PC sync cable question.

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

This is just a pretty simple question I'd like a little clarification on if I could.

I'm after a PC cable to fire my 580ex II off camera on a stand, just to clarify I will need a standard male to female pc sync cable right? (using a 40D) If so do you have any suggestions for a decent quality one which will give me some working space indoors?

Also I think I will need a couple of hotshot adapters to mount my flashes on the stands due to the design of the umbrella adapters I'v purchased, anything I should specifically look out for when buying these?

Regards,

Rob

http://www.flashzebra.com -- to identify what you need; the options available; and, if necessary, decide what to look for from UK sellers.

Oh, and welcome! (y)

I asked the same question a few days ago. No response on here :(

As far as I can work out you actually need a male-male cable. Pretty rare things but you can get them on Ebay.

:hug: :LOL:

I know nuffink about Canon (that's printable)!

i dont think a standard pc sync cable would do as it has one end that is a 3mm jack plug and neither the 40d or the 580 exII takes this.

it needs the same at both ends as already mentioned.

Thank you all for the swift informative reply's, I checked out the seller you suggested Flash In The Pan, now have cable and hot shoe on their way to me :] Seems it is a M-M cable I need after all

Thanks again

I'm not sure why the Canon dedicated extension cord is not what you want? Does everything, including E-TTL2. I think FlashInThePan sells copies at a good price.

To go your route, you will also need a sync outlet on the camera*.

Edit: *Correction. My stupid. Of course it has a PC socket :shrug:

I'm not sure why the Canon dedicated extension cord is not what you want? Does everything, including E-TTL2. I think FlashInThePan sells copies at a good price.

To go your route, you will also need a sync outlet on the camera.

I thought the 40D has a PC socket under the rubber cover.
C

I thought the 40D has a PC socket under the rubber cover.
C

Sorry, blonde moment. Of course it has a PC socket :clap: Don't know what I was thinking.

Ah the reason I didn't go for the canon cable is that, I want to use it solely for triggering my 580ex off camera in manual when mounted on a stand. I didn't feel the need to fork out more for the canon cable when I wouldn't make full use of it, oh also I didn't think they would make one long enough :) - I could be wrong of course but I think it will be fine

A quick look on Ebay suggests you'll be around a tenner for a long enough cable, assuming you can get one with the correct ends on it...

Ah the reason I didn't go for the canon cable is that, I want to use it solely for triggering my 580ex off camera in manual when mounted on a stand. I didn't feel the need to fork out more for the canon cable when I wouldn't make full use of it, oh also I didn't think they would make one long enough :) - I could be wrong of course but I think it will be fine

That makes sense, but you can join two Canon cords together. I think even three is still okay. FITP's prices are keen - in the For Sale section :)

Back