Polarizing Filter

Name
Carlo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

i am going on holiday next week and looking to purchase a polarizing filter to help improve the colours of my photos. as i travelling fairly light i am just taking the camera and one lens, and dont really want any extras, like a filter holder.

So what i was wondering, was is there a polarizing filter that i could screw direct onto the end of my lens? and not too expensive?

thanks

There are CPL's commonly available for just about every standard filter size from 40mm upwards to 82mm....they get a little expensive and more difficult to source after that.

Bob

Be aware that if the front element of your lens rotates when focussing (which a lot of the cheaper lenses do) it may be a bit of a pain to use as you'll need to hold the filter still while focussing and taking the shot.

ah that would make sense, would that be why it would be better in a holder?

Yes, it's probably easier to kepp the holder in place than a filter screwed directly on to the lens.

Yes, it's probably easier to kepp the holder in place than a filter screwed directly on to the lens.

I've got to disagree with that one Jim. I'd be very reluctant to hold the filter mount and let the focus motor fight any friction that had been induced.

Bob

ah that would make sense, would that be why it would be better in a holder?

Not really, the holder will rotate as well.

It's no big deal if the front of your lens rotates with focusing, and polarisers have a rotating mount anyway, as that's how you use them.

Just focus roughly, rotate the filter as appropriate, then fine focus. The position of the polariser is not that critical - within a few degrees is as good as it gets.

Back