"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I think it may be a power zoom, which is quite disappointing. So close, Panny, so close...

No, they've just built a micro 4/3rds sensored Fuji X100S....
The X100 is a fixed focal length, isn't it? A completely different beast.
I'm sure there are many MFT users who need the variety of interchangeable lenses - but I'm also pretty sure that there's a load of us using a fast 'normal' zoom or 'normal' primes for 95% of our shots who would be well served by the LX100.

The X100 is a fixed focal length, isn't it? A completely different beast.
Yeah - fixed focal length - probably should have said X100S with zoom lens to be more precise but I don't think it is a different beast. They really are very similar IMHO and the LX100 appears to me to be closer to the X100S than it is to a non-interchangeable lens micro 4/3rds. Things not normally on micro 4/3rds but on both LX100 and X100S (notice a similarity in names too!) include fast aperture lens aperture ring, shutter speed and exposure compensation from dials on the top, leaf shutter - it's just missing a combined optical/electronic viewfinder and inbuilt ND filter. It looks to be aimed at a similar market too - those after an all-in-one retro style camera (if the GX7/20mm I've just bought hadn't been at the right price, I'd still be looking at an X100S....).

The GM1 is still in the range and doesn't have a viewfinder.
The GM5 effectively replaces it. Just like the GH3 wasn't discontinued (and you can still buy it) when the GH4 came out, the GH5 will probably effectively replace both the GM1 and GX7 over the next 2-4 months (i.e. you'll still be able to buy them, but nearly all sales will be on the new models).

My GX7 came today (couriers :( ) and initial impressions are very positive....

• I like having the EVF on the side - my big rubbery nose isn't smearing on the LCD screen
  • The build feels very solid
  • The grip is much improved over the virtually non-existent GX1 grip
  • Still nice and small with a pancake lens like the GX1
  • 1/8000 shutter for wide open fast primes in daylight
Charging the battery now so will be back with some info after I've actually turned it on and taken a picture (y)

I have just ordered myself a GX7 with the 20mm f/1.7 lens. Had the Canon G12 to go with a Nikon D7100. The lens on the G12 got scratched and has now become my good lady's camera as she loves using it in auto mode.
I have had an Olympus Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 lens sitting in a cupboard for a while now and wondered if this would be ok on the GX7?.

I have just ordered myself a GX7 with the 20mm f/1.7 lens. Had the Canon G12 to go with a Nikon D7100. The lens on the G12 got scratched and has now become my good lady's camera as she loves using it in auto mode.
I have had an Olympus Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 lens sitting in a cupboard for a while now and wondered if this would be ok on the GX7?.

If it's a four thirds or crusty old manual focus lens you will need an adapter - however if it's a micro four thirds lens all Panasonic and Olympus lenses and bodies are interchangeable.

Last edited:
There are a few people on here that indulge in the 'adapted lenses' route. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am not one of them.

I use auto focus all the time (y)

I would suggest looking on mu43 as it has a healthy following and is dedicated to everything micro four thirds.

Last edited:
Further thoughts about my new GX7...

• The grip is nice but makes the camera quite a bit more bulky than the GX1
  • Ditto the EVF that sticks out
  • Further testing sees that there is nowhere to naturally rest your thumb on the rear of the camera - the thumb generally rests over the rear dial which makes it difficult to grip.
  • The ergonomics of the grip and placement of the shutter button force your hand into a claw like position.
  • Noise is fairly well controlled but starts to get a bit mushy at 1600.
On the positive side...
  • I am right eye dominant so my eye at the EVF means my nose doesn't squish into the LCD.
  • Panasonic menus are typically pleasant to navigate.
Will be back with more...

I sometimes feel the same way. The RX100 is seriously good. I have been looking at loads of images from them on Flickr and downloading full size files to play with. Considering it's so tiny it is one hell of an amazing camera! I will get one sooner or later depending on how much Sony gear I can sell at work!

Sometimes having a system camera is just a pain!

Further thoughts about my new GX7...

• The grip is nice but makes the camera quite a bit more bulky than the GX1
  • Ditto the EVF that sticks out
  • Further testing sees that there is nowhere to naturally rest your thumb on the rear of the camera - the thumb generally rests over the rear dial which makes it difficult to grip.
  • The ergonomics of the grip and placement of the shutter button force your hand into a claw like position.
  • Noise is fairly well controlled but starts to get a bit mushy at 1600.
On the positive side...
  • I am right eye dominant so my eye at the EVF means my nose doesn't squish into the LCD.
  • Panasonic menus are typically pleasant to navigate.
Will be back with more...

Thanks for this Alan. This is the sort of stuff reviews don't tell you! Due to Lupus/RA claw like hands are all too familiar on bad days, so I'm not sure I would like to be forced into that sort of position, and I don't like the sound of the lack of a natural thumb rest.
I do like the idea of a non nose and LCD clash, but unfortunately, due to a problem with Sjogrens, my left eye gives me a less blurry view when out and about so the off centred view finder won't help me!
Overall then, I don't think the GX7 is for me, so I will stick with my E-M1, keeping everything crossed that it won't need any more holidays to Portugal!
Once again thank you Alan. I do appreciate you taking time to review this.

If I'm honest I'm well and truly fed up with the whole thing Andy!

Seriously considering selling everything and buying an RX100 posh compact.

I'm in the same place myself. Since getting the XF1 my E-M5 has barely left the house (despite having just bought a 12-40/2.8 for it). I'm this close to selling it all off and getting a premium compact - either an RX100 or an LX100, most likely.

One thing that worries me about premium compacts and bodies with fixed lenses is the possibility of dust bunnies and if afflicted how do you clean it?

This may be an irrational fear as I haven't had a dust bunny on either my LX2 or 5 but... I do worry about the implications. I've been looking lustfully at the LX100 but this and the other premium offerings are relatively expensive cameras with no easy means of cleaning the sensor. Granted it should be sealed but in reality I'd imagine that bunnies are still a possibility. Maybe a remote possibility. But...

Maybe a GM5 + 20mm would be a better if less flexible bet? Just something to think about.

Last edited:
If I did that, I'd convince myself to keep the 45mm too. And then also a zoom...

I've also never had a dust problem with any camera, interchangeable lens or not. Which is tempting fate isn't it?...

Also, I found the 20mm annoyingly slow to focus at times. I wouldn't want to be stuck with it forever.

Besides, if you're only packing a single normal prime, you're negating most of the benefits of a smaller sensor and may as well get an XPro1 or one of those Sigma thingies (can't remember the name as it doesn't have an X in it).

Last edited:
It's only the last few years with MFT and also now with the Sony A7 that I regularly take more than one lens out, normally I take 28 and 50 and maybe a 85mm too (or equivalents) and I do swap and change. When I had Canon DSLR's there were only a few occasions a year when I took multiple lenses out due to the hassle of the additional bulk and weight. I used to mostly just take the lens I wanted to use or thought most appropriate. Whenever I've gone abroad with an interchangeable lens camera the bulk and weight thing has been even more forward in my mind and I've only ever used one lens although I did take two lenses earlier this year but I only ended up using the one.

A LX100 + a body with a fast prime would cover just about everything for me but better than my LX5 + MFT body do. I'd probably use the LX100 mostly with the other camera and 20mm f1.7 (or something else) seeing use when the wider aperture was needed, maybe for low light shots. This two body approach is what I've done in recent years in Belgium and Kazakhstan.

I don't know if the dust bunny thing will stop me getting a LX100, I'll have to think. My worry is that if spending £600-800 on a fixed lens camera I'm going to be a lot more annoyed if I run into contamination issues than I would be if I'd just spent a couple of hundred.

Last edited:
Interesting top dial layout... Im quite looking forward to trying it but as with most panasonics the price will drop fast so i think ill wait a little.

fuji_xt1_top-108264_3.jpg

lx100-top.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, looks good. I'll have to try before I buy as I want to convince myself that I can live with that power zoom as although my experience is admittedly limited I've yet to use one that wasn't total rubbish.

Yes, looks good. I'll have to try before I buy as I want to convince myself that I can live with that power zoom as although my experience is admittedly limited I've yet to use one that wasn't total rubbish.

Oh no, didnt think it was a PZ. How disappointing.

Suppose it depends on how they have implemented it. Some manufacturers give you the ability to zoom to predefined "prime" lengths, so therefore 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 135mm etc. If the LX100 allows that, then it won't be such a bind as every push on the zoom lever would take you automatically to the next highest or lowest "prime" slot (depending on which direction you hit the zoom lever for instance). I know for example my Nikon Coolpix P7100 had this option in the menus and it really made the power zoom feature a non issue for me.

Last edited:
Yes, the PZ is disappointing. I find a zoom ring much more natural, but PZ zooms tend to be quite slow, meaning you nearly always miss the focal length you want whilst waiting for the lens to catch up.
If Panasonic can fix that, I'd like the focus ring to double up as a zoom ring in AF mode. Otherwise, a toggle is just as good.

Thr other concern I have is about how deep they eye cup is. I'm very left-eye dominant so if the eye cup is too shallow my nose is going to get in the way!
Hopefully they might do a deeper eyecup for we lefties - and include it free in the box! * (I use the deeper one on my E-M5 and it's much better than the standard one IMHO).

* This will not happen.

I rather suspect the camera shop is just trying to persuade you to buy a GX7. If Panasonic has stopped production of the GX7, I'll eat my camera bag :)
  • They haven't announced a replacement
  • Even if they had announced a replacement, it wouldn't arrive for many months
  • Even if the replacement was here already, Panasonic generally continue to sell the old model for some time afterwards
Did it taste nice? What are you going to keep your camera in now? :D:LOL:

This seems like a good move by Panasonic if true.
They should focus less on differentiating between multiple classes (which usually means deliberately crippling some models) and simply produce the very best cameras they can.
A two class line-up of a big and small body, with the same tech in each, is a great for consumers.
The next thing they need to do is work on their primes. The 25/1.4 is a fantastic lens, but quite big. The 20/1.7 is a great size but the focussing is a bit slow. It could really do with an update to take on the Olympus 17/1.8 as the fast normal prime of choice.

My Hahnel Combi TF triggers arrived today. Just checked they worked OK. I bought an extra receiver and tried trigerring my Nissin Di466 and my i40 and they worked a treat. They only work with manual flash as the trigger doesn't do TTL but I am sure I will learn how to do it. I though that setting them up might be difficult but it was very easy. Just check all the little switches in transmitter and receiver were set the same ( I believe you can change them to any combination as long as they all match in case someone near you is on the same setting and you would end up setting there flash off ) and then put the transmitter onto the camera and the receivers on the flash. Switch the power on to the right setting on the Combis, and set the flashguns to Manual. Fire away.
You can also use them as a remote shutter trigger. To do this you put the receiver on the camera, plug in the supplied cord, black end to camera remote socket and grey end to receiver (not the other way round as stated in the instructions)! and away you go.
Now I need to learn how to use the flashguns creatively.:thinking:

Back