Possible Upgrade .... Advice NEEDED!!!!

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all I don’t know where to start I’ve got some many things to ask and things going round my head!! I’ve currently got a Nikon D5200 and will be upgrading at some point ….. My original choices were staying crop and going with the Nikon D7100 or the new D7*** when it comes out as I've never thought about FF and always fancied the d7100 BUT ……. In the back of my mind I'm starting to think that if I’m going to upgrade why not spend a little extra and go FF and go for the d750 now so that I haven’t got the urge to upgrade again so ……. I understand my position moving to the d7*** its pretty straight forward as id keep my current kit (Nikon D5200, Nikon 35mm 1.8, Nikon 16-85, Tokina 11-16, and Nikon 70-300) and just have to change the body but move to FF I would have to sell it all or would I????

Firstly the Nikon d750 has FF and Crop mode so does that mean I could get the body put it in crop mode and keep my 70-300??

If that works my plan would be sell everything apart from the 70-300 and use that on the d750 in crop mode as I very rarely use it any way as my main focus is Landscape’s and Astro photography but buy 2 real FX lenses to cover my focal range I mostly use (I haven’t decided out of these 5 which 2 but Nikon 14-24, Nikon 16-35, Nikon 24-120, Nikon 24-70, Nikon 17-35 would also consider the Tokin equivalent to those lenses as I’ve been so impressed with the 11-16)

The reason I’m thinking like this is I know I wont get much of an improvement moving to the d7100 so that’s why I was holding out for the new d7*** just to see what that comes with but if again there’s no much in it other than the layout of buttons and handles noise slightly better I maybe swayed to go FF as I know ill get an improvement for landscapes and it will handle noise so much better which will benefit my Astro stuff to….

Does all that make sense? Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Always possible to use Dx lenses on Fx bodies in crop mode (with Nikons) but no need with the 70-300 since they're all (apart from the 1 series one) Fx lenses anyway. The 24-120 is a decent range as a walkabout lens but not particularly cheap (unless compared to the f/2.8 lenses!!!)

Always possible to use Dx lenses on Fx bodies in crop mode (with Nikons) but no need with the 70-300 since they're all (apart from the 1 series one) Fx lenses anyway. The 24-120 is a decent range as a walkabout lens but not particularly cheap (unless compared to the f/2.8 lenses!!!)

Thanks for the reply it kinda makes sense so maybe I might just upgrade to FF instead of sticking with crop

I think I'm more likely to get the 16-35 and 24-120 then the 70-300 that would more than cover what I use just allot better quality than the d5200

If you can afford to go FF and don't mind the weight/expense increases, then go for it.
But you have to question as to if the costs are "worth it" and of any real benefit to you. "We" can't really answer that question for you; but with some more information as to what you shoot/need we might provide better opinions/guidance.

My personal opinion is that for 95% of photographers FF is 5% required/justified.

Similar situation here.

Sold my Fuji XT1 this week and I'm un-decided whether to go D750 and cheaper glass for the time being or D7100 and 300mm F4 which I can afford now. I want it for small bird photography in the garden and will buy a CSC next year for going out. Although, I am a pixel peeper as I have to much time on my hands being home all day.

I have the " what if " in my mind, between the two. I have got the D7000 vs D7100 in my mind as I owned one before switching to Fuji and I prefered the Fuji output to the D7000. Also, considering a Olympus EM1.

Last edited:
It's all about the glass really, in your situation I'd go for the D7100 & 300 f/4 (with the possibility to use a 1.4x TC) over a D750 with cheaper glass on it.

If you can afford to go FF and don't mind the weight/expense increases, then go for it.
But you have to question as to if the costs are "worth it" and of any real benefit to you. "We" can't really answer that question for you; but with some more information as to what you shoot/need we might provide better opinions/guidance.

My personal opinion is that for 95% of photographers FF is 5% required/justified.

Well based on my rough guess estimates it will cost me about £400 to upgrade to d7*** and about another £300 to go FF once I sell what I've got to sell so I think I could afford it and once I've got the lenses I need then I doubt if ever buy more unless I start buying primes

Well I'm a pixel peeper for one so clear, crisp, sharp images are a must for me
But I basically landscapes and Astro is about 90% of my focus and the other 10% would be covered by the 70-300

So for me I think the d750 and the 16-35 would be a perfect match for landscapes and Astro as wide but also handles high ISO which I need
The 24-120 would cover a walk about lens but I've been reading reviews and for the money the 28-300 is a better buy that would then free up more £££ and space in my bag

Specific lenses can be decided later as Id be more than happy with the d750 and 16-35 for a while so could then look at Sigma Tokina mid range lenses could even consider a Samyang 14mm for astro

D750 would be a great choice for landscape/ astro and general use. I'd actually say the D810 might be even better as it doesn't sound like you have any need for frame rate etc... but it could be overkill as well.

If you are a pixel peeper you don't want the 28-300... it's a descent "do it all" in good light, but it doesn't really excel at anything.

Thanks for the suggestion of the 810 but I think it may be over kill and it hasn’t got the flip out screen and it’s bigger and heavier
What I’ve read so far is that the 16-35 is a killer lens for sharpness so that’s me sorted with Body and 1st Lens what I need to decide now as you say the 28-300 isn’t the best as an all-rounder so where do I go from 35+ to 70mm
I thought the 28-300 would get rid of the 70-300 but if the 28-300 isn’t up to scratch I would keep the 70-300
Lens choices for a walk about lens please

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is pretty damn good and pretty damn cheap - a combo I like! I bought one to fill the gap I have from 16-35 to 70-200/300.

The D7100 + f4 300 work very well together, I've used that combo on motorsport and birding with great results. I'm still tempted to try a FF body but am not sure it would improve my results, if I was convinced of it I would . Am also tempted by a f2.8 300mm but for the same reasons am holding back, would it really be a worth while improvement over the f4 300 considering the costs ?
I went for the 24-70 f2.8 and am happy with it but then I have a Sigma 10-20 too, there are many options out there to choose from.

I think the Tokina works on FF at around 15mm? Not really much help I know, but it would get you by UWA wise for a short while until you could replace it. That's in FX mode aswell, not DX.

I believe @Carlh uses his on his 6d.

Thanks for the suggestion of the 810 but I think it may be over kill and it hasn’t got the flip out screen and it’s bigger and heavier
What I’ve read so far is that the 16-35 is a killer lens for sharpness so that’s me sorted with Body and 1st Lens what I need to decide now as you say the 28-300 isn’t the best as an all-rounder so where do I go from 35+ to 70mm
I thought the 28-300 would get rid of the 70-300 but if the 28-300 isn’t up to scratch I would keep the 70-300
Lens choices for a walk about lens please

Not sure a D800 or 810 will reward a pixel peeper! Especially with a superzoom. Even the 70-300 might be shown up on one (to a pixel peeper). There's a much quoted trinity of FF Nikkor zooms, 14-24, 24-70 & 70-200, all f/2.8 but they ain't a cheap option!

Given that you can use the 11-16 on a full frame camera successfully at 16mm, there wouldn't be any point using it 11mm in crop mode - 11mm in DX is basically the same as 16mm in FX so you'd be wasting over half the resolution in crop mode to get effectively the same focal length

Given that you can use the 11-16 on a full frame camera successfully at 16mm, there wouldn't be any point using it 11mm in crop mode - 11mm in DX is basically the same as 16mm in FX so you'd be wasting over half the resolution in crop mode to get effectively the same focal length

Thanks I'll stick with that

But would using the d750 in crop mode produce better images than the d5200 i.e at high ISO?

The D8xx requires excellent everything (lens/tripod/technique/etc) if you are a pixel peeper.

I use the 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 120-300... I do have a few primes/specialty lenses in that mix but they don't get used quite as much (except my 400mm for wildlife). Mine are all the f/2.8 varieties (other than the 16-35) but the 70-200 f/4 might suit you better.

I also own the Sigma 12-24 for the effect, but it's not a particularly outstanding lens.

For you I think the 16-35 and the 70-200 f/4 are good choices... maybe fill in the gap with a cheaper zoom or a prime later.

I think the Tokina works on FF at around 15mm? Not really much help I know, but it would get you by UWA wise for a short while until you could replace it. That's in FX mode aswell, not DX.

I believe @Carlh uses his on his 6d.
works well at 15mm and 16mm on the 6d, not sharp at F2.8 but great at around F11, vignetting is horrible at 11mm and pointless, its a good wide angle lens though, solid build, no switch for auto-focus/manual focus, the ring pushes forward and backward to enable that, which can accidentally be done though so you need to check that you've got it on the focus setting you want as theres nothing worse than taking a photo on manual focus without setting it or on auto focus and focussing on the wrong area. Bit fiddly but I like it

works well at 15mm and 16mm on the 6d, not sharp at F2.8 but great at around F11, vignetting is horrible at 11mm and pointless, its a good wide angle lens though, solid build, no switch for auto-focus/manual focus, the ring pushes forward and backward to enable that, which can accidentally be done though so you need to check that you've got it on the focus setting you want as theres nothing worse than taking a photo on manual focus without setting it or on auto focus and focussing on the wrong area. Bit fiddly but I like it

Yeah I already own the Tokina and I love it!! ha funny you should mention that I think I've been victim of that on my recent trip to the lakes...

think I've decided though I'm selling the kit and keeping my Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 70-300vr and buying a Nikon d750 .... IM GOING FX

wont be for a couple months though :(

Back