a free evf and with the om-d 5 you can claim a free 45mm f1.8 lens.
If you go for the EM1 as of today you can claim £100 cashback on any accessories over £199 that you buy within the next 60 days.

Help needed ..... Im in 2 minds what telephoto lens to go for and reviews are clogging up my tiny mind. Can anyone with hands on experience advice me between these 2 lenses ...
The Panny 100-300 or the Olly 75-300

Any help would be greatly appreciated (y)

I have the Panny 100-300, and I need to use it more.

This is a shot taken with it.

300mm ISO 800 f8 1/320

Last edited:
Its a great lens Colin, I'm as happy with it as I was with my previous canon 100-400 on 5D2, plus it featherweight in comparison :)

The Panny 100-300 is a cracking lens - i'm very pleased with mine. 600mm reach from something so small and light is amazing and it's nice and sharp too.

James

9368615320_70500564f3_c.jpg

Ooooo ... another cracker !! Loving the composition! Was these shot in raw or jpeg straight out of the camera??

Thanks everyone. I am hoping it was a combination of settings, time will tell.

I took a trip down to the brecon beacons yesterday. Having just got a 9-18 from the for sale section I could not wait to get out and try it.
I took the omd but also took the 5D just in case, I ended up not using the 5D all day. I was also pleased with how well it did IR, considering the light it did very well.
Here are a few from the trip

Sgwd ddwli uchaf 1
by Mark Illsley, on Flickr

Sgwd ddwli uchaf infrared

Sgwd ddwli uchaf 2

Sgwd clun gwyn

Sgwd clun gwyn Infrared

A question I have been asked more than once over the last week or so is will I be getting rid of my 5D Mark III?
The answer at this point is no. the omd is great but its a different beast imho and should be taken at face value and the should not be compared (hard I know).
I think that the systems could work well together. When I am near the car and dont have far to walk, when I need ultimate quality or when I am tracking moving targets then the 5D will be broken out
When I want something light and the freedom to move around and not stick out like a sore thumb or just an everyday camera to carry around then the omd wins.
I would like to hear how other people feel about this

Fantastic shots Mark.

I'm having the same thoughts on the 2 zoom lenses now, so which one did you go for then and have you used it yet?

I'm having the same thoughts on the 2 zoom lenses now, so which one did you go for then and have you used it yet?

Im still pondering Martin. Probably one of the hardest decisions I've had to make when deciding on lenses :confused:

Happy new year !

Disappointed to see this thread has slumped to page 9 :(

Has the OMD bubble burst? Have people moved on to other things? Or is it just winter blues ?

Hi Alan, happy New Year to you to, let's hope it's a good one.

I'm sure the OMD bubble has not burst at all. I've just been too busy to get any personal time, mostly dealing with the many problems and issues which swallow up far too many hours of my working week, ugh. Running a business seems to get worse every year ...

I'm enjoying my EM1 but I have got a new squeeze - a little EPL5 which I bought as a small personal use camera to leave in my handbag. I absolutely love it and I seem to be using it constantly.

I also recently got the Oly 17mm f1.8 lens which is lovely.

Hi Alan, happy New Year to you to, let's hope it's a good one.

I'm sure the OMD bubble has not burst at all. I've just been too busy to get any personal time, mostly dealing with the many problems and issues which swallow up far too many hours of my working week, ugh. Running a business seems to get worse every year ...

I'm enjoying my EM1 but I have got a new squeeze - a little EPL5 which I bought as a small personal use camera to leave in my handbag. I absolutely love it and I seem to be using it constantly.

I also recently got the Oly 17mm f1.8 lens which is lovely.

Yay Lindsay :)

Happy New Year!

I still pop in here every now and again... still have my E-M5 and after a period of acclimatization to my Fuji gear I'm thinking of selling up and 'reinvesting' in m4/3rds with an E-M1 and some more lenses.
I just seem to end up using my Oly gear more often.

Some recent images, first two taken in Devon over Christmas and the last taken at the weekend on a walk.

Last edited:
Nice images there Huw, interesting that you went to Fuji and now considering switching back.

I've not been out for weeks and weeks, have been swayed by Sony A7 and beautiful full frame images, but the m43 size is just sooooo nice :)

Nice images there Huw, interesting that you went to Fuji and now considering switching back.

I've not been out for weeks and weeks, have been swayed by Sony A7 and beautiful full frame images, but the m43 size is just sooooo nice :)

Thanks Julian, yep Fuji is nice don't get me wrong but I just find I pick up my E-M5 more when going out.
Luckily I didn't jump in with both feet when I bought into Fuji, I kept my E-M5, 35-100, 75-300 and recently purchased a 12-40 to replace my 12-35 :)

Whats peoples opinion on the half leather cases? they seem very expensive in this country at £50+ but about £25 from abroad has anyone got one?

Whats peoples opinion on the half leather cases? they seem very expensive in this country at £50+ but about £25 from abroad has anyone got one?
I have one, after buying it at £50+ I found a uk supplier at about £25. I like it as it offers protection to the body but no access to the card slot, so a pain in that way. For £50 I would not buy it again but for £25 worth the investment.

I have one, after buying it at £50+ I found a uk supplier at about £25. I like it as it offers protection to the body but no access to the card slot, so a pain in that way. For £50 I would not buy it again but for £25 worth the investment.

Hi do you have the web site found please?

Hi do you have the web site found please?
It was the Toma case on

love cases . co. uk

No spaces of course

Not as good as the gariz but a fair few quid less

Happy new year !

Disappointed to see this thread has slumped to page 9 :(

Has the OMD bubble burst? Have people moved on to other things? Or is it just winter blues ?
Hi Alan! Good to see you!
For me I think it is a case of the weather preventing me from taking the sort of images I like, and winter apathy is stopping me from trying any other types of photography!
I am hoping that my mojo returns with the spring!

I've just ordered a 17mm 1.8 so looking forward to getting out and about more and posting on here.

Anyone got any good things to say about the 17mm?

Here is a couple from a recent Frosty morning kayak in Cornwall.
I use my camera the most on my kayak and its pretty hard to get the setting right sometimes and still catch the moment.
11891027325_6b82582b1c_z.jpg

11891287773_ed51bf0c2f_z.jpg

I've just ordered a 17mm 1.8 so looking forward to getting out and about more and posting on here.

Anyone got any good things to say about the 17mm?

Lovely lens and great FL. I've just purchased my second copy.
Serene couple of images too :)

Great kayaking images.
The 17mm? Yep, bloody love it. It's basically welded to my e-m5 from sunset to sunrise!
Pretty sure this was taken in Shanghai with my 17mm.

I'm guessing with the 17mm if I get a lens hood then you can't fit a filter as the hoods are screw in?

This was more exciting news than the EM10 launch IMO

ISO update is nice, although I assume this showing as 'Low' is not a true ISO100, but still nice as an option

Agreed a worth while update, good to see Olympus continuing to offer enhancements to the excellent E-M5

Back