One of the many lakes of the Eduardo Avaroa reserve in Bolivia.

Name
Rowan
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
Looking back on last year, although this photo is a massive deviation from my normal style, I keep coming back to it as it always takes me right back to that day of the tour we took in and around the salt flats .
Feedback and critique always appreciated!
Thanks,
Rowan

24317589705_29e5d242a8_b.jpg

That is a beautiful wild landscape image- glorious delicate light, lovely composition, lots of interest, great depth of field, and overall a delight to the eye.

That is a beautiful wild landscape image- glorious delicate light, lovely composition, lots of interest, great depth of field, and overall a delight to the eye.

Have to agree with this.
There's real beauty in what seems like a desolate place, and the llama (?) is perfectly placed in the shot.
Thanks for posting...it's good to see these far away places :)

Have to agree with this.
There's real beauty in what seems like a desolate place, and the llama (?) is perfectly placed in the shot.
Thanks for posting...it's good to see these far away places :)

Thank you so much for your kind words! It certainly was quite desolate, but at least there was some vegetation unlike some of the more martian landscapes we encountered on the tour.

PS: It's a vicuña, just imagine a less dopey-looking, elegant llama

It's technically good and a nice enough view but I wonder if there's more you can do to focus attention - maybe try a portrait crop if you have enough resolution:

Very quick edit, probably not optimal positioning or ratio:

*Not sure why this isn't displaying without clicking it - image shows in Preview

Last edited:
I'm not keen on the re-crop.
It loses all the sense of vastness that the original has.

I'm not keen on the re-crop.
It loses all the sense of vastness that the original has.

I agree with this, by doing a letter box crop you lose some of the layering present in the image and by doing a portrait crop you reduce the sense of scale and vastness in the photo (as you mention.)

Very quick edit, probably not optimal positioning or ratio:
It all depends on the final use of it but this crop is good.

In my operations, I would propose the picture as posted and let the AD
decide hor to use it. I heard too often "Do you have…" vertical or horizon-
talk or higher res or else just because I was to eager to crop.
That long mountain range in the background is an essential ingredient of the composition IMO
+1

Apologies for hijacking an old thread - but any advice on going to Boliva.

Don't recrop it - it looksgreat.

Back