Photography restrictions at rugby stadiums?

Edit My Images
Yes
I was thinking of expanding my sports photography and thinking of doing some rugby, do Rugby stadiums impose restrictions in the same way as football?
I was thinking of getting tickets at Leicester Tigers, but don't want to turn up with my camera and get turned away.
The alternative is to start low down, ie Derby Rugby club, would they have a problem with amateur photogs turning up and shooting games?

My Local are trying to force me to join as a social member @ £35 for the year to take photo to upload to there web site :( Yea right :withstupid: I don't think so

Why don't you go and ask them. I'm sure they don't bite ... well not off the pitch anyway.

My Local are trying to force me to join as a social member @ £35 for the year to take photo to upload to there web site :( Yea right :withstupid: I don't think so

Players pay to play, what makes photographers different?

To the OP, depends on what you want to get out of it. If you're just looking at snaps then many stadia turn a blind eye. Never had a problem at Bristol or Bath for example. That said, trying to shoot from a stand is pretty pointless, just enjoy the game.

If you're looking to gain experience, improve and develop your skills, then turn up at a local club and chat to some members. Most clubs will welcome you with open arms.

@Ramalama if you do get an answer would you mind posting it here? I've also been tempted to take my camera to Welford Road but always assumed it would be an issue.

Why don't you go and ask them. I'm sure they don't bite ... well not off the pitch anyway.

The punch-ups in training at Oval Park might suggest otherwise ;)

Edited to add - their website has their ticket Ts & Cs... clause 10 may well be "standard practice" but worth noting:

10. With exception of persons authorised by Leicester tigers, the taking of photographs or the use of video equipment inside the Ground is prohibited. In addition, no recordings for radio, television or for other private purpose, whether for transmission or otherwise, is permitted, apart from those with written authorisation from the club.

Last edited:
Players pay to play, what makes photographers different?
Um may be because I'm helping promote the club free of charge for my time & efforts. after all this is only a hobby
for me. You don't have to put your hand in your pocket every-time you want to help people/ Clubs/ charity's their are
other ways you know Like giving up your time to help. :)

Last edited:
Sure and it's a shame that your club is forcing the membership. Mine has been more than generous in liquid reimbursement but because I want to feel part of the club I've chosen to join as a social member. My point was that amateur rugby players pay to do what they enjoy, I can't see a difference with amateur photographers. There are limits, of course, my local football club charges £5 admission and I used to pay but have recently been let off - just as well because I'd soon find somewhere else to shoot.

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought there might be restrictions at the higher level grounds.
Although I'd be taking pics from the stands, I'd be trying to get as low as possible, and using a fairly long lens, although the pictures would only be for myself, I'd want to do as good a job as I could.

As gets posted regularly, my advice would be that you either go to a game to watch it OR you go to photograph it. Not both.

Go watch the game, leave the camera at home, you'd probably get fairly crap photos from the stands and it is against regulations. If you want to photograph rugby, go about it the right way. Get in touch with a club, talk to some one, don't just turn up and start taking photos (I'm not suggesting you would). In my experience you'll find that there will be a club that will have no problem with you photographing, normally they will expect a couple of images in return though.

Again, my advice, don't give everything over for free. If you are totally up front about what you're doing you tend to get more positive reaction.

Also, (not saying it's you again!) I don't get a lot of people's obsession with trying to photograph the absolute highest level possible from day 1. Sure, having big crowds as a back drop to your best action shots is better than a car park, and the atmosphere is great, but to hone your actual shooting skills at a level with easy access is more important in my opinion. Don't dismiss your local smaller clubs, they'll be more likely to let you photograph and the players and their families may actually be more likely to ask to buy a print off you! Just because it's not professional doesn't mean it doesn't make good images.

On the other point, personally I'd never shoot a game if I had to pay to do it, the whole point is trying to do it the other way round! :)

Cheers Steve,
Good points there, and yes, I posted with the expectation that I wouldn't be allowed in with a camera above a point and shoot.
In answer to your point about shooting at the highest level, I'll try and answer that by saying that from my experience of sneaking my camera into my local pro football ground, the difference is the higher level of technique of the players and the higher concentration levels gives much better pictures, and if you can get to a point low enough to not get spotted by the stewards you will get much better backgrounds than the one man and his dog from the local park.

I'll have to agree to disagree on the second point. I have good sports shots from professional and absolute amateur football and rugby amongst other sports. Also, you really should not be even trying to take photos in grounds where the regulations are in place. Them's the rules. :)

In answer to your point about shooting at the highest level, I'll try and answer that by saying that from my experience of sneaking my camera into my local pro football ground, the difference is the higher level of technique of the players and the higher concentration levels gives much better pictures, and if you can get to a point low enough to not get spotted by the stewards you will get much better backgrounds than the one man and his dog from the local park.

I was once told that it's difficult not to get a good picture at a top end game.. so on the one hand I agree wiht you... However if this is for a portfolio the people looking at it will ask how you got the pics as the portfolio will suggest your already shooting at a high level.. when you tell them.. there not going to be impressed.. far from it.. will do you more harm than good ....

I was once told that it's difficult not to get a good picture at a top end game.. so on the one hand I agree wiht you... However if this is for a portfolio the people looking at it will ask how you got the pics as the portfolio will suggest your already shooting at a high level.. when you tell them.. there not going to be impressed.. far from it.. will do you more harm than good ....

It was just for my own benefit really, to see if I could do it for one, and it was going to the games anyway...

I'm not wanting an argument Gary, it's just my humble opinion, there are pros and cons to both tbh.

Back