Beginner Pink Grasshopper

Name
Gavin Beard
Edit My Images
Yes
We found this little fella / lady in our garden yesterday.
The colour is apparently caused A recessive gene similar to the one that causes albinism. Their life expectancy isn’t all that good due to the fact they cannot hide easily from prey ( or so google leads me to believe ).

It’s one of my first attempts at macro in many years, and isn’t a great shot but wanted to share.

I ca share the original raw image if anyone wanted to have a go at editing ?

F3236671-670C-4BC9-8712-7528F30D97A6.jpegCB2EEA4E-DCEC-45D0-AFAA-CE6D8673D077.jpeg36EC56DD-CA20-42C5-96BF-2E98132BC8E6.jpeg

That's is by far the strangest thing- Not surprised the life expectancy is low

well caught

Les :)

Thank you.

After reading about them being fairly rare, we found a second one just chilling in the sun. I didn't realise how many grasshoppers we had in the back garden, I laid down to take a photo and within seconds I was covered in them. It's no wonder birds like hanging out in our little garden

You're seeing pink grasshoppers in your garden? Perhaps the stories of people drinking too much during lockdown were correct?!

Brill Gav humour and learning together pink grasshoppers in blighty who knew.?? ok there is some vague recollection but I'm so glad you shared . Mate i'm curious with you mentioning a recessive gene an all,are these hoppers breeding in a pretty much enclosed garden. Just wondered if that's why such an unusual grasshopper is appearing you say you have already found another,it sort of points to a tight breeding group with out a lot of new genes coming in, well maybe:D.

Ha don't ask me why's of pink elephants we'll leave those theories to badgers huh:exit:

cheers again

stu

That's a very cool looking insect indeed.

If I point the seek app at the computer screen it identifies it as being from the short horned Grasshopper family but refuses to give a full i.d. I guess the colour throws a spanner in the works

Brill Gav humour and learning together pink grasshoppers in blighty who knew.?? ok there is some vague recollection but I'm so glad you shared . Mate i'm curious with you mentioning a recessive gene an all,are these hoppers breeding in a pretty much enclosed garden. Just wondered if that's why such an unusual grasshopper is appearing you say you have already found another,it sort of points to a tight breeding group with out a lot of new genes coming in, well maybe:D.

Ha don't ask me why's of pink elephants we'll leave those theories to badgers huh:exit:

cheers again

stu
glad you like the images :)

the garden is enclosed on all sides and is split over multiple levels. I’ve found it’s home to a whole lot of wild life to a fairly small area.

we have at least one family of robins, house martins, magpies and black birds so I would have thought they would have gotten eaten pretty quickly ( not to mention toads and frogs behind the compost bin who venture out now and again ).

the volume of grasshoppers became clear when I laid on a patch of grass to try and get these photos, within seconds I had loads of them crawling over my arms and clothes.

it was very interesting to see and one of my daughters was blown away, she is out with her camera frequently trying to capture them again but no luck so far. First time we’ve ever seen them and possibly the las

That's a very cool looking insect indeed.

If I point the seek app at the computer screen it identifies it as being from the short horned Grasshopper family but refuses to give a full i.d. I guess the colour throws a spanner in the works
Thanks for that, I hadn’t heard of the seem app before. They are quite small, like the rest of the grasshoppers in the garden at around 4-5mm In length. The pink was quite vivid as well which was very eye catching

Thanks, I possibly could crop closer, I’ll give a try. It’s a fairly high res raw image (taken on 6d mkii ), hopefully there is enough to get in a little closer
if you provide the RAW of the first image I'll be happy to give it a try editing or at leats give you my impression of it :)

glad you like the images :)

the garden is enclosed on all sides and is split over multiple levels. I’ve found it’s home to a whole lot of wild life to a fairly small area.

we have at least one family of robins, house martins, magpies and black birds so I would have thought they would have gotten eaten pretty quickly ( not to mention toads and frogs behind the compost bin who venture out now and again ).

the volume of grasshoppers became clear when I laid on a patch of grass to try and get these photos, within seconds I had loads of them crawling over my arms and clothes.

it was very interesting to see and one of my daughters was blown away, she is out with her camera frequently trying to capture them again but no luck so far. First time we’ve ever seen them and possibly the las

I think you need to make sure that daughter finds another Gav if she is young and as blown away as you say you'll have her hooked on nature for life. (y)

Never, ever seen one of those before, nice capture.

Back