"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Seriously tempted to buy a Panasonic setup now.

Currently own a 550D and a 40mm pancake. I love the pancake lens! So much so i am toying with moving over to a panasonic and a 20mm 1.7. Not sure which Panasonic to go for now though after doing a little reading the G3 and G5 look nice and small which is a big factor. 20mm would be a must as i love a prime and low light capabilities. G3 or G5 are in the frame. Or even a G6 and a 20mm?

Any advice people?
G6 and 20mm...great combo. The G5 is superb also and a lot cheaper but for me I love the look of the G6. The 20mm is an amazing lens, really sharp!!!

Any GX7 users out there or other Panny users with "Constant Preview" or "Preview" selected?

As I mostly use manual lenses I've got used to seeing the image that I'm going to capture and when using AF lenses I get a bit phased that the image I see through the EVF is no longer what I'll capture as the camera and lens show me a wide open view and then stop down to take the shot. This has caught me out more than once so I thought I'd give "Constant Preview" a go and after looking at the manual I thought this would work in all modes but it doesn't seem to or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, if I enable Constant Preview I can have it in Manual Mode but no others and if I assign "Preview" to a button I can have it in Aperture Priority if I press the button. There doesn't seem to be the option of assigning Constant Preview to a button. So, I don't seem to be able to have Constant Preview in AP without assigning "Preview" to a button and I've run out of buttons as all are now assigned something.

So, despite what the manual seems to say you can't have Constant Preview in any mode other than M and you can only have Shutter Effect in AP if you assign "Preview" to a button? Have I got this right?

PS. Lovely shots Andy.

Can anyone help me out? I have a Panasonic G6 to use as a video camera and also for family outings. I usually take photos in aperture priority on my Nikon's and have autoISO set up. But on the G6 it seems that it wants to use a shutter speed of 1/60 which is often too slow for the kids. Can this be adjusted? I can't seem to find anywhere.

Thanks

Can anyone help me out? I have a Panasonic G6 to use as a video camera and also for family outings. I usually take photos in aperture priority on my Nikon's and have autoISO set up. But on the G6 it seems that it wants to use a shutter speed of 1/60 which is often too slow for the kids. Can this be adjusted? I can't seem to find anywhere.

Thanks
1/60th sounds like you are using flash fill or something.... Also look at what the maximum auto ISO is on the menus (I think the G6 supports this - my GH3 does and I think the G5 does too).

Thanks

Yup. My G1 and GX7 do the same. I've just tried my GX7 and at f1.7 and 1/60 it was at ISO 1600. Annoying isn't it? I don't think there's any way of selecting a minimum shutter speed in Aperture priority so the thing to do is to switch to Shutter Priority and dial in something more sensible than 1/60. When I dialled in 1/125 my ISO then rose to 5000.

So, that's the answer. Switch to Shutter Priority and set your own shutter speed and aperture and let the auto ISO float to suit.

Put the trusty old Tamron 80-210 on the G3 for some shots of the swallow fledglings opposite my kitchen.

One at a time... by Farmejim, on Flickr

My question is this, I would have done better using a wired remote, I've got an intervalometer which I used for the m4/3 olly but the plug's different on the G3, it's a 2.5 4 pole jack. I can get a 2.5 to 2.5 jack for about £2 but I read that some of the leads have resistors built in to the leads, does anyone know why or if I'm likely to blow anything if I try a cheap "muckle up"? Thanks.

Hi all,

just bought a GM1 to go alongside my em5. Have been playing around with the wifi function.

One problem i have come across is that since i am mostly shoot raw, i cannot transfer raw pictures to a smartphone. Can i create a jpeg version from a raw in camera that i can then send via wifi to a smartphone / tablet?

Also, what have you set your your quick menu items to, and what have you set your fn buttons to?

Cheers

Hi all,

just bought a GM1 to go alongside my em5. Have been playing around with the wifi function.

One problem i have come across is that since i am mostly shoot raw, i cannot transfer raw pictures to a smartphone. Can i create a jpeg version from a raw in camera that i can then send via wifi to a smartphone / tablet?

Also, what have you set your your quick menu items to, and what have you set your fn buttons to?

Cheers
If you shoot RAW + JPG , Phil, you'll end up with a JPG version of the RAW shot which you'll be able to send to the smart phone.
Fn1 on my G3 isn't set to anything at the 'mo I tend to use the Fn2 quick menu most of the time.

Hi Jim, i was hoping i could shoot raw only to save space (i am going on hols for 2 weeks tomorrow), and convert the photos i want uploaded in camera. is this not possible?

Pretty damn sharp too Nog.

Hi Jim, i was hoping i could shoot raw only to save space (i am going on hols for 2 weeks tomorrow), and convert the photos i want uploaded in camera. is this not possible?
Sorry Phil, I'm pretty sure there's no "in camera" RAW convertion option on any Panny gear at the mo'. You'll have to get a Fuji :) (or get another card.)

Hello all - I'm toying with buying a Panasonic - has anyone used the G6 and GX7 ? Do they produce similar quality images ?

Thanks

Hello all - I'm toying with buying a Panasonic - has anyone used the G6 and GX7 ? Do they produce similar quality images ?

Thanks

The GX7 has a later generation sensor - it has lower noise at high ISO settings (maybe 1/2 to 1 stop) and has considerably better dynamic range. Not that the G6 is bad, by any means...

G6 and 20mm...great combo. The G5 is superb also and a lot cheaper but for me I love the look of the G6. The 20mm is an amazing lens, really sharp!!!

A bit off thread but I saw in the classified section that you tried an em5. How did it compare with the g6? I've had my g6 for a year and although there is lots to really like I have a nagging feeling that it's missing something. Thanks

A bit off thread but I saw in the classified section that you tried an em5. How did it compare with the g6? I've had my g6 for a year and although there is lots to really like I have a nagging feeling that it's missing something. Thanks
Hm well I have just sold the E-M5....Buttons are too small and fidly for me. It is better than the G6 for IQ if just slightly and the 5 axis IBIS is amazing but I'm getting a bit board with M4/3 (as good as it is) and hanker after better IQ. If I had to chose between the G6 and E-M5 then despite the tiny buttons (not good for my chubby fingers!) I would go for the E-M5, It's VERY good.

Hm well I have just sold the E-M5....Buttons are too small and fidly for me. It is better than the G6 for IQ if just slightly and the 5 axis IBIS is amazing but I'm getting a bit board with M4/3 (as good as it is) and hanker after better IQ. If I had to chose between the G6 and E-M5 then despite the tiny buttons (not good for my chubby fingers!) I would go for the E-M5, It's VERY good.

Back to DSLR then Andy?

Back to DSLR then Andy?
Hi Alan

Well......yeah actually. I have had a 60D and 24mm f2.8IS for a while now and it's not too heavy with that lens and I love the way everything works. The live EVF, excellent IQ, Quick, Fits nice in my hand etc etc. I had that and the E-M5 plus GX1 on holiday and after looking at all the images the 60D IQ is better at a pixel peeping level. Well it is to me anyway. The RAW files do have more movement when it comes to PPing but the M4/3 does a damn good job i must say. I have enjoyed the M4/3 system but am board with it now after 6 or so years and am ready to move on. I will keep my GF1 and 20mm f1.7 as there is something special about that combo.

I don't know whether to get another 6D (love the results from my last one) or try the Sony A7. Trouble with the Sony is that there are no lenses that I want to use with it. The closest is the 35mm f2.8 but its f2.8...what's the point!! So sensible hat may go for the 6D......or something completely different. :D

I am drawn to the D610, A7 (but not interested in legacy glass so would probably only buy the 55mm) or the 6D as well as the EM-1.

I too am considering the fact that I have the GX1 and 14/20mm primes which would be kept but then getting back to a DSLR for everything else.

The main thing I like about DSLR's is the comfort in the hand. I find M4/3 too small for my ape like chubby mitts!!! The 6D is light and there are plenty of light lenses for Canon so it's a great compromise for me. If I had no Canon DSLR already I would probably go for the D610 as that is a superb DSLR!!

The main thing I like about DSLR's is the comfort in the hand. I find M4/3 too small for my ape like chubby mitts!!! The 6D is light and there are plenty of light lenses for Canon so it's a great compromise for me. If I had no Canon DSLR already I would probably go for the D610 as that is a superb DSLR!!

I really enjoyed taking some shots of my Golf a week or so ago with the 5D2 and 24-105 - not a huge pro body by any means but clearly bigger than m43 stuff - have I died ? Nope. M43 clearly has it's place and I was an early adopter as you were, but maybe, just maybe DSLRs also still have their place too.

They all have their place, it just depends on if it suites you or not.

...Sony A7. Trouble with the Sony is that there are no lenses that I want to use with it. The closest is the 35mm f2.8 but its f2.8...what's the point!! So sensible hat may go for the 6D......or something completely different. :D

Would you want a wider aperture 35mm lens? I suppose for you the answer is "yes" but I think it's a question that's worth thinking about.

If you need a wide aperture for low light use maybe the stratospheric ISO's modern cameras have negate the need a little and if they do that leaves shallow DoF and personally for me a wider lens is rarely for shallow DoF as I'll get that from the likes of 50 and 85mm lenses and if I think I'll need wider than f2.8 I'll remind myself that for most of my photographic life I've been fighting for more DoF not less.

I haven't bought any AF primes for my A7 yet as I don't really like FBW lenses but for me f2.8 for a 35mm lens on FF is probably enough especially if it means I get a more compact and lighter lens. I do own a 35mm f1.8 but I used that on MFT and haven't used it on my A7 yet. Thinking about it, I can't remember wanting to shoot at f1.4/1.8 with a FF camera and a lens wider than 50mm all that often other than to keep the ISO down and I think that's less of an issue these days.

Thanks for that. I am tempted for the IBIS and IQ and especially as the depreciation has been huge on them and the cost is now quite low. I'll keep an eye out on the classifieds.

I know what you mean about the DSLR thing. I have a couple of mates who shoot nikon FF and the IQ just looks great. They do weigh and cost a ton though :)

Interesting that you say the small buttons are annoying as that is what I have found. I went from a D7000 to G6 and am thinking of a GH3/4 for the better ergonomics. Not ready to go FF as I think the glass is too heavy and for me at the moment the IQ of the recent crop M43 is good enough. I often feel the small size of M43 is not all it is cracked up to be.

Would you want a wider aperture 35mm lens? I suppose for you the answer is "yes" but I think it's a question that's worth thinking about.

One of the main things I love about FF is the very shallow DOF you get at f/1.4. I had the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 on a 6D and the DOF was superb. The A7 would be great if there were the native lenses to use but at the moment for me there are none. The body would be ideal and I like the images created from the Sony. I used to do a lot of MF in the day and not sure I would want to go back as I would only want the very best lenses to get the best IQ. Maybe worth looking into. At least there would be a plethora of lenses to choose from. Also there is brilliant focus peeking and the Metabones adapter which I have used with Canon lenses and it works quite well!! Hmm

The only lenses I have for the canon are the 24mm f2.8 IS and the Samyang 14mm f2.8. I also have a Konica 40mm f1.8 which is good and a helios 44/2 58mm f2 which is pretty awesome! That would do me for now and may get the 2.8/35 for now. The Samyang would be awesome on it!!

What lenses do you use?

Last edited:
Interesting that you say the small buttons are annoying as that is what I have found. I went from a D7000 to G6 and am thinking of a GH3/4 for the better ergonomics. Not ready to go FF as I think the glass is too heavy and for me at the moment the IQ of the recent crop M43 is good enough. I often feel the small size of M43 is not all it is cracked up to be.

I'm likely to head towards the D7000 or similar very soon :)

I often feel the small size of M43 is not all it is cracked up to be.
Which is why I have a gripped GH3... The massive savings in lens size/weight is the primary reason I went with the system. I started with the 12-35 and 35-100 though - I wouldn't have bought into the system if there hadn't been any decent lenses available.

I bypassed Olympus cameras as I don't care how good the images are (and I think people over emphasise a slight advantage they have over the Panny cameras of old) I can't physically use one as they are too small (not tried the E-M1 yet).

Any particular reason Simon - are you giving up M43 or just adding to your camera collection.

I'm not leaving m4/3 altogether, but I am slimming down what I have considerably to fund a DSLR. I'll keep my G6 to use with my legacy lenses - I have a real emotional attachment to that camera :).

The main reason is to get a system again with reliable focus tracking. I have a 2 year old son who is never still, and the m4/3 cameras I have just can't keep up. I've yet to be convinced that the EM1 or GH4 are as reliable yet as traditional PDAF systems at tracking erratic movement particularly coming towards the camera, and if I'm going to spend north of £1K on such a body, I figure I might as well go back to a DSLR. I have other reasons, but they're the main ones.

Simon.

The only lenses I have for the canon are the 24mm f2.8 IS and the Samyang 14mm f2.8. I also have a Konica 40mm f1.8 which is good and a helios 44/2 58mm f2 which is pretty awesome! That would do me for now and may get the 2.8/35 for now. The Samyang would be awesome on it!!

What lenses do you use?

Manual focus, in order of % use... 50, 85 and 28mm. I also have 24, 35 and 135's which don't see much use.

I also have the 28-70mm but haven't used it other than for test shots when I first got it but I've been thinking that it together with maybe the 50 and 85mm primes are all I really need :D

Last edited:
Manual focus, in order of % use... 50, 85 and 28mm. I also have 24, 35 and 135's which don't see much use.

I also have the 28-70mm but haven't used it other than for test shots when I first got it but I've been thinking that it together with maybe the 50 and 85mm primes are all I really need :D
Thanks Alan.

I have much to think about....still!!!

Back