one from this morning

hi Derek. 1st off id like to know what kit and settings where used please? the fence post is out of focus which is a shame. there doesn't seem to be any ground in the shot which i feel makes it seem like this is a crop of a bigger image. the shot seems to be taken later in the morning or after lunch so unfortunately there are a few blown highlights. that being said you did well to shoot this scene at this time with out to much contrast. overall ok but I feel there was a better composition to be had.

Hope this wasn't to harsh, feel free to critique my work on my facebook site if you wish :)

thanks for critique Phill,not a crop so agree my composition could be better,settings etc on my flickr exif, cheers again,

It's blurred everywhere. 1/13th and f11... were you using a tripod? If so, then go easy on how firmly you press the shutter (or instead use a cable release). If you were not using a tripod, what else did you expect? Far too slow a shutter speed to hand hold.

The gate is coming far too close to the camera, so it's obviously out of focus, even at f11. Juts back off a bit, or stop down more, but even at f22 it would have been soft, and if you've no tripod, you'd have needed 1/4 sec at the same ISO, so which would have made it worse.

It seems very noisy in the shadows too. Was any shadow recovery used.. was it under exposed off camera?

Other than that, I'm not sure what to say.... it's a shot of a gate. What were you trying to evoke or make the viewer feel? The shaft of sunlight picking out the gate balanced against the sun itself is quite pleasing.. has a warm, autumn feel to it. If that was it, it works... but it's just not a very exciting image, and has some real technical issues that need addressing. Quality is terrible.

thanks David,never had tripod with me,comments taken on board,cheers.

Last edited:
Back