Outdoor Portrait

Name
Mac
Edit My Images
No
Hi - I had an interesting photo shoot with some of my friends kids. im reasonably pleased with these but wondering what i can do to make them pop a bit more. Also have i overcooked nr 2 (LR preset) ?
thanks in advance. J

3627487995_9852a164bf.jpg

3627483391_8dba0023c7.jpg

3628294728_4e7fef3f17.jpg

3629883668_8e983cd9f8.jpg

I like them all, nice photos of lovely kids. I would try playing around with the sliders in LR rather than just using presets which apply the same settings to all photos. In 1, I would try upping the contrast and exposure and then using the recovery slider if you lose details in the dress. if that doesn't rock your boat then maybe using the adjustment brush to lighten the eyes a little bit.

Last edited:
thanks Pete. Il try your advice, i certainly think the preset is a bit strong on two of these and nr 1 is flat but has a bit of scope!. this was my first attempt at shooting someone elses kids and i was trying to keep them in focus - i wasnt sure about the wall as it can be a strong background!

I agree with Pete, try using the sliders in LR to increase the contrast by adjusting the exposure, blacks, clarity and vibrance.

The first shot is an absolute corker and I had a very quick play in Photoshop (you might want to use the Recovery slider on the original for the whites), I lightened it slightly then used some curves to give it more pop but being a very small file I was obviously limited as to what I could do but hopefully it will give some ideas.

I've put them side by side for easy reference, hope this helps.

Hacker - thank you! what a difference, it has much more pop and the softness gone! I will try this on the original and a few of the others. i usually work between CS4 and LR2 but with this set i only used LR (probs because ive only recently installed it!). would you normally keep the subject in focus and blur the background out (shallow DOF) or try both?

I didn't do anything to the sharpness on this one as the file was too small, get the exposure and colour right before you start experimenting with selective focus as you will probably find you don't to do that with this shot.

yeah, i dont think it needs selective focus (wouldnt know how to use it :)) and im happy with how its composed. i went wide open to get the DOF to keep her sharp. thanks for your ideas......im glad i posted.

I'm with the majority here, lovely shots that just needed that last tweak to bring out their best. She's a little cutie isn't she - a pleasure to shoot. (y)

Lovely edit Colin. :clap:

Thanks V8 - it was a pleasure but it was really hot and bright, (lots of harse lighting in some). i only had a half hour window to keep them amused then it was tears! lol. i know what to expect next time.... you learn fast! Lots of good advice here, it helps lots.

yeah, i dont think it needs selective focus (wouldnt know how to use it :)) and im happy with how its composed. i went wide open to get the DOF to keep her sharp. thanks for your ideas......im glad i posted.

What is selective focus? You mean local adjustment (claity) in LR?

Hope you dont mind but i couldnt pass on a lovely pic ;)

Girl-3.jpg
Girl-2.jpg
Girl.jpg

Lovely shots, considering all the work the others are doing i think you can guess what i also feel is the best of the great bunch

wow - this looks great. how did you do this?

I used LR uswer presets & made a few adjustments myself.

Loads can be found here.

Select one that suits & tweak as required.

I used LR uswer presets & made a few adjustments myself.

Loads can be found here.

Select one that suits & tweak as required.

thanks for that link snoop. also, im new to LR but how do you manage to group the 3 images together? ive seen this done before and it looks good, say in a sequence of images, it would be useful for my own kids stuff.

thanks for that link snoop. also, im new to LR but how do you manage to group the 3 images together? ive seen this done before and it looks good, say in a sequence of images, it would be useful for my own kids stuff.

No problem, as for linking the pics just put the tags one after another.
Its easy with these as the pics are fairly small & fit on the page.Any bigger &
the viewer would have to scroll from left to right to see the pictures.

Example..............
[IMG]htt*://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/snoop69/Girl-3.jpg
Girl-2.jpg
Girl.jpg

Last edited:
No problem, as for linking the pics just put the tags one after another.
Its easy with these as the pics are fairly small & fit on the page.Any bigger &
the viewer would have to scroll from left to right to see the pictures.

Example..............
[IMG]htt*://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/snoop69/Girl-3.jpg
Girl-2.jpg
Girl.jpg

thanks again

I adore the first and last picture.. You captured the softness and cuteness just perfectly :) x

Back