Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

What M lenses are you using on it? I've been looking at either a NEX-7, XPro or the OM-D to go with the M9 or just buy a 28mm f/2 Summicron if they are all unsuitable.

I have a Voigtlander 15mm f4, Zeiss 28mm f2.8, Zeiss 35mm f2,0, Leica Summicron 50mm, Leica Elmarit 90mm. They are all OK but in my opinion none are as good on the mFT format as the native Panasonic/Olympus primes and I certainly wouldn't buy any of them just to use on mFT.

If you really want to buy an M fit lens for mFT Voigtlander is probably the way to go. Their Color Skopar are very sharp on full frame and adequate on mFT. Try the 25mm f4 and Heliar 75mm. Remeber that there is no reason not to buy the LTM (screw) versions. The LRM to M adaptor is cheap and totally inconspicuous - only 1mm thick. Works well on an M9 as well.

I forgot about this thread, I'm still here using my trusty E-M5, haven't been out much due to the bad weather but I did experiment with the Triggertrap cable I got for Christmas.

A picture taken every 500m, using Triggertrap on my iPhone 5 attached to my Olympus OM-D & Olympus 17mm with over 800 shots taken and combined in iMovie to create this time-lapse of our journey from Eastbourne to Carmarthen (approx 280 miles).

Very good. I got one as a Chrissy present as well and must try the distance lapse facility sometime. What I don't like about the Triggertrap is that it doesn't let you set start time and number of shots like most intervalometers. Not a bad device through.

Anyone recommend a 3rd party battery as been looking at EX-Pro ones on eBay?

Anyone recommend a 3rd party battery as been looking at EX-Pro ones on eBay?

Apparently the latest X-Pro BLN-1 clones will work in the Olympus charger but the earlier ones don't.

I have four of the earlier version, they need their own charger but they work well enough with the E-M5. I'll probably get a few of the later version or the MaximalPower BLN-1 clone for my new E-M1.

I have been thinking about the OMD - EM1 but have decided to wait and look at the 40-150mm f2.8 lens when it comes out.

This is taken with the 40-150mm f4.0 - 5.6 lens

Wistful

Hi All,
I recently updated to V2.0 firmware all successful.

Today I went for a walkabout, spotted a heron in the rushes, pressed the shutter appeared to be OK. I then checked and the image stored was completely black.

I took another one that worked correctly, but the one after that was black again. I took another 4 shots OK, then the next one is black again.

It appears to me to be a wake up/start up problem?

I was using the Pana 100-300 lens in "P" mode. Has anybody seen this before?
I have a big shoot coming up in May and I need my camera kit to be reliable.

Think I'll resurrect this 'old' EM-5 thread - I still love mine and have no intention of changing it for the M1 or anything else - shots below taken yesterday with the Pana 25mm....

Thanks. These were at F2.2, but I wasn't really going for shallow DOF, more balancing between sufficient DOF and shutter speed (1/60th). The 45mm or 75mm are far better tools for shallow DOF work. The 45mm is the ultimate bargain buy for m43......

Well, I went to look at a 6D, and briefly held the OM-D EM1 to compare at price points. Well, there's no contest. The EM1 is built far better, has better controls, high ISO's aren't that far apart in real world use [i.e shots, not test charts], the focus is faster, the viewfinder larger and brighter [I was absolutely blown away by the EVF], and it means I get to keep both fast low light primes and mucho telephoto reach without splurging on new EF glass. So..... now an EM1 owner. Roll on the 300/4 next year! For now, I own the 14mm and the 100-300. So, I have a hankering for some fast 'standard-ish' [give or take] available light indoor kiddy portrait glass, which lens would you choose? I'm not a zoom guy, and I want something a stop faster than a 2.8 at the least.

Kiddie full length stuff would be either the Panny 25mm F1.4 or Olympus 25mm F1.8 . For better isolation or head and shoulders the 45mm F1.8 is the way to go (this lens is a bargain, not something Olympus is known for!).

cheers for the advice! I have £100 cash back offer on any lens, and the 25/1.4 looks very versatile. I'm just playing with some ISO 25,000 shots in lightroom and they look great given the speed. The noise reduction in LR works wonders, too. Just a very nice camera, really pleased with how it handles - very natural even at the default button mappings. The live HDR looks great fun, too.

I'd happily use ISO 25k for smaller prints and web stuff. Can't get over how much better it handles the higher settings than my ol' trusty G3! I remember the D700 allowed me to shoot ISO 3200 for the first time with impunity for larger prints - I'd suggest this is easliy on a par with that, such have cameras come along in the last few years. Still, there's a manual to read....

Last edited:
Hi All,

Today I went for a walkabout, spotted a heron in the rushes, pressed the shutter appeared to be OK. I then checked and the image stored was completely black.

I took another one that worked correctly, but the one after that was black again. I took another 4 shots OK, then the next one is black again.

I had the same problem yesterday,different lens and memory card, so contacted Olympus and sent images over.
They have asked me to send it back, which I have done today. Will update when they get back to me.

Hi All,

It appears to me to be a wake up/start up problem?

I had a similar problem - mine is off for repair now. Sounds like a shutter fault which affects a small proportion of E-M5s. Nothing to do with firmware revision. Check you're not accidentally bracketing, though.
Mine would do it most often soon after waking or lens change. Occasionally it would lock up completely after doing it. Most common at higher shutter speeds, say >1/500 and for a while I struggled to say whether it was operator or camera error but mine has deteriorated to the point that it happens regularly at 1/200.

See http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3230080 and http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41954254 among others for info

Does the EM1 display focus distance when shooting in manual focus?

Especially looking at this for focus by wire lenses not that I use them much but would be after a 9-18mm if the focus distance is displayed.

Edit
I followed a link to an OMD thread is there an OMD-EM-1 thread?

Last edited:
Hi Alf. You think that the potential for on-sensor-PDAF would allow the E-M1 to calculate focus distance and put it in the EXIF like for DSLRs?
I guess its unlikely but a really good question ...

Ulfric
There is no reason it cannot be done Fuji added it to the XPro1 in a firmware update.

Friend just got back theirs from this camera repairer that saw someone else mention on here. Apparently did the job.
He thought it might be an issue with the firmware too, but didn't have alot to go on. Tried rolling back the firmware but think he messed something up. All good now though.

I now have my camera back, the shutter was replaced under warranty, which expires on May 2nd so just in time or what.
I have only taken a couple of test shots so far, but all looks good.

Regards

Ive heard mix reviews on the E-M5 performance when it comes to sports and quick auto focus. My main lens is the 17mm 1.8 but also brought a 40-150 as they are fairly cheap for a good pocket zoom lens.
Got the opportunity to take some pictures of some friends learning to wake board in a local park. The camera was very hit and miss with its focusing and you had to anticipate the shot but once i got the hang of it i got a couple sharp shots.

13900706034_747946bb03_c.jpg
[/url]P4150048 by Tucksy81

13900688874_aa520c206e_c.jpg
[/url]P4150061 by Tucksy81

13900267505_c35213b037_c.jpg
[/url]P4150095 by Tucksy81

Last edited:
The camera was very hit and miss with its focusing and you had to anticipate the shot but once i got the hang of it i got a couple sharp shots./quote]

I found the same thing but have managed to get some sharp shots as well.

Last edited:
Ive heard mix reviews on the E-M5 performance when it comes to sports and quick auto focus. My main lens is the 17mm 1.8 but also brought a 40-150 as they are fairly cheap for a good pocket zoom lens.
Got the opportunity to take some pictures of some friends learning to wake board in a local park. The camera was very hit and miss with its focusing and you had to anticipate the shot but once i got the hang of it i got a couple sharp shots.

Those all look pretty good to me. I've found the same - variable success with AF locking generally. However I've also found the 40-150mm lens to be optically extremely good, especially given the bargain price, and your shots with it seem to bear that out.

Those all look pretty good to me. I've found the same - variable success with AF locking generally. However I've also found the 40-150mm lens to be optically extremely good, especially given the bargain price, and your shots with it seem to bear that out.

Yea when it worked it worked very well for a very cheap lens.

Can't find an EM-1 thread, received just a couple of hours ago - one happy owner thus far

em-1 by dancook1982, on Flickr

didn't take long for me to be very satisfied - but I need to take it out for a proper spin

1600 RAW by dancook1982, on Flickr

1600 RAW - Close Up by dancook1982, on Flickr

One of my first shots before I put it into RAW mode! I found JPG @ 1600 looks good until you zoom/crop - RAW is as I would hope. Here's an outdoor ISO 200 JPG L

First Em-1 Shots ISO 200 JPG L by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
Can't find an EM-1 thread, received just a couple of hours ago - one happy owner thus far

em-1 by dancook1982, on Flickr

didn't take long for me to be very satisfied - but I need to take it out for a proper spin

1600 RAW by dancook1982, on Flickr

1600 RAW - Close Up by dancook1982, on Flickr

One of my first shots before I put it into RAW mode! I found JPG @ 1600 looks good until you zoom/crop - RAW is as I would hope. Here's an outdoor ISO 200 JPG L

First Em-1 Shots ISO 200 JPG L by dancook1982, on Flickr

Hi Dan,did you just tell the guy in the the photos you brought an Olympus instead of an Fuji :D

Has anyone tried shooting handheld with an IR filter? I've seen some posts on DPR where someone claimed you could shoot handheld at ISO1000+ with a R72.
Anyone tried this?

I have just bought a Panasonic 45-175mm from this forum, a test shot is below SOOC just resized and cropped for here.

Taken through my lounge window, not bad for a start I don't think. The EXIF data is intact incase people are interested.

Last edited:
Not sure if ive posted one on here since i got my em5, but heres one from my recent trip to Spain. The stitching needs a little work but its late!Ronda by /Cud, on Flickr

Here you go. I quite like the picture, so will redo the stitching as it there is some blurring / ghosting in placesm should also print quite nicely at 8000 x 000 pixels!

ronda 2-Edit.jpg by /Cud, on Flickr

Back