Praktica MTL5B

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Took my mum round to my grand dad's house yesterday after my grand daughter came round to see me (there is a photo in there somewhere :)). Anyway whilst at my parent's house my dad nips out and pops this tatty camera bag on the coffee table.

"Is this worth anything" he asks.

I look in the bag......(its like christmas)....

1 mechanical light meter........ (no idea how to use it!)
1 zoom lens......... (no idea what it is or even its range but it looks in good condition)
1 Pentacon 50mm f1.8 prime lens........ (no lens cap)
1 Praktica MTL5B camera appears to be in reasonable condition.
1 remote
1 manual
1 PrACTIKA 1600A flash with manual
3 35mm colour films
1 seriously cheapo tripod

I explain that I have absolutely no idea what its worth but tell them that Cameron (my son) is doing A level photography next year and so could probably do with a film camera too. So they said that he could have it for Christmas.

What is it worth?
Has anybody used one before?

The metering system seems very cumbersome ie set ISO for the film, set aperture, press button on front and look through view finder at needle, if it is not in the right place between the marks change the shutter speed or aperture and repeat till it is..... Or have I got this wrong?

I could do with learning how to use the light meter too but I will ask about that later :)

An MTL5B my first SLR about 30 years ago. :eek:

From what I can remember your description of the metering system is correct, seriously manual and none of this microprocesser controlled malarky. Although it was pretty accurate once you got used to it going from the photos I managed to take.

If I remember it correctly the metering was powered by a small CR type battery you inserted into the base of the body.

I don't have an mtl5 but I have an mtl3 which is very similar. The metering is exactly how you describe and is actually a very nice system. The lenses are m42 mount and will fit a wide range of cameras. They will work quite nicely if your son needs a film SLR. Not the sexiest of cameras but very useable

I have an MTL5B its a sweet little thing

battery in the bottom does the meter and mines accurate at least compared to my 50d :D

Was my 2nd SLR way back when... first was an LTL.

Easy to use once you know how...

As for the light meter - I have loads, got to a point where I was "collecting" them... there's something about them that I like :wacky:

Don't actually use one though!

Thanks, it did not seem very intuitive but if that is how it is done then I seem to have done it right. I stuck a film in it yesterday and Mrs C is going to have a play too. We just wanted to make sure that it actually works before giving it to him for Christmas.

As for the light meter - I have loads, got to a point where I was "collecting" them... there's something about them that I like :wacky:

Don't actually use one though!

I have no idea how to use it !

Easy, which light meter is it ?, there's no such thing as a mechanical light meter, analogue maybe.

The best thing about these types of cameras is the mount, M42, and the cheap fablious lenses available for it from loads of weird and wonderful manufacturers you've never heard of :LOL:

***What is it worth?**

Not much maybe £35 for the lot, on ebay.

Easy, which light meter is it ?, there's no such thing as a mechanical light meter, analogue maybe.

The best thing about these types of cameras is the mount, M42, and the cheap fablious lenses available for it from loads of weird and wonderful manufacturers you've never heard of :LOL:

The light meter is a "Euro-Master" manufactured by East Kilbride instruments.

I will post some pictures to give you an idea.....

prac100.jpg

prac101.jpg

prac102.jpg

prac103.jpg

***What is it worth?**

Not much maybe £35 for the lot, on ebay.

Not necessarily - working Euromasters with the invercone and cases in perfect condition can go for £35 by themselves, but commonly go for £10ish

Get yourself some film and have a play... I've been retroing it recently, mucking around with some "old" stuff (all 80's 35mm unfortunately) just for the fun of it...

Not necessarily - working Euromasters with the invercone and cases in perfect condition can go for £35 by themselves, but commonly go for £10ish

Get yourself some film and have a play... I've been retroing it recently, mucking around with some "old" stuff (all 80's 35mm unfortunately) just for the fun of it...

Well the light meter is pretty much perfect including the case with the light cone in its own case which is also perfect. Only thing missing is the instruction manual :) Help!

I have an MTL5B in my mums loft, with a vivitar 80-200 mm lens and a 2x teleconverter ( I thought I was the daddy ) and a big crappy flash on a bracket, I was only 12 when I had it.

Any good Chris... :shrug:

EuroMaster

Plenty more where that came from... :D

:p

Chris?

Thanks for the link that is very handy, I am just printing the instructions out now.

Maybe I should have been more specific, I don't know how to use ANY light meter :)

prac101.jpg

1. set iso, its set to 200
2. take a light reading, say its 13
3. spin the disk till that red mark is lined up with 13 on the inner disk
4. the middle disk indicates aperture and it will line up with shutter speeds on the outer disk.
so *guesses* f/11 will be opposite 250 = 1/250th, f/8 will be opposite 1/500th, all the apps will line up with a shutter speed giving you the full range of app/shutter speed combinations.

simplez

Now fix my Mac...:LOL:

Chris?

Thanks for the link that is very handy, I am just printing the instructions out now.

Maybe I should have been more specific, I don't know how to use ANY light meter :)

Oops... :confused: ... wrong person right thread... :D ... or is that right person wrong thread... :naughty:

Instructions are really simple to follow and it is like taking candy... :shrug: ... really... ;)

:p

Fantastic I seem to have sussed it but when I was first messing the button on the side when depressed seemed to lock the meter but now it is just staying in and the meter is free to move. I have looked in the instructions and it talks of locking and unlocking it but nothing is happening now. The button is just staying in.

Its probably to stop the iso selector from moving in your pocket or whatever, cos that would bugger up your readings.
Maybe give it a bit of a wiggle, it may pop out and be locked again..:)

ere, these meters usually have another scale for readings in really low light.
on the back of my Weston was a door, when you opened it it exposed more of the selenium sensor and automatically changed the scale in the top window..

No it is just not locking the meter any more.

Maybe you have to do 2 things at the same time to lock it..I dunno...manual time..

*edit*, it says you have to twist it a quarter turn as you press it

Maybe you have to do 2 things at the same time to lock it..I dunno...manual time..

It says in the manual:

POINTER LOCK
Press to release
Press and turn to make inoperative.

Ok then give us a clue what do we do to make it operative ???

I have tried turning it. I think maybe I have pressed it too hard or something but it will not lock the guage it just shows the actual value constantly.

No its just not popping out, I think there is something wrong with it.

well, in its case with the back door shut, it isn't going to read anything anyway..:)

well, in its case with the back door shut, it isn't going to read anything anyway..:)

It is out of its case and I have the door open. It is reading the light but it should do that with the button down then lock when you let go of the button shouldn't it?

I dunno, reading the instructions, are you saying the needle is jammed at your initial reading and you can't release it, or its moving all the time with the light and you can't lock it ?

I dunno, reading the instructions, are you saying the needle is jammed at your initial reading and you can't release it, or its moving all the time with the light and you can't lock it ?

The lock and unlock mechanism was broken. The plastic of the button must have broken off inside. Whilst trying to release it it fell to pieces (the button) so now there is a small hole where the button was. Inside you can see the lever which locks and unlocks the gauge. Looks like my gauge will be missing its lock. It is working other than that. The lever does still lock/unlock but it would not be practical to actually use it that way! It would of been easier had there been some way of actually taking it apart easily.

Back