Out of my comfort zone - C&C most welcome!

Name
Jean
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm posting in this section with great trepidation! :eek: I'm in awe of all the wonderful bird pics on here, and this is the first shot that I've been brave enough to share!

I'd really appreciate advice and comments - good and bad. :)

Female Chaffinch (hope that, at least, is right). :)

DSC_4205LR.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Jean

Your ID is correct Jean, a good activity and the image is sharp and nicely exposed.

great start.

I agree, a nice capture Jean and welcome to the fold.

Regards: Gordon

It may be my screen but it looks bit soft to me. :shrug:

Jean, what lens did you use?

Hi Kev - I think you're right! It was very much a grab shot - the bird just landed on the fence as I was walking past and I didn't have time to change settings - I just zoomed to 200mm and fired off half a dozen shots hoping to get something ....

I was using my 70-200 at f7.1, 1/160th, and it's a hard crop. :)

Jean

We have a new birder aboard! :D:

Well done Jean. I don't think it's soft as such - just a big crop and pushing the limits of the resolution - but that's birding for you, you need to get closer or longer glass but that's a worthwhile shot.

We have a new birder aboard! :D:

Well done Jean. I don't think it's soft as such - just a big crop and pushing the limits of the resolution - but that's birding for you, you need to get closer or longer glass but that's a worthwhile shot.

Many thanks for the encouragement, CT. Having admired your superb photography for several years, I'm really thrilled with your comments. I've a lot to learn though. :)

Jean

Jean you done very well with only 200mm on board, it is very nice with a clean background.As CT said its probably just the big crop that is making it look tad soft and a quick blast of selected noise reduction on the background would sort out the noise no problem (the noise is also probably caused by the big crop as well). Very good for your first bird post - well done.

Well done Jean(y)

This birding thin is addictive. Was never into small things but I am now:)
Only comment to me that I received was try and not get shots on barb wire or wire

Hi Kev - I think you're right! It was very much a grab shot - the bird just landed on the fence as I was walking past and I didn't have time to change settings - I just zoomed to 200mm and fired off half a dozen shots hoping to get something ....

I was using my 70-200 at f7.1, 1/160th, and it's a hard crop. :)

Jean

Still, good effort considering you only used 1/160th. :)

Technicalities apart, its a good catch Jean, so well done and welcome to the birding section, only the best in here you know, other than myself :D
I agree with the comments about being a big crop, but as CT said, thats birding. Looking forward to seeing some more from you (y)

(y) Well done Jean... lovely little boids.

looks just a tad soft from here, but I get ya with the quick grab and shoot

think you've done a great job and glad you got such a good capture :clap: Look forward to seeing some more.

Hi Jean and welcome, I would settle for any bird with some nesting material in it`s gob :( so well done on that (y) Some good advice has already been given so I shall save my breath :LOL:

Welcome to birding Jean. A good spot and a nice capture for a grab shot.

If you need any encouragement have a look at some of the images in here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185186&highlight=Duffers

some very good bird togger's have also put their contributions there which just shows its not that easy :bang:

but very rewarding when you do get a good shot :)

so keep trying and posting here and you will get good advice :puke:

Jean you done very well with only 200mm on board, it is very nice with a clean background.As CT said its probably just the big crop that is making it look tad soft and a quick blast of selected noise reduction on the background would sort out the noise no problem (the noise is also probably caused by the big crop as well). Very good for your first bird post - well done.

Thanks, Roy. My pp skills are even less well developed than my birding skills (hard to believe,I know!) and I haven't the least idea how to do selected noise reduction. Is this something I need a plug-in for or can it be done through PS? btw - Mr JG nearly passed out when he saw the comment about 'only a 200mm on board'. I could see him thinking "omg, it's her birthday next month" :LOL:

Well done Jean

This birding thin is addictive. Was never into small things but I am now
Only comment to me that I received was try and not get shots on barb wire or wire

Thank you kindly Martin. It's typical that in the middle of the New Forest (packed full of trees, just to hammer my point home!) the only time I get a marginally ok bird pic, it's sitting on a wire fence. :bang:

Still, good effort considering you only used 1/160th.

Thanks, Kev. Actually, it could have been much, much worse! ;)

Technicalities apart, its a good catch Jean, so well done and welcome to the birding section, only the best in here you know, other than myself
I agree with the comments about being a big crop, but as CT said, thats birding. Looking forward to seeing some more from you

Thanks, Trev. I guess the devil is in the detail, in this case the 'technicalities', but I feel a whole new world of togging opening up. :D

nice capture jean and welcome to the birds section
regards ian

Cheers, Ian. What a nice friendly lot you are. :)

Well done Jean... lovely little boids.

looks just a tad soft from here, but I get ya with the quick grab and shoot

think you've done a great job and glad you got such a good capture :clap: Look forward to seeing some more.

Thank you so much, Azure.

Hi Jean and welcome, I would settle for any bird with some nesting material in it`s gob :( so well done on that (y) Some good advice has already been given so I shall save my breath :LOL:

Thanks, Rich. I think she's lining her nest with horse hair.

Welcome to birding Jean. A good spot and a nice capture for a grab shot.

If you need any encouragement have a look at some of the images in here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185186&highlight=Duffers

some very good bird togger's have also put their contributions there which just shows its not that easy :bang:

but very rewarding when you do get a good shot

so keep trying and posting here and you will get good advice :puke:

Tom, I've just spent ages going through the duffers thread - I felt so at home, and think this proves it!!

DSC_4213LR.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement and good advice. Much appreciated. (y)

Jean

:nono: quality is too good to go to the duffers thread - come on some of the fence is even in focus. Try harder next time :D

:nono: quality is too good to go to the duffers thread - come on some of the fence is even in focus. Try harder next time :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I'll try harder!!! :) It can't be *that* hard, surely. :bang: ;)

welcome aboard Jean and not a bad shot to start with great to see the nesting material, I am sure you will get lots of help and tips on here

Thanks very much. Wouldn't it be great if we could build our homes so easily? :D

Jean

Back