Critique Porthdinllaen Stormy Weather plus stormy sunset

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Got round to processing some of the better shots whilst away with the family. Although a terrible day for the beach in many ways, it provided a bit of a focus to the photographs. All handheld as i had the 6yr old and the hound running around me so no time for grads or tripods. I'm not sure if no.3 is a little wonky...it comes up as straight with the tool, but it appears the opticals from the land mass of the Rivals throws it off?

Storm Passing Through by DuncanTyson, on Flickr

Porth Dinllaen Causeway by DuncanTyson, on Flickr

Porth Dinllaen on the Rocks by DuncanTyson, on Flickr

Porth Dinllaen on the Rocks Pt2 by DuncanTyson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the composition of the 1st shot, the heavy sky is very atmospheric too.

I like the beach series, although the comp of #2 isn't doing a great deal for me.

The sunset shot looks like the colours have been push a tad too far, and the details in the barn lifted to much.

I'm not qualified to critique, however these are a great set of images, very dark, moody and atmospheric & I like them a lot (y)

I like the beach series, although the comp of #2 isn't doing a great deal for me.

The sunset shot looks like the colours have been push a tad too far, and the details in the barn lifted to much.
Too obvious on the comp for 2?

I was unsure how far to push this...the vividness was insane on the night as they were such dark clouds still reflecting.

Is it too much detail on the barn or just too light?

Thanks for taking time to respond as well...only way we can improve.

Thanks everyone else too. It was certainly different to what I hoped to be photographing.

I like the sky on the first one, but would be interested to have seen more of the boats and their relationship to the sea/sand and that interesting building on the left. Also there are some very nice interactions between the clouds and the distant hills - again, more of this would have been great.

I suspect you've done what I've often done and tried to fit everything into the frame at once, being a bit wowed by a super-ominous sky.

Some really nice textures in the rocks in the second pair.

I only had my 10-20mm with me so not much chance for more focus on the distant stuff. It was all handheld and whilst walking down the beach with 3yr old and 6yr old with me, and the border collie wanting sticks thrown in.

Good pointers to have a look when next down there though. Need to ensure I have my walk around lens on me.

I was disappointed by the causeway shot, which I wanted to reframe but had my 3rd old ambling over towards mein those rocks in no3!

Does anyone else shoot under these conditions?

I only had my 10-20mm with me so not much chance for more focus on the distant stuff. It was all handheld and whilst walking down the beach with 3yr old and 6yr old with me, and the border collie wanting sticks thrown in.

Good pointers to have a look when next down there though. Need to ensure I have my walk around lens on me.

I was disappointed by the causeway shot, which I wanted to reframe but had my 3rd old ambling over towards mein those rocks in no3!

Does anyone else shoot under these conditions?
Oh yes :)

I got this with two hyper yorkies in tow, in a high wind; took it one-handed whilst trying to keep the dogs behind me out of shot as they had developed a keen interest in the camera.

Back