Opinions welcomed....Nikon 300f4 to Sigma 50-500 os

Edit My Images
Yes
I’m presently trying to make my mind up over the following decision and I’m open to opinions on whether it’s a fair move or not. I have a Nikon 300f4 + 1.4TC (used on a D610), a very nice set up but I find it a bit restricting (used at nature and RSPB reserves), so I feel a zoom would be more useful to me. I’ve been considering the Sigma 50-500 OS and have read many reviews and seen many images......and that’s where my problem lies. Many reviewers end up by saying “the Nikon 300f + 1.4TC is a much better unit”.....therefore would I be taking a big step backwards in terms of IQ? I appreciate zoom v prime is a no brainer; I’m prepared to take a ‘slight’ step back for the flexibility of zoom. By any chance as anybody done a similar change? I would be interested in your thoughts.

It takes me ages to decide on anything, so any help will be greatly received.

I haven't used a Sigma 50-500 but I have used the 300 f4 + 1.4TC and it doesn't impact greatly on image quality but still only gets you to 420 ... with a 1.7TC you get to 510 but IQ starts to be affected and AF can suffer considerably at times.
My experience of doing wildlife, reserves etc is that you always need longer ... get 300, want 400, then 500 isn't enough ... for the equivalent (new) price of the Sigma 50-500 there is the Tamron 150-600 giving even more reach ... just something to make your decision harder :D

Thanks gramps. I was wondering about the Tamron, but have yet to read any reviews on it. The thing what attracts me to the Sigma is the ability to shoot birds at distance and then in seconds shoot butterflies just yards away.....just as a example! I'm sure if I added the Tamron to the 'what shall I do list', my brain would get fried........yes I'm hopeless at deciding:D

What about a Nikon 200-400 f4 with TC?

I moved from a 'Bigma' to the above and am really pleased I did. Alternatively get yourself a second body with a shorter lens, that makes it even easier to cover close and long distance.

If you have that 420mm set up I wouldn't bother with a 500mm zoom. Firstly most zooms soften at the long end- so I wouldn't use it at the 500 end. Secondly a 500mm zoom only gets close to 500mm if you're focusing at infinity. Overall you're looking at a useable focal length of what 450mm? I have the canon equivalent 300 f4 and 1.4x, and the tamron 600- anything shorter seemed pointless. I've photographed birdies and insects with both set ups- and only really use the zoom function of the tamron to make it smaller to carry.

Keep your Nikon 300mm f/4 and 1.4x Converter and get what you can, and save your money up and by some decent glass :) The Sigma 50-500mm will not benefit your photography and your IQ will go down a lot from the 300mm f/4, You could maybe buy the Nikon 1.7x Converter to use on your 300mm f/4 giving you 510mm f/6.7, I used the combo a lot and gave me great shots before I upgraded, If your interesting here is a shot taken with a D700, 300mm f/4 + 1.7x Converter

(Don't want to spam this thread with pics so theres the link )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeturnerimages/12031087203/

Last edited:
rather than the 1.7x would it not be worth considering the newer mkIII 2.0x teleconverter, quality is excellent and that would give you 300/420/600 options - I know that Nikon says no autofocus with the 2.0x and the 300/4 but having this combination it seems to work fine for me (of course, keeping to the centre point is the sensible thing to do)

Gramps - now that's the flexibility which attracts me to these large zooms.

Brian - way out of my league, price wise. Didn't fancy another body (just sold a D300s), trying to keep things simple....ish.

Dan - that's what worries me and why I haven't done the leap....yet!

Mike.P - very impressive, again I can see the appeal of these zooms.

Joe - I did wonder about a 1.7TC, but again was worried I'd still miss the flexibility of zooming. BTW - excellent photos on your Flickr, the 1.7 doesn't seem to affect IQ on the Nikon 300f4.

Darren - I always thought a 2.0x was just a bit too much for IQ......but it would certainly give me much more reach.

Many thanks everybody for your input.

Last edited:
rather than the 1.7x would it not be worth considering the newer mkIII 2.0x teleconverter, quality is excellent and that would give you 300/420/600 options - I know that Nikon says no autofocus with the 2.0x and the 300/4 but having this combination it seems to work fine for me (of course, keeping to the centre point is the sensible thing to do)

2x MKIII on 300mm f/4 is totally useless, focus is pretty much all but gone and IQ is poor, the 1.7x is the max with the 300mm f/4

Joe - I did wonder about a 1.7TC, but again was worried I'd still miss the flexibility of zooming. BTW - excellent photos on your Flickr, the 1.7 doesn't seem to affect IQ on the Nikon 300f4.

The flexibility of the zoom mite not be possible but for the best image quality primes is the only way to go, The 1.7x doesn't effect IQ at all IMHO, The focus is slightly hit but still able to gets BIF Happily

just a comment on the IQ - I used to have a 1.7x and traded it in for a 1.4x as I didn't like the results I was getting, I certainly wasn't interested in the 2.0 (mkII at the time), when the mkIII was released reviews shouted about how much better it is but it was only after talking to a couple of photographers that actually had one that I got one myself and am very impressed with it :)

2x MKIII on 300mm f/4 is totally useless, focus is pretty much all but gone and IQ is poor, the 1.7x is the max with the 300mm f/4

really? - ok, my personal experience is somewhat different but I'll take your word for it ;)

you could a sigma dp2 or ricoh gr , or a nex as a close range wider angle option, and have dslr on sling strap, and compact on neck strap...

I seem to recall that the mark III 2x TC isn't compatible with the 300mm AF-S. I looked as I too have a 300+1.4x TCII.

Edit: just checked and that combo is AF compatible with only certain bodies, so it could work on my D800 but would not on my D300.

Last edited:
Back