Photoshoot of Laura

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
No
My second photoshoot which was a great mixture of shots, with different outfits, locations, natural and studio lighting.

Laura, from MM, was a great model to work with, very photogenic and I had fun working with her. Definitely more confident than the last model I worked with which made it easier, hopefully working with her again sometime.

I have been thinking about upgrading to the 50mm 1.4 from my 1.8 to get that extra bit of quality from the lens, but i've read a lot of mixed reviews about upgrading so i'm going to wait.

Here they are:

3413196866_e41f4670e1.jpg

3413196606_d0917d53ac.jpg

3413196264_db0fcdb7fd.jpg

3413195914_2241246c4d.jpg

#5 - My favourite out of the lot.
3412389435_5d4a8c3a0b.jpg

3413206234_8fc7d860db.jpg

3412400711_7686f866e4.jpg

3418471777_6229e8f6eb.jpg

As always, your crit is always much appreciated!

I will add some more shots soon as well.

Last edited:
Quite a while ago we did a TP meet shot in Stevenage with Laura. I think you've got some nice shots, and she is a great model to work with to try new things out with.

re the lens, if your happy with the quality of the 1.8 and low light isn't too much of a problem, I'd stick with it.

i have no experience in this field of photography, but i think your images are great, really like the eyes and expression in the first shot. she looks like a fun model to work with. well done. (y)

Jayeshpp, I've just had a look at your flickr site. Looking at your studio stuff, I think you would have been better to use that for more of your shots. To be fair, these (in comparison) look like they were just taken in your back yard.

I was thinking that I recognised her..... And yes we did do a shoot with Laura. Personally I think they look a little bleached, and she has great eyes which don't really come through on these here.

And I'll have to say the same as Natjag, compared to some of your other work these are so-so. I also have to say though, that I find outdoor portraits much harder than in the controllable environment of the studio.

Steve

Quite a while ago we did a TP meet shot in Stevenage with Laura. I think you've got some nice shots, and she is a great model to work with to try new things out with.

re the lens, if your happy with the quality of the 1.8 and low light isn't too much of a problem, I'd stick with it.

Jayeshpp, I've just had a look at your flickr site. Looking at your studio stuff, I think you would have been better to use that for more of your shots. To be fair, these (in comparison) look like they were just taken in your back yard.

We did a couple of studio style shots, I need to put those ones up, but the first one was with studio lighting. In comparison to my other images they were taken in garden, but I am also trying to get into doing outdoor portraiture as well as working in a controlling lighting environment. They weren't "just taken in your back yard," as you have put, makes me think you might be implying these are just 'a few simple snaps around the garden.'

I was thinking that I recognised her..... And yes we did do a shoot with Laura. Personally I think they look a little bleached, and she has great eyes which don't really come through on these here.

And I'll have to say the same as Natjag, compared to some of your other work these are so-so. I also have to say though, that I find outdoor portraits much harder than in the controllable environment of the studio.

Steve

I have to say that I am quite happy with them, although some of the shots are a little soft which is probably because i've cropped quite a lot. It's all a good learning experience though, I am not completely confident just yet so I was unable to make the perfect shots but I will definitely improve for the next shoot I do.

Thank you all for your input though, I do appreciate it.

With the 50mm lens, I am happy with the 50mm 1.8, but if the image quality is that much better with the 1.4 then I would quite happily spend the money on the more expensive lens, I am also considering the 85mm 1.8, whcih im currently researching into.

Last edited:
no.1 for me. I like the pose and the eyes looking away. shows her eyes well and playing with hair works for me.

the chair I find distracting and although I'm finding the light source harsh in the top corner, her skin tone and lighting on her seems really good - I think a crop and used for a beauty headshot would work?

no.2 and 5 seems to need more fill in around the eyes? it looks a bit dark in the eye socket area, did you use a reflector?

(Man I really need to get some willing subjects as I'd love to have a go at this instead of looking :))

Great work dude.

When was the meet in stevenage? that's just up the road from me.. what was the day like I have been thinking of doing one of the portrait workshop's at the depot...

Sorry for the hijack btw..

Good quality... Nice bokeh.

no.1 for me. I like the pose and the eyes looking away. shows her eyes well and playing with hair works for me.

the chair I find distracting and although I'm finding the light source harsh in the top corner, her skin tone and lighting on her seems really good - I think a crop and used for a beauty headshot would work?

no.2 and 5 seems to need more fill in around the eyes? it looks a bit dark in the eye socket area, did you use a reflector?

(Man I really need to get some willing subjects as I'd love to have a go at this instead of looking :))

Great work dude.

Thanks for your comments Oli,

I was just using natural light and I didn't have a reflector on the day, it would have been very useful though the eyes are a little dark.

Definitely find some models and get out and do some photoshoots, it's great and you'll learn a lot whilst you're taking the shots.

Added another:

3418471777_6229e8f6eb.jpg

One thing I noticed about this one is too much of the background lighting is bouncing back onto her hair giving a weird/pixelated effect.

i like some of them, i actually like 5 the least

agree that the studio stuff looks more 'finished' some of the outdoor stuff is a bit flat for me, possibly lack of contrast in the faces? For instance i like 8 partly because there is dark and light on her face in comparison to some of the outdoor shots.

i like 6 the best, she has a very natural look on her face, shadows/contrast are stronger and background doesn't pull viewer away from the model.

i think the 85 would prob suit you better than another 50

Last edited:
I have to say you have done a good job here, i have just booked Laura for a shoot in May, it is some of these shots that made me take a look at her portfolio and flick account. What a versatile model.

1, 2, 3 and 8 hit it for me and while the rest are extremely well done the straight on composition and the flat lighting on her face makes her look like she has puffy cheeks.

Back