Porsche engine

Name
Fizan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, been a member on TP for quite some time but have never really posted anything, just thought i'd give it a go

Picture was taken in Stuttgart in February at the Porsche Museum. Its been quite awhile so I've forgotten which engine this is. Just to be clear, I like taking picture for the overall pattern and abstract look to it. C&C are very much welcomed

5242489129_739dec7096_b.jpg

5242488995_415d622417_b.jpg

cheers
Fizan

well it has a gas flowed exhaust system and looks like a V-8
probably fuel injected and with a massive oil cooler
from a photographic point of view
the metal textures look good and very silky finish and no apparent overly bright highlights or dense shadows
was this converted from colour?
cheers
geof

Well as far as I am aware Porsche only did V8's in the 928 and the cayenne/panamera.

Certainly a nice piece of engineering. Trying to figure out if the trumpets are aftermarket porsche add-ons or part of an older V8 found on a 928.

I will say it's an old 928 engine.

ahh yes, according to wiki, carrera gt is the only v10 engine by porsche, a massive 5.7L

well it has a gas flowed exhaust system and looks like a V-8
probably fuel injected and with a massive oil cooler
from a photographic point of view
the metal textures look good and very silky finish and no apparent overly bright highlights or dense shadows
was this converted from colour?
cheers
geof

it actually still has colours in it, i only shifted the temp a little bit gi give a warmer look. the only thing that bothers me is the highlight in the top and bottom left of the 1st picture. i did a pp vignetting to try and tone it down, not sure if it worked.

thanks for the comments guys

sorry to sound a neanderthal, and a 100% genuine question, but what exactly makes it look a v10........ and to be honest, i wouldn't know an exhaust port if it smacked me in the eye and called me Susan.

As t the pics, I like them in a kind of abstract way, as in they would work the wall of a Porsche dealership, but maybe not one for the mantlepiece?

(y)(y)(y)

thanks!! look at the first picture, the pistons are in a V shape(the cut out sectioned part) and the exhaust manifold has 5 tubes on one side, so makes it a V10. does that sound right?

sorry to sound a neanderthal, and a 100% genuine question, but what exactly makes it look a v10........
(y)(y)(y)

Its not straightforward on that engine as half of it is cut away but if you count the headers on one side before they join you get 5, plus another 5 on the other bank and 2 banks of 5 each in a V arrangement when viewed head on makes it a V10. The first shot shows off the exhaust port well, if you look above where the oil cooler is cut away (the meshey bit on the bottom) its basically the hole in the side of the cylinder where the exhaust bolts on, or to get technical the port which is open on the 4th stroke of the cycle through which combusted gasses are exhausted. If in doubt you could count spark plugs, HT leads or injectors.

As for the mantelpiece your right, probably not. It would make an impressive coffee table though......

ha ha - got you with the 5 exhaust tube things........(y)

think i got confused with bits being cut away and chopped off.

didn't top gear once have a v8 coffee table?

vw and audi do a straight 5

Okay, I'll spoil the engine love-in.....

Great subject, not something you see much of outside of a car enthusiast website, so I personally think there's massive potential for some really abstract stuff to be done here.

Also, appreciate that you're shooting in a museum so A) light is limited, B) time to shoot is probably limited, and C) you shooting angles are also pretty limited.

The first shot is an engine, plain and simple. To a 'regular viewer' like me (i.e. someone who's not knowledgeable about engines) it really doesn't do anything. Too many things going on and there's no focus on any particular shape within the shot. The sepia look isn't my thing either, and there looks to be a vignette applied that just makes things look murky towards the corners.

The second shot is getting into more creative territory because it's focussing more on a particular section of the engine but again, it's too busy and there's no use of depth-of-field to pick out individual details.

As abstracts they just don't work because you can still tell it's an engine.

Like I said, you're probably very limited in how you can shoot something like this but these just look like pictures of engines to me and nothing more 'artistic'. :)

Last edited:
Back