Passion Flower

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
A very long wait, 5 years after they were planted, we actually got some flowers. Not entirely sure why the stuff in the background looks the way it does, perhaps some camera or bush movement, but pretty pleased with the shot.

20141002-IMG_2449 by Mr Seahorse, on Flickr

Last edited:
A very long wait, 5 years after they were planted, we actually got some flowers.
Now that's really weird, I planted one late June, not much more that a 2-3 foot sprog, and its been flowering through the autumn, not prolifically, but a few blooms,
here and there. It looks to be the same species too.

Nice capturer (y)

Perhaps I need to be less aggressive with the hedge trimmers?:tumbleweed:

Perhaps I need to be less aggressive with the hedge trimmers?:tumbleweed:
PMSL Yep slash and burn is not a good look as far as passiflora's are concerned :D

I have an eight year old Wysteria which is a beautiful plant. Big, trained, lush foliage.
Flowers? Zilch. Nada. Not one....ever.

Beautiful flower!

Having grown Passiflora caerulaea (which is what I think that species is) from seed, I can tell you it didn't flower in year 1 but did in year 2 and is now like a blooming (pun intended) weed. Literally! It's sending up suckers in the lawn several metres away from the parent and if we let the fruits fall, they self seed like a 15 year old boy at a Beyoncé gig... Not too much further south than you but possibly enough to make a difference.

Our Wysteria sinensis also flowers every year and is small and not very bushy... Avoid high Nitrogen fertilizers near it and maybe give it a drop of tomato feed.

As Ruth says, lovely flower and well shot.

Just for interest, they're called Passion Flowers since the 3 clublike stigmas are supposed to represent the 3 nails used to hold Jesus on the cross. At least that's one theory!

Back