Panasonic LX100

Wish they 'd just hurry up and release it now. Hopefully the price will drop soon...

From ephotozine review:

"You can use the lens ring to set the zoom position in steps from 24mm to 75mm, or use the zoom ring around the shutter release button for more precise control over the zoom position. The setting changed by the lens ring can be customised in the camera menus to alter zoom, step zoom, ISO, white balance, filter or turned off completely. "

SOLD to the llama at the back.

From ephotozine review:

"You can use the lens ring to set the zoom position in steps from 24mm to 75mm, or use the zoom ring around the shutter release button for more precise control over the zoom position. The setting changed by the lens ring can be customised in the camera menus to alter zoom, step zoom, ISO, white balance, filter or turned off completely. "

SOLD to the llama at the back.

Wot no focus? It must surely focus too?

First descriptions I saw mentioned the ring being used for manual focus rather than zoom, which is what I was whining about above!

Looks like they've covered everyone's wish list then. (*)
As long as the IQ is half decent and there's no manufacturing issues, Panny have smashed this one out of the park.

(*) edit : except for a movable screen.

Last edited:
Would it be worth paying a bit extra for the red dot version of this camera?
Very tempted.

Depends if you think a red dot is an especially useful feature.
I was thinking in terms of how Leica would implement their firmware, the additional warranties and packaged software. I was also wondering if it would hold its price better.

I was thinking in terms of how Leica would implement their firmware, the additional warranties and packaged software. I was also wondering if it would hold its price better.

Swings and roundabouts, you pay more for Leica upfront but get more back at re-sale. It seems to be the case with the Lecia D-lux and the Panny LX.

Personally I just don't get the red dot lust.

For their own cameras... I can see the market but their Panny clones just seem badge snobbery gone mad to me and there's not a chance in @Ell I'd pay more for a Leica badge.

It's hardly a proper Leica anyway it's a panasonic with a red dot stuck on. If I stick a Ferrari badge on my car does it make it a super car?!

For me I am very tempted by the camera LX100 or Typ 109 but was wondering if the Leica version would be any better.

Have Leica just stuck a red dot on it or have they spent time reengineering the way it performs. Used their R&D team that may have different experiences or different budgets to reimplement the foundations provided by the LX100. And if they have whether it's for the good or bad of the camera.

Using the car analogy offered, many manufacturers share a chassis and engine but implement things differently or use different technologies and as such they perform in different ways, adjusted to the market they are intended for.

Have previous Leica Panasonic's been any better than the panasonic model?

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

I think at least some past ones have had a tweak to jpeg output.

I suppose a Leica could make sense if the bundled software made it a good deal but I think I'm right in saying that in the past it's still been cheaper to buy the Panasonic version and the software.

If it's a good deal then it's a good deal but the thought of paying more for a badge doesn't interest me.

I wouldn't buy a Leica for perceived software/firmware benefits. That's not what made them famous/expensive.

The hardware is exactly the same for both camera except that the Leica model removes the hand grip and replaces the circular control buttons for some rather naff looking square ones.

Therefore...

Leica advantages:
Lightroom 5
3 yr Warranty
Leica 'styling'
Possible slight tweeks with the Jpeg engine

Leica disadvantages:
£150 more
Walking round with a pretend Leica and looking like a saddo.

Personally I think that the aluminium & brown Panasonic is the best looks of all of them.

The Leica looks a lot better. Cleaner lines, nicer typefaces, minimalistic icons/UI. Should be largely the same IQ wise.

If the Panasonic was still £799 then the Leica would have been a no brainer, but now that he pricing has been fixed it's all down to how much value you place in the warranty, Lightroom code, and styling.

The hardware is exactly the same for both camera except that the Leica model removes the hand grip and replaces the circular control buttons for some rather naff looking square ones.

Therefore...

Leica advantages:
Lightroom 5
3 yr Warranty

Leica disadvantages:
£150 more
Walking round with a pretend Leica and looking like a saddo.

Personally I think that the aluminium & brown Panasonic is the best looks of all of them.

LR5 and 3 years warranty would be nice

If the Panasonic was still £799 then the Leica would have been a no brainer, but now that he pricing has been fixed it's all down to how much value you place in the warranty, Lightroom code, and styling.

When I started looking there was only £25 difference, seems the panasonic has price has been lowered

The User Manuals are now available for download on the main Panasonic UK website.

According to Park, the cameras should be available this week.

This has grown on me. Anyone know the fastest aperture at 35 and 50mm equiv?

There's an equivalence chart on the DPR site in one of the early reviews.

Oh FFS, Panasonic! Apparently the filter thread is 43mm. Why couldn't they have gone with 46mm, like several of their MFT lenses?

Care to expand any...

Not really. I've only had it for a couple of hours, but first impressions are excellent.

However I will say that it seems to soak up high ISO well. It's very configurable. The zoom ring isn't far off manual ones and amazingly it's the first compact that I've ever found which is capable of proper BBF.

I had a quick play with one today quite impress,if I was in the market for an compact just might be top of my list :)

Not really. I've only had it for a couple of hours, but first impressions are excellent.

However I will say that it seems to soak up high ISO well. It's very configurable. The zoom ring isn't far off manual ones and amazingly it's the first compact that I've ever found which is capable of proper BBF.

BBF? Back Button Focus?

Review here (but I'm sure yours will be better)...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_LX100/

I think I want one... but I think I have too many cameras.

For those who have one or are thinking of getting one... where will it fit in for you?

ie. Is it you main camera? An alternative to a DSLR? Or maybe just an addition to an ever growing list of camera kit?

I have an A7 which I use with manual lenses, a GX7 which I tend to take out when I want a relatively compact camera with the 20mm f1.7, a G1 which I take on walks during the day and use for flower shots and I have a few compacts (Medion, Canon Ixus and Panny LX5) which I haven't really used for quite some time now. If I go for a LX100 I suppose something should go but I'm not sure what.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting one as a replacement for my xf1. It's a toss up between this and the rx100. My reason for the xf1 was to have a small, pocketable camera for when I didn't want to lug the d7000 and everything else around. So from this point of view, the obvious choice is the rx100.

But then I think about things like ease of use, low light etc etc and wonder if I'd be better going for the lx100. I'd lose the pocketability but would the trade off in size be worth it....:thinking:

The lx100 would bring much more to me than the xf1 - 1/16000s for example. Compared to the rx100, it doesn't reach f2.8 until 52mm whereas the rx100 is at f2.8 at 35mm.

I think about what I do with the xf1 - it's generally kept in my laptop bag or the car door so no size issues here. Then I think no tilting screen ( not the end of the world as I don't have one now..). Image quality appears to be on par I think

For those who have one or are thinking of getting one... where will it fit in for you?
It will replace at least my 12-40/2.8, and in all likelihood all the rest of my MFT kit too.

I might keep the XF1 as a trouser-pocket camera, but I won't need one if those until Summer so I might offload the XF1 too.

Simplicity :)

Last edited:
Back