Beginner photography cousre results

The processing on the first puts me off what I think is probably a lovely photo. She's so over sharpened and what the White stripe? The second I like lots, I guess it may be better if you changed to composition slightly to move her off the centre line vertically. Not everyone will like the space.

Love the pose in no1.
Maybe the White stripe is a door edge, it is however obtrusive.

I would think it's something to do with the upload after it was edited as steve's handy with PS and certified to teach. Assuming it was steve who edited it of course.

Not bad for a beginner I'd say op, well done and good luck with the training :)

It was steve who edited. It was a jpeg as my d7100 raw file would not load up.
The white stripe is a white painted pillar.
Here is the unedited version
View attachment 32656

The crop on his edit works well. But the unedited version is a thousand times better, regardless of how qualified the editor was the sharpening ruined it

Thank you all for the comments. I have more on my flickr page but on my phone so it will not let me show the link to them.

Go-go-Gadget clarity slider! The crop works well though so I'd keep the crop and have a go with editing it yourself.

For the second image, it looks like you've focussed on the wall? Of camera flash is nice on the subject but poorly directed (shadow top left).

Yep cant disagree with what has been said.

No 2, whatever is done will not improve greatly due to the OOF eyes, although the over sharpening on No. 1 at least gives you the chance to have another go at the RAW, although when looked at in detail, there is a limit to the amount of sharpening that can be done without making it look obvious.

Prefer No.1 anyway.

Had a go with it for you and in the end decided that the door had to go, but liked the off centre placing of the model. In this one I have not sharpened it as the original seems sensitive to any such alteration to the jpeg. Sharpened up the catch light though.

212tunc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but the above edit by Shreds looks a lot better than the original posted, which as been said, was way over sharpened.

Yep cant disagree with what has been said.

No 2, whatever is done will not improve greatly due to the OOF eyes, although the over sharpening on No. 1 at least gives you the chance to have another go at the RAW, although when looked at in detail, there is a limit to the amount of sharpening that can be done without making it look obvious.

Prefer No.1 anyway.

Had a go with it for you and in the end decided that the door had to go, but liked the off centre placing of the model. In this one I have not sharpened it as the original seems sensitive to any such alteration to the jpeg. Sharpened up the catch light though.

212tunc.jpg

That's the exact same idea I had lol... I did the same edit, except I took a bit more off the top and head cropped a tad (because you lose separation with the background at the top, a head crop seemed to work quite well). That 'pillar' thingy had to go. It was way too distracting and looked more like a mistake than a conscious decision to include in the composition.
Nice one.

Just seen a further possibility in the original, although the crop is beginning to show IQ limitations at this level.

fyg4k3.jpg

Back