Photography in the rain...

Edit My Images
No
Called off my practice session yesterday...which made me think...

This might sound like a silly question to some...but what if you need to take a picture in the rain? Obviously this assumes your camera is not waterproof. Do you use a weatherproof case? An umbrella:)? Or just avoid it altogether?

How much rain is too much for most cameras (without a case)?

Look forward to reading your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you.

BertieTBE

An umbrella will be fine in light rain and not much wind.
If you get desparate even a plastic bag with rubber bands or tape for seals will work.
In heavy rain I use an Optech Rain Sleeve.
I always use a lens hood which also helps a bit.

Last edited:
...but what if you need to take a picture in the rain?
Need to?? Heck, I'm eagerly awaiting the weekend, as they have promised rain! :D
Have some mushrooms to shoot and they are really best in the wet! :LOL:

How much rain is too much for most cameras (without a case)?
I always find, I give up before the camera...

Except if we're in a severe storm and not speaking macro things. Then the gear *must* take, whatever comes. Often visit the harbour in these conditions, so a lot of salty, sticky seaspray comes into play too.

If you're going to purchase, check out for weathersealing. Gives peace on mind!

Peple pay hundreds or thousands for cameras and lens.. but prefer a plastic bag rather than a dedicated camera rain cover... just beggers belief...

An umbrella will be fine in light rain and not much wind.
If you get desparate even a plastc bag with rubber bands or tape for seals will work.
In heavy rain I use an Optech Rain Sleeve.
I always use a lens hood which also helps a bit.

Hi, Was looking for something like that Optech Rain Sleeve so went on Ebay.UK as I live in Greece and found a double pack at £5.95 and the P&P was good also £17.95 yep £17.95:crying: so was thinking is there anything lighter because they must weigh a ton:LOL:
Thanks
Russ..

Hi, Was looking for something like that Optech Rain Sleeve so went on Ebay.UK as I live in Greece and found a double pack at £5.95 and the P&P was good also £17.95 yep £17.95:crying: so was thinking is there anything lighter because they must weigh a ton:LOL:
Thanks
Russ..

Lots of sellers here, might be one who delivers to you at a more reasonable rate?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...nkCode=shr&tag=1567&psc=1&smid=A3GI79VBNSVFZI Do they not sell them in Greece though? (or I am sure you could make your own from a plastic bag?). :)

i had a MX event booked last Monday, just happened the weather god unleashed torrential rain non stop all day. So with 35 riders waiting for me i made my own ghetto rain cover that worked 100 percent so i got paid and all was good, exempt i now got the worst chest bug ever lol, cameras fine though...

I haven't found a rain cover that fits over the camera so you can use it hand held easily. I got one but it only seems to be any good if you have it on a tripod. Which is the last thing on the planet I'm going to want to cart round in the rain!

@ Suz
While I mostly and Optech on a monopod (Motor sport with a long lens) there isn't really a problem usingt it hand held (for panning etc) - Even the plastic bags will still be ok.

#1 This guy uses a large plastic bag when shooting with his Nikon 500 f4 lens hand held.

Motor sport photographer by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#2 Here is another example of a plastic bag being used.

IMG_1033 by dicktay2000, on Flickr

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to use a plastic bag but I guess for a lens that big. If you want to look cool then find a way to hold your umbrella in a bag strap that is placed across your chest. You can then have an umbrella overhead with both hands free. I learned that from a pro.

I wouldn't want to use a plastic bag but I guess for a lens that big. If you want to look cool then find a way to hold your umbrella in a bag strap that is placed across your chest. You can then have an umbrella overhead with both hands free. I learned that from a pro.

I managed that at The British Wildlife Centre a few months back! BWC offer umbrellas to all customers which is always welcome with the British weather. A karabiner and a piece of elastic held it securely in place to be backpack. Still had a WWS rain cover over the camera and lens, definitely worth the money if you are investing in a lens you plan to keep for long time. Both kept the camera and me dry, and I managed some different photos too.

shower proof
A lot of things are shower proof - that includes bags and backpacks. Trouble is, in western Britain we get a lot more than showers - we get driving rain. It seems to me that the average modern backpack is full of seams, zips and gimmicks and leaks like a sieve when put to the test. And for a bag to be supplied with a 'rain cover' is to me an admission of poor design.

Peple pay hundreds or thousands for cameras and lens.. but prefer a plastic bag rather than a dedicated camera rain cover... just beggers belief...

Yes I agree and you can get a decent one on ebay for only a few pounds:)

I've got a rain cover, and it does a great job of keeping the camera dry. But it isn't perfect. Firstly, they're just clumsy. Unless you're going to get one made specifically for your camera/lens, it's going to be generic which means you'll have too much material folding up in front of you. Secondly, it's all very well having a nice sealed rain cover, until you need to pull your hand out, which then gets wet, so when you put it back in again, moisture is getting inside.

been discussed quite a few times to be honest, im sure you could find something with the search option.

depends on budget, but in order of cost:

plastic/freezer bags (cheap and cheerful, disposable but possible easy to tear)
optech (cheap, personally i found these fog up really badly)
stormjacket (expensive, but well made, holes for mono/tripod on larger versions, however cheaper versions available)
thinktank (the most expensive, but trick as hell)

personally ive done 1, 2 and 3 from the above..

Freezer bags and elastic bands on 120-300

DSC00177
by neilgates, on Flickr

stormjacket on 120-300

IMG_7037_800
by neilgates, on Flickr

I spent years shooting Sunday morning football and rugby in all weathers with a canon 40D and the 50D, neither particularly known for weatherproofing.

For light, intermittant drizzle I just used a beer towel over the top of the camera and lens. Heavier weather I used thick garden rubbish bags, trimmed to fit and held with elastic bands. You get two out of every big band for big lenses and room. I never got on with the proper camera plastic bags as they fogged.

For really bad days & heavy rain then nothing beats a stool and large fishing umbrella or even one of the shelters you can sit it, but then you pick a point on the pitch and stay there.

Kata rain cover. Saved my camera many times, as an equestrian event tog you are out in all weathers. Some of our most profitable days have been when we keep shooting in the rain because everyone else puts their cameras away ;)

Kata rain cover. Saved my camera many times, as an equestrian event tog you are out in all weathers. Some of our most profitable days have been when we keep shooting in the rain because everyone else puts their cameras away ;)
cant argue with that.

brollies, as someone mentioned earlier, are most definitely out as an option in that scenario too. but depends what youre shooting.

I use half a pair of cheap waterproof over-trousers - cut vertically not into shorts and two legs!
Most cheap waterproofs are indeed waterproof, they just don't breathe well which is not a problem for a camera in the rain.
Plus one pair gives you, well, one pair.

Oh and while I'm here, if you lost a cheap pair at Silverstone a couple of years ago, thank you!

cheers, cw

Nikon AW1.

Nikon AW1.

Such a good post the forum decided to duplicate it!

I use half a pair of cheap waterproof over-trousers - cut vertically not into shorts and two legs!
Most cheap waterproofs are indeed waterproof, they just don't breathe well which is not a problem for a camera in the rain.
Plus one pair gives you, well, one pair.

Oh and while I'm here, if you lost a cheap pair at Silverstone a couple of years ago, thank you!

cheers, cw
not thought of that before, thank you! might improvise with an old water proof top as well, the elastic cuffs might be useful :p

I have been trying to rig up something that will hold an umbrella on my backpack. I want to make it so that the umbrella is held in where the tripod holder is. this way your hands would be free and you would be dry. I need to rig something that I can adjust the angle but haven't had time to mess with it lately.

I cut the leeve off an old waterproof goretex jacket. The cuff fits the lens nicely and the sleeve just wide enough for a 1D body.

Surprised no one has mentioned a shower cap. The sort that are free in hotel bathrooms. They are ideal if you get caught out in a shower. They don't get in the way when using the camera and you can still get to all controls. However they don't protect the lens, but ideal in an emergency when optech/custom made waterproof is left behind.

I've been really happy with FotoSharp's rain covers. I can use them either on a tripod, or with the camera on a strap around my neck. Mostly I use them for shooting kids sports without a tripod, but if I'm doing landscapes, I use a tripod. They offer several sizes and colors, so something should meet your needs.

www.fotosharp.com

Thanks
Russ..
Does it rain in Greece?

Rain covers (proper ones) are cheap... so have to agree here.

Does it rain in Greece?

YES! And when it does, it does so with force. Been caught out in sudden torrential thunderstorms a couple of times but managed to get under cover quickly and blagged a carrier bag to keep my camera dry!

Back