Panning/Motion shots

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
I like the 3rd one with the police, even though they were probably just on a routine patrol and not moving fast the fact it's a police car makes it seem more exciting somehow and gives the image more of a story.

I like the 3rd one with the police, even though they were probably just on a routine patrol and not moving fast the fact it's a police car makes it seem more exciting somehow and gives the image more of a story.
He was probably going about 40mph, which is faster than the 30mph speed limit on that bit of road. I'd heard the sirens approaching so had turned to capture it. Sadly you can't really make out the fact that the lights were flashing.
I did get a shot of another police car but that was on patrol and going slower.

I think I prefer the middle shot - nice crisp image of the bike. Panning is something I'm trying to practice more, to try to reduce the number of reject shots.

Nice, what shutter speed were you using?

Nice, what shutter speed were you using?
The first one was 1/30th, 2nd shot was 1/50th, 3rd shot was 1/60th. (In the exif details on flickr).
Basically, the faster the object was moving, the faster the shutter speed. So long as your panning motion is smooth, you can get away with slower shutter speeds. I was shooting in manual and adjusted till I got the result I wanted.
Cheers

Back