Peacock Butterfly close-up on a telephoto....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes

^ Canon 70D, 300mm f4L IS, handheld, more EXIF on Flickr (click the image).

First session using this telephoto lens for close-up - The lens focusses down to 1.5m/5ft which is pretty impressive for a 300mm telephoto and also extremely practical. If out hunting for mini-beasts my setup consists of the 300mm on my 70D around my neck, a Lowepro (Lens Exchange 200AW) lens changing bag on my belt and so am ready to get my first shots in the bag down to 5ft/1.5m distance and then put the body on my Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Macro being carried on the tripod and click out of the tripod as/when preferred to go in very close and personal. The tripod is a very compact lightweight carbon Manfrotto MT293C4. I also carry a Canon 1.4x in a belt pouch ready if birdies take my fancy.

Special thanks to @Mystery57 for selling me the Canon 300mm via TP Classifieds (where I have bought all four of my lenses) - He needed to "rationalise his collection" :D

All comments are very welcome :)

Good one Robin. I'm a bit annoyed by the bright highlights on the grass, but the exposure on the subject is good, and it's looks nice and sunny :)

Some nice detail on this if you click through and look at it on Flickr. Sounds like you have a good set up and are equipped to tackle pretty much anything.

Thanks, Tim (y)

I was aware of the bright highlights on the plant but haven't gone as far as burning in any detail in PP. I decided that it all adds to the atmosphere of light and dark in the environment. Afterall, in real life we see such highlight extremes and that's what the camera has captured.

I certainly wasn't prepared to compromise the Butterfly itself for the sake of the plant highlights.

Sometimes killing highlights can kill the impact of an image - Of course it depends on the individual image.

Robin a lovely looking butterfly & a good capture so keep them coming :)

That's a lovely butterfly and looks even better over in Flickr.... something i would like to get more of(y)

Looking good Robin - told you it was a good close up lens :)

....It sure is! Oak pattern camouflage lens covers arrived today for it from Outdoor Photography Gear - More for my lens handling comfort and its surface protection than any camouflage.

Back