Point & Shoot for my 4 year old. Suggestions?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
How about one of the more rugged compacts that were available a couple of years ago - Olympus Tough, or similar?

or Pentax Optio WG-1 (these were new for £ 99 not long ago).

These may stand up to the abuse that a 4 yr old having a tantrum could dish out.

Last edited:
Toys r us seem to have a nice range of cameras for children, might be worth a look.

I asked around family and friends and one of them had an old p&s sat in a drawer. My 4 year old loves playing with that. For me, that's perfect scenario as not sure i'd trust her with a brand new £50 device.

you can get 4-5 mega pixel P&S on ebay for a tenner or less. I wouldnt worry too much about it being unbreakable - just impress on im that its fragile and if he breaks it - tough s*** (teach him responsibilty early). I seem to recall having a kodak 110 when i was about 4 or 5 and that survived fine.

you can get 4-5 mega pixel P&S on ebay for a tenner or less. I wouldnt worry too much about it being unbreakable - just impress on im that its fragile and if he breaks it - tough s*** (teach him responsibilty early). I seem to recall having a kodak 110 when i was about 4 or 5 and that survived fine.
This

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

He's very a responsible soon to be 4 year old, so have no issue with him using a £50 camera. He uses my wife's and is taking some superb shots and very confident. As mentioned above, I would love to get a camera similar to what he's been using, but he's a quick learning so don't see that having an impact if I can't.

Not typically after a 'children's' camera as the quality is not there. A £40-50 P&S is perfect, its just knowing what is good value for money. I've got about 8 on my Amazon wishlist which I'm working through, so I've got some ideas.

I'm currently leaning towards these:
  • Fujifilm FinePix AX250
  • Samsung PL55 Digital Camera
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSCW180
The Cybershot is a fav of mine as the Cybershot technology is superb and worked very well on my old phone.

Back