"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I often impressed with my G1 but maybe I'm easily pleased :D

100% crop from a shot with an old cheap Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

Damn. Whenever I post anything here via photobucket it never looks as sharp as on my screen. Oh well, if you'll take my word for it this little flower shot looks lovely as a whole image and looks very sharp at 100% too :D

Last edited:
has anyone here used an independant charger for batteries? My dad has given my daughter his g3 but has lost the charger. Nice vibrant colours there Alan, I always had that problem with photobucket, so swapped to flickr.

Hmmm. Flicker eh?

Battery chargers - Yes. I have a no name travel charger and it's never let me down and hasn't blown up yet :D Just do a search and get one off the internet site of your choice. I'd go ebay or Amazon.

Thinking of buying a GX7, What would the best panasonic lens combo to replace my present Nikon D5100 and Sigma 17-70mmf2.8 macro. I also have a 35mm f1.8 prime. I am getting a bit fed up of the weight of my DSLR gear.
Do Olympus 4/3rds lenses work in full auto mode on the Panasonic, only asking as you seem to have a larger choice of lens if you don't mind mix n match.
My main interest is macro, stills and decent holiday photos.
Just missed out on the recent panasonic lens offers, wonder what the chances of repeat offers are?

Last edited:
Looking for a cheap telephoto for my new GX7, have seen the Olympus 40-150 pop up occasionally 2nd hand for 90 quid, a lot cheaper than the pana 45-150- but has anyone used the Olympus on the GX7? Does the ibis work effectively at 150mm?

When did you buy your GX7 as Panasonic are giving their 45-150 away free at the moment, if you bought it in the last couple of months you might find you still qualify.

I just got mine in the post and its a cracking lens, much better than the Olympus 40-150, but then again the Olympus costs about half the Panasonic so you should expect it to be better ;)

Paul

Here is the link, I see there is 19 days left to run to be quick if you do qualify. http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/lumix-gx7-and-g6-free-lens/

Thinking of buying a GX7, What would the best panasonic lens combo to replace my present Nikon D5100 and Sigma 17-70mmf2.8 macro.
Panny 12-35. Or Oly 12-40 - although you will give up a bit of reach at the long end.

Panny generally come around with offers every now and again. GX7 is likely to be replaced fairly soon which means you'll be on the next camera before offers come around.

Thinking of buying a GX7, What would the best panasonic lens combo to replace my present Nikon D5100 and Sigma 17-70mmf2.8 macro. I also have a 35mm f1.8 prime. I am getting a bit fed up of the weight of my DSLR gear.
Do Olympus 4/3rds lenses work in full auto mode on the Panasonic, only asking as you seem to have a larger choice of lens if you don't mind mix n match.
Just missed out on the recent panasonic lens offers, wonder what the chances of repeat offers are?

If you don't mine 2nd hand,some good bargains about on the GX-7 :)

I just rang my local camera shop and asked them if they had the GX7 in stock. They said they only had 2 left and can't get anymore as Panasonic has stopped production of them. I am now unsure whether to get one now as there will probably soon be a lot going 2nd hand.

I too am in a similar position, having just sold the E-M1 I now find myself looking for a replacement/companion for my gx1 - gx7 soon to be unavailable, gm1 likely to be replaced/joined by a gm5 if rumours are true.

I just rang my local camera shop and asked them if they had the GX7 in stock. They said they only had 2 left and can't get anymore as Panasonic has stopped production of them. I am now unsure whether to get one now as there will probably soon be a lot going 2nd hand.

I rather suspect the camera shop is just trying to persuade you to buy a GX7. If Panasonic has stopped production of the GX7, I'll eat my camera bag :)
  • They haven't announced a replacement
  • Even if they had announced a replacement, it wouldn't arrive for many months
  • Even if the replacement was here already, Panasonic generally continue to sell the old model for some time afterwards

The panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 is an absolutely beautiful lens with is aswell. 35mm equivalent is 24-70

I rather suspect the camera shop is just trying to persuade you to buy a GX7. If Panasonic has stopped production of the GX7, I'll eat my camera bag :)
  • They haven't announced a replacement
  • Even if they had announced a replacement, it wouldn't arrive for many months
  • Even if the replacement was here already, Panasonic generally continue to sell the old model for some time afterwards
I did find somewhere on the net - I can't remember where - that Panasonic were discontinuing the GX series - and that no replacement upgrade would be forthcoming. Anyway I did decide to buy the GX7 as from what I could see it ticked all the things I wanted. My local camera shop wouldn't match the price online, and were very offhand when I asked, even though they also sell online and offer free delivery.I was prepared to travel 25 miles to their shop to collect it so I have ordered instead from a reputable camera shop on the net, who sold at the price I wanted and gave me free delivery.

Already got rid of my Nikon gear,all ccs now Panasonic & Fuji :)
Will think on that one as well, to reduce the initial cost, especially my 35mm f1.8 and sigma 17-70mm, the later I use most of the time, it would be interesting to see how it performs on a GX7

Can anyone recommend a decent flash gun for the GX7, without having to sell a limb or kidney to purchase one?

Can anyone recommend a decent flash gun for the GX7, without having to sell a limb or kidney to purchase one?
I used a Olympus fl36 on my old Panasonic's. Very good little flash that can be had on eBay for around £60/70.

Welcome to the Join the GX7 club Alan. The EM1 is great by the way, but I'm still torn between that the GX7 and the GH3.

I used a Olympus fl36 on my old Panasonic's. Very good little flash that can be had on eBay for around £60/70.
Thanks Matt,will have a gander.

I've just received a Panasonic 14mm f2.5 I bought from the classifieds here and I'm quite impressed with it. It's very small and light and seems to give sharp images and the only problem I can see is a little vingnetting which is well within the bounds of correctability.

I've had a MFT since the GF1 first came out and I now have a G1 and a GX7 and my little lens line up now consists of 14-42mm, 45-200mm, 14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7, 25mm and 45mm f1.8. All except the 20mm f1.7 have been bought used from forums, mostly here. The only things I can think of to add are a macro, but I probably wont as I'm happy to use a legacy lens, and other than that constant aperture zooms could replace the humble variable aperture ones. I'm just not a fan of FBW though.

So with the addition of the 14mm my little MFT line up is pretty complete :D but sadly that means I can't think of much else to buy :(

Last edited:
Yes but personally I'm not a big user of longer lenses, I maybe only use one a time or two a year.

The lens and camera line up does seem to be coming along very nicely and in fact the only thing that I think is missing at the moment is a Gx style camera (DSLR style like my G1 but below the GH4) with the latest chip and EVF.

Panasonic seem to be getting it together with their body lineups. I think I'm right that every m4/3 has a viewfinder and decent sensor and they appear to be learning where to put the buttons too. Have to say the LX100 looks a nice piece of kit too...

Panasonic seem to be getting it together with their body lineups. I think I'm right that every m4/3 has a viewfinder and decent sensor and they appear to be learning where to put the buttons too. Have to say the LX100 looks a nice piece of kit too...

The GM1 is still in the range and doesn't have a viewfinder. It absolutely deserves to still be there, though, IMHO :) The G6 has a previous generation sensor, and I'd love to see a G7 with the latest sensor and the DFD focus system from the GH4.

Yes but personally I'm not a big user of longer lenses, I maybe only use one a time or two a year.
Me too, which is why the LX100 is looking so appealing. Have Panasonic accidentally killed MFT?

Me too, which is why the LX100 is looking so appealing. Have Panasonic accidentally killed MFT?
No, they've just built a micro 4/3rds sensored Fuji X100S....

It looks a nice camera but is the lens a power zoom? I've only ever tried one of those, on a Nex 6, and I thought it was pretty much uncontrollable. Maybe I just needed more time with it, I don't know but I am someone with usually very good motor control and hand eye coordination but I just couldn't get the framing I wanted using the zoom and if I owned one which behaved like that I think I'd just use it in two positions, max wide or max zoom.

If the LX100 does have a power zoom I hope it's better than that Sony one.

Back