"possible" 70-200 VR Replacement

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
Morning all

This is something I have thought about over the weekend since using my 300mm AF-S

Altough I always thought that zooms would suite me better than primes after using the 300mm more over the weekend I feel that would get more use than my 70-200VR

now assuming I was to let it go (70-200) what would be a suitable replacement? a two touch 80-200? 80-200 AF-S, even the sigma 70-200?

Having used the Sigma 70-200 I feel its good but I noticed a difference going to the Nikon 70-200 so I am not sure that would be a wise move going back but I am open to ideas

Any thoughts on this?

80-200mm AF-S would probably be the one out of that list....the difference in price (used) these days would probably not be worth it though.

The later 80-200 AF-D/S are optically similar to the 70-200 VR, however the AF-D has a well-documented issue with newer bodies which can throw up an error code at really inopportune moments.

Have a look at the Power Images site, Colin, who posts on here, shoots with the AF-S in combination with the 300 AF-S you have, his partner-in-crime shoots with the 70-200 VR, so you should be able to get an idea of any differences in iq.

The sigma 70-200 is pretty good although compared to a nikon vr its nowhere near as fast or as capable in low light, however in decent light and assuming you have a tri/monopod or can hold it handheld steady enough its a cracking lens

the price difference did make me wonder, the last 80-200 AF-S was advertsied at around £800 IIRC so it then wouldnt be worth me changing to be honest

I was using 80mm or there abouts on Friday, possibly less at times so you never know :LOL:

somewhere like Cadwell gets you really close in places

Another thought could also be a 50-150 Sigma, how good are they?

I like mine however I take mainly portrait/candid people shots....I would have thought the longer lenses would better for motorsport.

Back