weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Edit My Images
Yes
:wave: First time here for me, just hope I can keep it up :D

Welcome to the madhouse Phil........ look forward to seeing your images (y)

Thanks for the replies :)

Adam, you won't be on your own needing a little help along the way, trust me :D

I've been having a look through a few 52's from this year and there's a lot to live up to :runaway:

Well done Phil - do try and see it through... it is well worth it when you do...

I would say be as flexible with the themes as you need to, give yourself a rest every so often by shoeing in a great shot you have taken during the week anyway, and don't get behind. Also I think you learn as much by looking and commenting on others, as you do by receiving comments on your own.

Thanks for the advice Graham :) I don't do a lot of critique but I'm certainly going to try give it a go in this section (y)

So.........here we have it, my first image of 2014 TP52's, the bonus round 'odd'

Nothing special, but if I start low things can only get better :D

Straight away and if truth be known I have no idea why, when I read 'odd' I thought of numbers and a game I played a lot as a kid with mi dad, dominoes!

All comments and critique welcome, I try not to take photography too serious but I'm keen to keep learning :)

Odd 1st '52
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done Phil sir! (y) even beaten Andy (@posiview) to the first post of 2014..

If you whack it into the pictures thread with a link back to yours, it does make it easier for everyone to keep track of what's what! (also you'll be first).

Great start, well on theme, good use of DOF, spot on focus point on the 3. Arrangement is key for these type shots and you've done well here. Was there not a 5 domino?? You could always clone a dot into the middle of the 4 before anyone notices.. :naughty:

Well done! still got 52 to go though.

I really like the interpretation of the theme, its an odd number but its also the odd one out!

I like how you selected focus on the 3 domino, it does a good job of drawing the viewers attention but doesn't blow the other dominoes out so much you can't see what they are. The 6:6 domino is blown out but the other dominoes being viewable makes it easy for your mind to fill in the detail. I would like for the 3 domino to to be a little more sharp though. 1/13 of a second is quite slow for the shutter speed, did you use a tripod? It might be worth using "mirror up" on the shutter release. Just suggestions, I'm still not certain its not just me eyes deceiving me :p. If its my eyes ignore me Other that that the lighting is excellent, the backdrop is white but not blown out (which I like) and the framing is good.

Well done, good entry for the practice week. I look forward to your main 52 :)

Well done Phil sir! (y) even beaten Andy (@posiview) to the first post of 2014..

If you whack it into the pictures thread with a link back to yours, it does make it easier for everyone to keep track of what's what! (also you'll be first).

Great start, well on theme, good use of DOF, spot on focus point on the 3. Arrangement is key for these type shots and you've done well here. Was there not a 5 domino?? You could always clone a dot into the middle of the 4 before anyone notices.. :naughty:

Well done! still got 52 to go though.

Graham, thanks again for the encouraging comments :) and I'd actually forgot about the other thread and putting a link in
but rectified now (y) cheers

I really like the interpretation of the theme, its an odd number but its also the odd one out!

I like how you selected focus on the 3 domino, it does a good job of drawing the viewers attention but doesn't blow the other dominoes out so much you can't see what they are. The 6:6 domino is blown out but the other dominoes being viewable makes it easy for your mind to fill in the detail. I would like for the 3 domino to to be a little more sharp though. 1/13 of a second is quite slow for the shutter speed, did you use a tripod? It might be worth using "mirror up" on the shutter release. Just suggestions, I'm still not certain its not just me eyes deceiving me :p. If its my eyes ignore me Other that that the lighting is excellent, the backdrop is white but not blown out (which I like) and the framing is good.

Well done, good entry for the practice week. I look forward to your main 52 :)

Nick, thanks also for the comments :) I did use a tripod, with 2 second timer set. I've got to be honest, I've heard of the term but I wouldn't know how to set 'mirror up' on the shutter release :oops: :$ but I'll make a point later today to try learn about the technique (y), cheers

Edit:- Nick, I've had a quick look and on the D3100 mirror lock up is automatic when having it on live view, I think this is the only way to 'lock the mirror up'. I'll bear it in mind next time I'm shooting something like this on the tripod :), cheers

Last edited:
Nice start good interpretation off the word odd, I do like the composition of the image I think it works very well. Keep up the good work I am still thinking off something to do.

Thanks Mandy, I've got to admit, I hope the ideas for the next 52 come to me as easy as this one did.............but I can't see it some how :D

Thanks Andy. :)

The orange cast was actually intentional. The doms were front lit by natural light so I placed an old torch ( not one of these modern blue light things) to the right and behind to try get get the shadows.

I did realise it didn't work too well ................I was trying to keep it quiet ;)

Looks like am busted :p

A good take on the theme Phil, b+w suits the dominoes. A five in there would be a good alternative lay out, there seems to be a bit of distortion on the dominoes, which kind of works as the theme is odd!

Thanks Micheal, I suppose I could say, the fact there's 5 dominoes, makes up for it :D

very nice depth of field - what lens did you use ?

Cheers Tim, I used a Nikon 55-200mm VR with a tripod :)

I couldn't remember the focal length but exif says 130mm. There was a thread I remember reading about using longer focal lengths closer to the subject to achieve a better affect (well I hope that's right:D), it seems to have worked well on this image anyway

Hi Phil, nice interpretation of the theme, it might have worked better in B+W just to take that slight colour cast away
the other crit would be the spacing of the doms, needs to be perfect its an ocd thing

Hi Phil, nice interpretation of the theme, it might have worked better in B+W just to take that slight colour cast away
the other crit would be the spacing of the doms, needs to be perfect its an ocd thing

Hi Phil

off to a flyer I see......

No real crit over & above what has been said , like the DOF , another vote for mono though, the slight cast niggles , as does the spacing a tad but then Als not the only one with OCD's :D

Thanks for the comments :) I am guilty of not being very accurate with the spacing, didn't give it that much thought, but now its been mention its quite noticeable. I've made a note if I do anything similar, cheers :)

Happy New Year everyone, all the best for TP52 2014 :banana:

Good work Phil...off to a flying start.....Good use of DOF.....and I like the spacing, although not equal across all dominoes, there is still a symmery in that you have a equal (if larger gap) each end. Also shadows are nice and not to owerpowering which would spoil.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments chaps :)

Cheers Craig :)....Now linear/line :thinking:

Nipped out earlier and took this , thought it might suit b&w, not something I've done a lot of.

TP52 Linear lines
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
"Odd" ... like it, the concept & the DoF

"Linear/Lines" ... nice, as minnnt say, lines everywhere. My original plan for "Linear/Lines" was double yellows and to do a pleasantville job, but too late now as I think we can only post one pic.

Really good Phil. Lines everywhere!!

Cheers, David :)

"Odd" ... like it, the concept & the DoF

"Linear/Lines" ... nice, as minnnt say, lines everywhere. My original plan for "Linear/Lines" was double yellows and to do a pleasantville job, but too late now as I think we can only post one pic.

Thanks for comments on both images David :) Think you can post more than one image per subject if you want (y)
I do like the b&w conversion on this and plenty of lines indeed.

Thanks Mandy :)

verticals, diagonals and horizontals everywhere.

Well done.

Thanks John, to be fair, I hadn't thought of the verticals in the railings :oops: :$ :D
Loads of lines :)

The conversion works well, really adds to it.

Cheers Mark, I've mentioned on another thread that b&w seems to suit this weeks theme

Lots of lines in this one and like the b/w conversion. Just wonder whether concentrating on a few rather the many would have made it more impactful?

Hi Phil,
Lots of lines there, maybe a few too many not really sure what lines I am meant to be looking at,
good start though and yes lots of B+W this week

Back