"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Looking for a cheap telephoto for my new GX7, have seen the Olympus 40-150 pop up occasionally 2nd hand for 90 quid, a lot cheaper than the pana 45-150- but has anyone used the Olympus on the GX7? Does the ibis work effectively at 150mm?

Seem to have bought a GX7, much as I love the Fuji XT1 it is still a bit of a lump to carry around with the 18-55. Only played with the GX7 for a few mins but the focus peaking is much better than on XT1 IMO.

Seem to have bought a GX7, much as I love the Fuji XT1 it is still a bit of a lump to carry around with the 18-55. Only played with the GX7 for a few mins but the focus peaking is much better than on XT1 IMO.

I hope you enjoy your GX7.

What I've wanted for a long time is digital replacements for the 35mm SLR's and RF's/quality compacts of the film era and for the first time I have them :D

My GX7 replaces my film RF's/quality compacts and is fitted with a 20mm f1.7 and I take it out when I want a quality compact package and my A7 plus old primes replaces my 35mm SLR's and is my luxury kit :D I also have a G1 which is pretty much permanently fitted with a 50mm macro :D

How do people find the EVF's is it something you get used to over time? Need to try out a g6 properly. All the ones in currys are chained down :(

Coming from an entry level DSLR (Sony A330) with a basic optical viewfinder, the EVF on my GX7 is a revelation: clear, detailed, and much easier to read with glasses. And being able to see the same info as on the back LCD is fantastic, including reviewing shots in bright sunlight without taking my eye away. The ability to move the focus point via touching the back screen whilst looking through the EVF is the icing on the cake :) so glad I stuck to my guns and got a CSC with a viewfinder, despite the extra cost compared to other rangefinder style bodies.

How do people find the EVF's is it something you get used to over time? Need to try out a g6 properly. All the ones in currys are chained down :(

The only issues I have are with older EVF's. The one on my G1 kicks out a blinding amount of light which makes it unusable in very low light plus in very low light it goes black... yet still kicking out blinding light. Quite a trick really :( The EVF's of my A7 and GX7 are as good as any optical finder and WYSIWYG is wonderful.

Oops.

May of just reserved a GX7 14-42mm for £599, inc free spare battery and still eligible for the free lens promo.

So happy I can get what I want (although it's a bit overkill at the moment, :/ ) for a good price after a year of saving up.

I got mine on the last promo, got the 20mm f1.7 kit and got the 12-32 pancake free, but paid 779 for that. Hoping to get a telephoto for Xmas, can't decide if it's worth paying the extra for the Panasonic 45-150 over the Olympus 40-150.

Hi all, one of my cameras is a lumix g3, I have recently acquired a Yashika with a contax planar t 50mm on it. I believe this is a pretty good lens? My question is has anyone used one of these on a g3 with an adaptor and if so what are the results like? Thanks.

Over the weekend I have decided to make the switch. Have ordered myself a G6, wouldn't of minded a GX7 but a little out of my budget right now. Trading in my D7000 and lenses and looking forwards to something weighing about a 1/3rd of the weight to carry around instead. The more I used the EVF in the shop the more I got use to it, plus having the fold out screen is a nice touch.

Going to claim my free 45-150 zoom as well.

Ian, I have the GX7 (as well as the OMD-Em1 and GH3), and they are all superb cameras. I still have my Nikon FF cameras (for now), but sold off all my DX cameras (D7100 and D300s), and don't miss them for one minute.

I recently got back from 2 weeks in Crete and took the EM1 and GX7 along with 4 lenses (12-40 F2.8 pro, 35-100 F2.8, 60mm F2.8 Macro and 20mm F1.7 II), and the 1000 or so images I took looks absolutely stunning and every bit as good (if not better) than my DX equipment. Coupled with that carrying around a camera/lens combo weighing only 1kg compared with about 2kg for DX (or even more for FX), was an absolute joy and even in the sweltering 39°C heat of Santorini, the weight and size of the camera never became a burden.

I'll be very surprised if you don't love it !

Ian, enjoy your g6! And Sootchucker I know what you mean; yesterday I had the weird and pleasant experience of forgetting I had my camera kit on me at all! Admittedly I only have two pancake lenses and a gx7 (no pro zooms) but compared to my old Sony APS-C DSLR kit its worlds apart :)

That's what I am looking forwards to the most the lack of weight to carry about. Will be so nice specially as most places we go on holiday tend to be mid 30s plus temp wise.

From what I can find looking on places like Flickr the image quality looks no different to me.

What's the best lens to be looking at? I am after walkabout lens really. Prefer the convince of a zoom over a prime. Is the kit 14-42 ok or would I be better with the 14-45 or 14-140?

What's the best lens to be looking at? I am after walkabout lens really. Prefer the convince of a zoom over a prime. Is the kit 14-42 ok or would I be better with the 14-45 or 14-140?

12-35 or 12-40 are the best walkabout lenses for m43

But if by best you mean cheapest then 14-42 or 12-32 are a reasonable start. Both sharp enough but not very fast.

Last edited:
Of your choices I'd go 14-140 then 14-45 then finally 14-42. The first two are fine for walk about

12-35 or 12-40 are the best walkabout lenses for m43

But if by best you mean cheapest then 14-42 or 12-32 are a reasonable start. Both sharp enough but not very fast.

I'd love one of the f2.8 lenses but a bit out of my budget range currently. Think I will end up with the 14-42 kit lens and get the free 45-150 lens.

Of your choices I'd go 14-140 then 14-45 then finally 14-42. The first two are fine for walk about

Had a look at the 14-140 and it seems quite expensive lens but very handy range though would save swapping lenses over.

The 14-45 was the original lens they made when panasonic first launched m4/3 so they made the kit lens a good one. It is sharper than the 14-42. Not sure if there are many about to pick up?

I found a couple used ones for sale. Only problem is if i buy a body only G6 i don't get the free 45-150 lens.

In order for a standard focal length zoom from the main choices, I would go with the Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 or Olympus 12-40 F2.8, both of which are stellar - but pricey. Obviously the Panny lens has OIS, whereas the Olympus doesn't (but the Olympus is a fantastically sharp and contrasty lens at all apertures and FL's).

Secondly, I'd opt for the 14-140 II (latest version). It's light, small, and apparently has better IQ over the older and heavier F5.8 lens (although I've never owned that lens, but the new version optically is really rather good) and has a great equivalent range of 28-280mm. I've used this on all my M43 bodies (EM1, GH3 and GX7) and find it an excellent walkabout lens with the only downside being the relatively slow maximum aperture. Then again its no worse than most kit lenses. I also have the 14-42 II kit lens that came with the GX7, and whilst it's not bad, in my opinion it's no better than the 14-140 but gives up a lot of reach (however is a bit smaller and lighter - not that the 14-140 is heavy - it's featherweight !).

Lastly, don't forget Panasonic's new 12-32 collapsible Pancake zoom. This really is a feat of engineering and is only about as big in it's folded position as a 20mm F1.7 prime. It's tiny, but incorporates OIS, and is really very good. Just a tiny bit soft in the corners at 12mm (nothing to be too worried about), but sharpens up nicely by about 14-15mm. In the centre the image is razor sharp at all apertures and focal lengths and is a very contrasty lens. About the only downside (for some) is the lack of a manual focusing ring (it's by wire so has to have a Panasonic body to manual focus), and at 32mm (64mm equivalent) , it's a tad shorter on the long end that other standard lenses, although I'd be surprised if the difference between 64mm and 80mm is that great.

I have all the above lenses (except the Panny 12-35 F2.8) - yes I know I have too many, and I think you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
The 12-32 lens is my only zoom currently and I haven't used any of the alternatives discussed here as I'm new to m4/3; however I just wanted to chip in and echo Sootchucker- it's an excellent lens. Sharp and contrasty ( better compared to my old 18-55 Sony DSLR kit lens ) and it's smaller than the 20mm f1.7 prime when collapsed. The collapsing/extending is foolproof by the way, just turn the zoom ring and it pops out, no need to release a latch or wait for a motorised zoom. It's amazing they managed to get OIS in there too, it works well too, including during video. Having the 12mm end is great too, I read somewhere it's the most affordable way to get that focal length on m4/3. It's wider than the 18mm on my old APS-C DSLR too.

Having said that, you may not get such a benefit of the small size with the G6 as I do with the GX7, and it's not cheap to buy separately (£275-300) compared to the 14-42/45 zooms. I was lucky enough to get my 12-32 free on a Panasonic promotion on the gx7. I have heard of people picking up a GM1 kit in order to get this lens, and either keeping the GM1 body as a ultra compact backup, or selling it on to recoup some cost. Not a bad idea considering the GM1 kit with 12-32 is £449 (after Panasonic cash back) and you get a free leather case too.

I read on a rumour site that a new MFT camera is expected to be announced soon.

I wonder what it could be???? :D

Personally I'm hoping for a new Panasonic Gx series with competitive top end image quality, a top end EVF and a fully articulated rear screen. If one of these does come out I'd be very tempted.

What's tempting me at the moment is the GX7 & 20mm lens for £539 @ Digital Rev....

What's tempting me at the moment is the GX7 & 20mm lens for £539 @ Digital Rev....

That's where I got mine, can't remember how much I paid but at the time I thought it was a very good price. It was a good deal for me to sell my existing 20mm and go for the GX7+20mm deal.

Stop it you two....

Just bought me a few toys. Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro, Kenko Extension tubes for M4/3 and a Metz Mecalight LED panel.

Had a quick play last night just to see what it could do and......

Bic Biro Macro by andywest1, on Flickr

I'm more than happy with that!! Bring on the spiders!!:D

I wonder if anybody can help - I recently bought a second-hand GF1 from MPB and I have been very impressed. I picked it up today, switched on and everything has a blue cast. The only time everything looks ok i.e. normal is when I go to iA (intelligent AUTO). I have checked all the settings but I am at a complete loss.

Can anybody offer advice / suggestions?

Thanks Glenn. That was my first thought but I could not alter it. Somehow "Direct area auto-focus" had moved to "on" which disabled ISO and White Balance..

Now sorted and many thanks for your help.

I wonder if anybody can help - I recently bought a second-hand GF1 from MPB and I have been very impressed. I picked it up today, switched on and everything has a blue cast. The only time everything looks ok i.e. normal is when I go to iA (intelligent AUTO). I have checked all the settings but I am at a complete loss.

Can anybody offer advice / suggestions?
Factory reset (think it's in the menu items somewhere). Sounds like a white balance issue (as Glenn has said....)

Apologies, I perhaps did not make myself clear. Yes it was a white balance issue. I normally use AWB. The setting had moved and Direct Auto-focus was on which meant I could not check White Balance. Once that was turned off I checked WB and found it had moved. Returned to AWB and now all ok.

Thanks for help and replies.

Just bought me a few toys. Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro, Kenko Extension tubes for M4/3 and a Metz Mecalight LED panel.

Had a quick play last night just to see what it could do and......

Bic Biro Macro by andywest1, on Flickr

I'm more than happy with that!! Bring on the spiders!!:D

How much extension did you use on that and what sort of crop Andy? Nice and sharp, the oly 60mm is impressive.

How much extension did you use on that and what sort of crop Andy? Nice and sharp, the oly 60mm is impressive.
Thanks

I used the Kenko set for M4/3 and they are 16mm and 10mm. I used both. There is zero cropping in that image!!!

Back