"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Just got back from a trip to Thailand, which was great :D

I took my Sony A7 + 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8, Panasonic LX5 and GX7 + 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8. That's the most photo gear I've ever taken abroad :D

I took... no shots with the A7, it didn't get used at all. I took 4 shots with the LX5 and something like 175 with the GX7 and 20mm f1.7, the 45mm didn't get used.

Overall I liked the GX7 although I'm not completely used to the handling and controls yet. It seems to be a nice size and the picture quality whilst not being up to the ultimate quality the A7 can supply is probably good enough for me and I was usually able to expose for the often very bright highlights shooting at -1 and even as much as -2 compensation at times and boost the shadows without too much drama.

Anyway, I thought this little shot said how I felt about getting there and back...

And just to add to the big fat DSLR v CSC debate - I saw quite a few CSC's of various types being used and fewer DSLR's. The DSLR's that I did see were mostly in the hands of the few western and more numerous Chinese looking tourists I saw (I wasn't in a western tourist hot spot) mostly with what looked like kit lenses. Most people were obviously shooting with smartphone thingies.

Last edited:
I've just got a GX-7 to replace my ageing G1.

Went for the 20mm and received the 12-32mm yesterday. Today was the first day I really had a time to play with it. Still getting used to the controls, but results are looking promising.

I don't suppose anyone on this thread is looking to sell their 25mm F1.4 lens by any chance? I did think about putting a wanted ad in the classifieds but I don't think they get read much?

There's one on the oly forum for 300.....

Never bothered much with bird photography but on my daily walk past Braunston church I started hearing the call of a raptor then noticed a Peregrine Falcon. I always carry my X10 and tried a shot at max focal length. As they say in The Fast Show, "The results were disappointing".
Next day I went armed with the G3 plus a very old Tamron 80-210mm Pentax fit with adapter.
This time the results were more pleasing. Not quite as sharp as I'd like but that's down to my manual focusing I think.
Click 4 larger..
Peregrine Falcon. Braunston Church by Farmejim, on Flickr

Looking for a small camera to take on hols with me. Dont want a compact but fancy a M43 setup. Was thinking of either a G2 or a G3 with a 20mm. 2nd hand obviously. Which would you experts recommend for great image quality? Currently use a 550D but finding it bulky even though it is not much bigger than the 2 i have mentioned.

Looking for a small camera to take on hols with me. Dont want a compact but fancy a M43 setup. Was thinking of either a G2 or a G3 with a 20mm. 2nd hand obviously. Which would you experts recommend for great image quality?
G3 (cheaper) or G5 (far better in the hands, and worth any extra in second hand price IMHO). G2 doesn't have as good a sensor as the G3 and the G5 betters the G3 a little.

G3. The G2 uses the same sensor as the G1 and wasn't a huge improvement tbh. A 14-45 kit zoom might be an alternative all rounder or just the 14mm 2.5. The 20mm is a great lens though, pin sharp and you'll get some decent bokeh, it's not the quickest at focusing but if you're not shooting anything that moves quickly it'll be fine.

A GX1 + 20mm is pretty much as compact as you can get for an M43 setup ...I took one on holiday a couple of years ago - took another lens too but that spent most of its time in the hotel...

PS I am selling a 20mm over in the classifieds section...:eek:

The G1 (and as the G2 has the same chip...) are old tech now but at low to mid ISO settings I'm very happy with the image quality I get from my G1. These days I mostly use it for sunny / day out shooting with a manual macro lens and the image quality at ISO 100 / 200 is IMVHO stunning and stands pixel peeping at 100% :D As long as you know that the higher ISO's are crap compared to newer cameras (but useable with care and modern PP) they make good cheap cameras IMVHO. :D

PS. I agree that the 20mm f1.7 is a good buy. I took one to Thailand with my GX7 and it was the only lens I used.

Last edited:
Def would get a 20mm. Its either a G2 or a G3 as with a 20mm thats all i could afford as i would need to sell my 550D to buy one

On keeping costs down - if you can cope with manual focus which is a doddle with these cameras you could get some legacy lenses and use them via a £10 adapter.

So after trying the GF6 in a shop I don't like how it feels in the hand, much prefer the G6, not tried a G5 but after reading up I think the G6 will suit me more, the panoramic feature looks good too.

But what I would like to know what are the best lenses to get? The kit with the 14-42 or 14-42 and 45-150 kit or to buy body only and a selection of different lenses? I previoulsy had a Nikon D7000 with 16-85, 70-300 and 35mm and never really took it out due the size and bulk so looking at M4/3 as I feel the smaller size and weight will be better to take out while I am with my little girl. I mostly be taking pictures of my little girl playing and using it on holidays. Don't think I really need much in the way of telephoto length.

Here's another shot from my trip to the bird of prey centre at Sion Hall

White Tailed Sea Eagle
by srhphoto, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.
Nah, can't be with the Panasonic 100-300, everyone knows that can't produce sharp images at all. Must have been taken with a Canikon with a super exotic telephoto :D:D

Cracking shot by the way.

So after trying the GF6 in a shop I don't like how it feels in the hand, much prefer the G6, not tried a G5 but after reading up I think the G6 will suit me more, the panoramic feature looks good too.

But what I would like to know what are the best lenses to get? The kit with the 14-42 or 14-42 and 45-150 kit or to buy body only and a selection of different lenses? I previoulsy had a Nikon D7000 with 16-85, 70-300 and 35mm and never really took it out due the size and bulk so looking at M4/3 as I feel the smaller size and weight will be better to take out while I am with my little girl. I mostly be taking pictures of my little girl playing and using it on holidays. Don't think I really need much in the way of telephoto length.

Dont feel qualified enough to definitely state what the best lenses are, but after much buying, selling and rebuying of various m43 lenses over the years, I have finally settled on 12-35mm F2.8, 35-100mm f2.8 and 25mm F1.4. The lens I used most during the past years was the 20mm - but was always a little bit bothered by the facial distortions when doing a close up portrait - always found myself having to step back a bit and then crop. I recently managed to get a used 25mm for a good price and so finally sold the 20mm.

If the above F2.8 lenses are too rich for you, I have read in a several reviews and forums comments that the new 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 is a decent alternative to the 12-35mm / 35-100mm combo for a fraction of the price.

FYI - my main usage is also taking pics of my son at home and whilst out an about. The 35-100mm is mostly for videoing my son during musical performances in sub optimal light conditions...

I'm impressed with the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8. Other than that I have a 14-42mm and 50-200mm which are fine for sunny day mid aperture shooting. I prefer primes though and other than the 20 and 45mm I could be tempted by the new Olympus 25mm f1.8 (smaller and cheaper than the Panny 25mm f1.4) and maybe a 12mm could complete a prime line up of 12mm, 20 or 25mm and 45mm.

I'm impressed with the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8. Other than that I have a 14-42mm and 50-200mm which are fine for sunny day mid aperture shooting. I prefer primes though and other than the 20 and 45mm I could be tempted by the new Olympus 25mm f1.8 (smaller and cheaper than the Panny 25mm f1.4) and maybe a 12mm could complete a prime line up of 12mm, 20 or 25mm and 45mm.

Love the 45 and the new 25 looks great, very tempted. Was going to go for the PL but the Oly is smaller, looks nicer and is cheaper.

Comparison review…

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-lens-review.html

I keep being tempted to a 14mm but as I have the 20mm there isn't that much of a difference to tempt me... but if I swapped the 20mm for a 25mm there'd be room for a 14mm. Or a 12mm.

In reality though the 20mm is so nice and compact that it'd be a hard lens for me to part with as when fitted to a GX7 it's the closed thing size wise I've yet had to a film RF or quality compact. A lot heavier though.

Can the world have enough flower shots? G1 + old manual 50mm f2.8.

Last edited:
Seriously tempted to buy a Panasonic setup now.

Currently own a 550D and a 40mm pancake. I love the pancake lens! So much so i am toying with moving over to a panasonic and a 20mm 1.7. Not sure which Panasonic to go for now though after doing a little reading the G3 and G5 look nice and small which is a big factor. 20mm would be a must as i love a prime and low light capabilities. G3 or G5 are in the frame. Or even a G6 and a 20mm?

Any advice people?

Last edited:
I would go for the G5. It has some nice extra features over the G3 (eg higher iso, faster shutter speed and longer battery life) including the ability to record 1080p video

G5. I have both G3 and G5... Don't buy the G3 - ergonomically it is in the dark ages compared to the G5...

The 15mm f1.7 is now available to purchase over the counter. I had a play with one yesterday and it's really nice. Feels well made yet light and it's tiny, a thicker version of the 14mm. I'll report back when I have got mine.

Back