Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
A few more from a recent visit.
Slightly different angles and stuff.
All shot with a canon 10-22
Its quite interesting inasmuch as I actually saw this built.
I was working for a company at that time that had the contract
to supply some of the building materials
I wasn't really into photography at the time,
so its a shame that I never got any "construction images".

From the web
A Peace Pagoda is a Buddhist stupa; a monument to inspire peace, designed to provide a focus for people of all races and creeds,
and to help unite them in their search for world peace.
Most (though not all) peace pagodas built since World War II have been built under the guidance of Nichidatsu Fujii (1885–1985),
a Buddhist monk from Japan and founder of the Nipponzan-Myōhōji Buddhist Order.

Peace Pagodas were built as a symbol of peace in Japanese cities,
including Hiroshima and Nagasaki where the atomic bombs took the lives of over 150,000 people,
almost all of whom were civilian, at the end of World War II.
By 2000, eighty Peace Pagodas had been built around the world in Europe, Asia, and the United States.
The Pagoda at Willen (Milton Keynes) was the first ever built in Europe, and was completed in 1980.

This is well out of my comfort zone so all comments always welcome.

IMG_5646
by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

IMG_5629

IMG_5628

IMG_5620

IMG_5614 by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

These are very interesting and I'm sure the write-up will be appreciated. I hadn't heard of them before.

Re. 'out of your comfort zone' they look fine to me, anyway,more a subject of interest than addressing technical detail.

Last edited:
These are very interesting and I'm sure the write-up will be appreciated. I hadn't heard of them before.

Re. 'out of your comfort zone' they look fine to me, anyway,more a subject of interest than addressing technical detail.
Thanks John I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment. :)

Seeing these remind me of the one in I've ben to in Battersea Park, SW London which looks very similar and erected at about the same time I would imagine.

Seeing these remind me of the one in I've ben to in Battersea Park, SW London which looks very similar and erected at about the same time I would imagine.
Tis similar, Batttersea has a double "roof" though and was built 5 years later.

It was twenty years ago and I was living in nearby Wimbledon...I have some prints somewhere but I do remember being somewhat impressed at the time.
They are impressive aren't they?
The MK one was "opened" in 1980

According to the web,
The London Peace Pagoda (51.482018°N 0.159025°W) was completed in 1985 on the south side of the River Thames in Battersea Park, London.
Permission to build it was the last legislative act of the Greater London Council.

Back